Timh81

Water ingress annoyance

Just can't believe that my 10 month old avante 586 is going in this week to have the front end rebuilt. Water has managed to get through the front window bar and soaked the front board. I reported this three months ago to my dealer and they quickly got it booked in for an assessment. It's taken three months to get parts and they didn't see the benefit of sealing the leak before sending it back so after three months of bad weather the water damage has spread over the front whole panel. I damp tested the walls and those too now are showing slight damp. Very angry especially as we decided to cancel our half term trip as it was so  damp. What will the job entail? Will it be a complete front removal? What should a look for upon collection? I'm also having a bowed roof timber replaced at the same time. Will this be a roof removal too? Will my caravan be the same after? All these questions I have and my dealer shrugs them off with don't worry it happens all the time. Really? In that case there's a major quality issue here if this is a common issue. Common elddis get these reoccurring common issues sorted, your 10 year water ingress guarantee is going to be getting some use by the looks of it.

8 minutes ago, Timh81 said:

Just can't believe that my 10 month old avante 586 is going in this week to have the front end rebuilt. Water has managed to get through the front window bar and soaked the front board. I reported this three months ago to my dealer and they quickly got it booked in for an assessment. It's taken three months to get parts and they didn't see the benefit of sealing the leak before sending it back so after three months of bad weather the water damage has spread over the front whole panel. I damp tested the walls and those too now are showing slight damp. Very angry especially as we decided to cancel our half term trip as it was so  damp. What will the job entail? Will it be a complete front removal? What should a look for upon collection? I'm also having a bowed roof timber replaced at the same time. Will this be a roof removal too? Will my caravan be the same after? All these questions I have and my dealer shrugs them off with don't worry it happens all the time. Really? In that case there's a major quality issue here if this is a common issue. Common elddis get these reoccurring common issues sorted, your 10 year water ingress guarantee is going to be getting some use by the looks of it.

All these questions I have and my dealer shrugs them off with don't worry it happens all the time.

Sadly it appears true from many posts on CT.

Amazing that the dealer can be so blasé about such a major fault, even worse is the three months delay for parts, then to add insult to injury no attempt is made to prevent further water ingress.

The damp appearing in the walls you have spotted is only to be expected in the above scenario, however what about there being damp in areas you are unable to access ?

Then to put the top hat on it all there is a bowed roof timber and what usually causes timber to warp. ...........yes moisture, possibly suggesting another unseen water leak.

At 10 months old I know what I would be doing with it and it certainly wouldn't be having it back.

Imagine the dealers reaction if his 10 month old car, say a Range Rover, Merc, BMW etc developed a fault and the dealer said " Oh it happens all the time, don't worry, leave it with us, we'll give you a call in about 3 months when the parts arrive".

What would he do ?

Accept the wait, not on your Nellie.

Reject the van and sue the dealer.

2 minutes ago, DaveMiller said:

Reject the van and sue the dealer.

Certainly reject the van then  find different dealer if you want another one.  

With all the potential problems you are looking at you should not even consider taking the van back after repair.  

Sounds like another Lemon, I'd reject the van and let the dealer do the worrying, they seem very happy to do the same to you!

Remember the dealer is not your friend, they are not doing you any favours, they simply want your cash with the very minimum of bother to them, and they have already proved this by leaving you stuck with a problem and a depreciating asset for the last 3 months.

"Not fit for purpose" comes to mind.

Insist on your money back

Our 2011 Elddis Avante 515 at about 3 years old in had damp in the front panel which was fixed by a new awning rail and the inside front panel was replaced. Done under warranty and it has not been damp since.

If the dealer was notified about the issue within the first 6 months they have to be given the opportunity to do a repair before you can request a replacement or repair.   After the first 6 months it is up to the customer to prove an inherent fault in order to get a refund.  

IMHO damp is an inherent fault as the fault was there when the customer took delivery.   BTW the Elddis 10 year water ingress warranty is only for seal joints however it is for the dealer to rectify and damp issues.

If you pay a deposit with a CC then that is probably your first port of call.   If the caravan is on HP then the finance company needs to be notified that you are not happy because they own the caravan and the contract is between the finance house and the yourself.     Advise them that you wish to reject the caravan as you are paying for something you cannot use.

