Emmy89

Issues with my chosen storage site

On 05/12/2018 at 12:51, Silversurf said:

Hypothetical scenario.

It would be of interest to know what the results of an insurance claim for theft of a caravan would be, if, during investigation, the insurance company found the site had self assessed, but didn't have the actual deterrents, security  arrangements determined by CaSSAO for membership in place and was then not entitled to be classed as a CaSSOA site.

Potential of lots of wriggle room for the insurance company.

That would only apply if storing the van on a cassao site was a requirement of the insurance.

If it was me I would be concerned if the storage yard has no planning permission as the council will order the site cleared possibly 14 days and if the owner does not comply they will clear it and possibly take your caravan away . Which you will then have to prove ownership to reclaim .

We have seen this before when storage sites have no planning permission and yours sounds like  access disruption to locals and storing caravans with gas bottles could be an issue near homes .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Isn't CASOA now owned by some American company?

2 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Isn't CASOA now owned by some American company?

Amtrust Securities, has been around for a long time.

geoff

Cassoa site now back up and working

• Thanks 1

On 05/12/2018 at 22:41, Jiffy176 said:

Could part of this also be local resident over egging the pudding as they dont want caravans going in and out. Different story if the cassoa rating is fraudulent.

I called the council and they have confirmed what the resident told us.

Completely illegal storage site 😞

14 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

If it was me I would be concerned if the storage yard has no planning permission as the council will order the site cleared possibly 14 days and if the owner does not comply they will clear it and possibly take your caravan away . Which you will then have to prove ownership to reclaim .

We have seen this before when storage sites have no planning permission and yours sounds like  access disruption to locals and storing caravans with gas bottles could be an issue near homes .

Dave

We actually passed a huge wagon full of gas cannisters being delivered when we went up last, i had no idea that could even be another issue.

Seems like this place is opening up a van of worms.

We've had it confirmed there is no planning, but we think we've found another site further a field.

Its been so stressful, but the credit card company have said they should be able to help so we can move the caravan asap.

If CASSOA have the site as a CASSOA Gold site surely they can be done for misleading advertising as perhaps  they have a responsibility or duty of care towards customers or something along those lines? 

In fact they have misled the insurance industry by publishing false information as they never bothered to check the site for planning permission etc.   It seems they prefer to sit on their backsides raking in the money from CASSOA sites without checking.

It would be nice if someone sued them to give them a big wake up call!

6 hours ago, Emmy89 said:

I called the council and they have confirmed what the resident told us.

Completely illegal storage site 😞

We actually passed a huge wagon full of gas cannisters being delivered when we went up last, i had no idea that could even be another issue.

Seems like this place is opening up a van of worms.

We've had it confirmed there is no planning, but we think we've found another site further a field.

Its been so stressful, but the credit card company have said they should be able to help so we can move the caravan asap.

The above in red raises more concerns.

When you were on site, did you notice gas cylinders being stored and does the site advertise selling gas on the site, if not could the wagon simply have been delivering a couple for use on the site,site cabin/ office etc.

If they are being stored on site this raises other questions such as, has a risk assessment taken place, have the fire brigade been invited to give advice, especially as you say, the route to the site is difficult and I would presume present a problem for fire engine access.

I wonder  has he got insurance to cover gas storage, ( makes you wonder if he has any insurance at all ) and more interesting " The storage of packaged dangerous substances. Gas cylinders are classed as hazardous substances and consequently gas cylinder stores will require relevant land use permission and may require planning permission from local authorities. "

A possible further enquiry to the council to see if gas storage is allowed at the site !

12 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

When you were on site, did you notice gas cylinders being stored and does the site advertise selling gas on the site, if not could the wagon simply have been delivering a couple for use on the site,site cabin/ office etc.

If they are being stored on site this raises other questions such as, has a risk assessment taken place, have the fire brigade been invited to give advice, especially as you say, the route to the site is difficult and I would presume present a problem for fire engine access.

I wonder  has he got insurance to cover gas storage, ( makes you wonder if he has any insurance at all ) and more interesting " The storage of packaged dangerous substances. Gas cylinders are classed as hazardous substances and consequently gas cylinder stores will require relevant land use permission and may require planning permission from local authorities. "

A possible further enquiry to the council to see if gas storage is allowed at the site !

There are only two issues here:-

1. The OP quite rightly, wants to protect her and her partners own property by obtaining alternative storage and, if possible, getting their money back.

2. All the rest, not really the OPs responsibility but, if they  choose, they could get involved to help the residents and other owners protect their property, together with all the legal issues.

13 hours ago, Silversurf said:

From what i gathered the gas was possibly being delivered to this site and another business.

In the same unit there is also a metalworks and a granite cutter, again bit shocked all this is bang next to houses and backs straight on to a nursing home.

Im going to ring the council and see if theyll look into it.

After learning everything i have i want as much evidence to show the owner is a cowboy to try help getting the money back.

13 hours ago, Durbanite said:

If CASSOA have the site as a CASSOA Gold site surely they can be done for misleading advertising as perhaps  they have a responsibility or duty of care towards customers or something along those lines? 

In fact they have misled the insurance industry by publishing false information as they never bothered to check the site for planning permission etc.   It seems they prefer to sit on their backsides raking in the money from CASSOA sites without checking.

It would be nice if someone sued them to give them a big wake up call!

The quote on the storage site advertisement is

'Meets cassoa silver standard'.

But its not listed on Cassoa.

Will email them about it.  

This owner is a complete law unto himself the more i find out.

There are 40+ caravans up there.

40+ people who might be about to loose money and get a nasty shock 😔

8 hours ago, Emmy89 said:

The quote on the storage site advertisement is

'Meets cassoa silver standard'.

But its not listed on Cassoa.

Will email them about it.  

This owner is a complete law unto himself the more i find out.

There are 40+ caravans up there.

40+ people who might be about to loose money and get a nasty shock 😔

I think I am correct is stating that using the words "Meets Cassoa Standards" as an incentive to store your caravan there could be misleading and under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 you may be entitled to all your money back.  

Cassoa need to be notified as soon as possible.   I am sure that Cassoa is probably a Trade name or mark and they will not be happy if the name is used without their permission.   In addition, there is a possibility that Misrepresentation Act 1967 may also be used.

Lastly if paid by CC then use S75 to get back your money.

• Thanks 1