When, during the first service, damp was detected in my two year old pre-owned caravan the dealer suggested that I could continue to use my caravan until it was mutually convenient for the repairs to be carried out. The repair involved replacing the rear panel. It is seven years since the repair and there is no sign of damp, despite the caravan being used throughout the year and stored out of doors. I am surprised that the dealer did not suggest that the caravan could be used until the repair was scheduled. :rolleyes:

I will certainly be chasing compensation for loss of earnings, fuel costs for transportation (been back 4 times in the first 12 months) I sort of hope that the dealership can do a better job than the sloppy production line at elddis. Apart from the issues I am more than happy with the van. The layout and design is fantastic and I've loved it since the moment I saw it. I just hope the finish is to my standard. The dealership didn't say I couldn't use it but the amount of condensation was awful we didn't fancy using it. I will see what next week brings. If I'm not happy with the work then I'm not accepting it.

10 hours ago, Timh81 said:

We were looking at an Elddis crusader but on visiting 1 dealer we found a brand new van with water damage around the front windows, how did that ever get through QC on closer inspection the window rails at the front were loose with no sealant, I think they call it the human factor😡

2 hours ago, Timh81 said:

I will certainly be chasing compensation for loss of earnings, fuel costs for transportation (been back 4 times in the first 12 months) I sort of hope that the dealership can do a better job than the sloppy production line at elddis. Apart from the issues I am more than happy with the van. The layout and design is fantastic and I've loved it since the moment I saw it. I just hope the finish is to my standard. The dealership didn't say I couldn't use it but the amount of condensation was awful we didn't fancy using it. I will see what next week brings. If I'm not happy with the work then I'm not accepting it.

Condensation can be quite common dependent on weather or atmosperic conditions. When condensation appears it is quite usual to soak up the excess  moisture and ventilate the caravan.

10 hours ago, Timh81 said:

I think other people have tried for compensation for these things without success as its in the warranty terms and conditions so they can get away with it. :(

51 minutes ago, ian16527 said:

I think other people have tried for compensation for these things without success as its in the warranty terms and conditions so they can get away with it. :(

We got paid quite a substantial amount of compensation for lost holidays, fuel costs etc. however we had receipts and were able to offer them as proof of purchase.    We also got a refund for the deposit we paid at a campsite.   If you do not ask, you get nothing.   BTW the caravan in question was on HP and the deposit had been paid using a CC.

22 hours ago, Durbanite said:

We got paid quite a substantial amount of compensation for lost holidays, fuel costs etc. however we had receipts and were able to offer them as proof of purchase.    We also got a refund for the deposit we paid at a campsite.   If you do not ask, you get nothing.   BTW the caravan in question was on HP and the deposit had been paid using a CC.

I think the OP is looking at a repair at the dealers not a rejection (yet). Good luck to Tim if he gets some goodwill out of them.

We have an Elddis Supreme (Avante) 550 and had the same problem back at the end of September when we were away with the van. We contacted our dealer immediately who knew exactly what the problem was. Fortunately we had some wide waterproof tape among my tools I carry and placed it over the narrow gap where the windows hinge. Being black tape it was also hardly noticeable. It worked perfectly and no more water came onto the front ledge in the van.

Whilst away I also discussed the fact that I would have a round trip of nearly 330 miles and could I use an Authorised Repairer only 14 miles away . They then contacted them and said everything was alright and they would despatch the necessary parts. My tape kept the van dry and everything was done within a few days of my return. To date there appears to be no further leaks. Dealers often get all sorts of criticism but on this occasion Preston Caravans and Crossburn Caravans in Peebles could not be faulted.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay in a repost but works been hectic. Just been and collected the caravan today and on first inspection the work looked great. However, Getting back to the storage yard I spotted a few issues. Firstly one of the speaker grills had dropped into the front bench during travel. Not an issue I thought maybe needs clicking back in. The dealer has somehow managed to break the speaker grill so used a screw through the mesh and into the speaker surround to keep it in place. Wrecked both speakers and one isn't working at all. The gap between the facia board and the roof light is different on both sides and all the cupboard doors are out of alignment or loose in some cases. Also the microwave hadn't been refitted correctly despite them refuting removing it to repair the roof. It's the detail that let them down. I spent the last few hours up there and managed to realign a few doors and I removed the facia panel and refitted it correctly to correct the gap as well as refitting the microwave back in the middle of the cupboard correctly. I'm sending the dealer photos of the speakers so I hope they can just send me a set because I'm not lugging it all the way back for a set of £30 speakers. The dealer also refutes bodging the speakers and pretty much accused me of doing it. Pretty angry tbh and it's disgusting I have to finish work they couldn't.  

IMG_20181213_150023.jpg

IMG_20181213_150053.jpg

Dont want to put a dampener on it but the speakers do have a screw in them. bottom middle.

15 hours ago, smino0_1 said:

Dont want to put a dampener on it but the speakers do have a screw in them. bottom middle.

but not through the cone part as that will affect the sound as the cone cannot vibrate correctly.