Hi All,

I am looking for and would be very grateful for any advice you can give regarding the purchase of a Van.

I understand that once I sign my money is basically gone and that doesn’t worry me as this purchase is for me to spend quality time with my children following a very long and stressful divorce and custody battle.

I have found a site that I like and am taking my children at the weekend to see what they think, they are only 6 and 3 but ultimately it’s about their happiness.  

I have seen a 2015 Abi Summer Breeze 36x12 3 bed for 30k and I don’t have a clue if this is reasonable or not but that isn’t my main concern. Even though it’s fairly new are there any checks that I should be doing to make sure it’s in good shape.

How do I check this is clear of finance? I am buying from the park but I would still want to do a check to make sure.

Thank You for any advice you can give to help alleviate my fears. Ultimately I don’t want to waste £30k that could have been spent on the children in other ways.

Ross

Hi Ross, if you have found a site that suits all your needs then you have done most of the hard work.

Buying a static is just buying a lifestyle, it is expensive to keep it running too so make sure you have a 5 year plan.

There is no right answer to the cost of the van as each site will charge what they can get away with.

Your kids will love it at weekend as it's something new, will they still love it next month? Next year?

If it feels right, go with it if budget allows, make memories and enjoy the youth of your kids.

• Like 1

Only things I read of with statics is when you want to stop it is problematic in getting rid.

Also after a number of years you are forced to remove it or buy another from site owner.

All end results seem you will lose a lot of money.

I would suggest you read carefully the agreements you make and understand them.  

27 minutes ago, David Park said:

Only things I read of with statics is when you want to stop it is problematic in getting rid.

Also after a number of years you are forced to remove it or buy another from site owner.

All end results seem you will lose a lot of money.

I would suggest you read carefully the agreements you make and understand them.  

+1. .....very good advice DP

As said make sure you know all costs and speak to other owners of any hidden costs and make sure you are happy as once you buy they usually contracted into selling conditions if you come to sell .

Example is I have a friend that paid £80k and 18 months later due to job loss they  wanted to sell and the site offered £15k .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

3 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

As said make sure you know all costs and speak to other owners of any hidden costs and make sure you are happy as once you buy they usually contracted into selling conditions if you come to sell .

Example is I have a friend that paid £80k and 18 months later due to job loss they  wanted to sell and the site offered £15k .

Dave

Same here Dave, I know of quite a few similar horror stories where the site salesman is your best friend when the commission £'s are floating by his eyes, they'll tell all sorts of tales to get a purchase, "Best investment you've ever made, hold their value", and so on.

Come the time when either you want to trade up or leave, the residual value has suddenly dropped like a stone, but they will take it off your hands of course,  for a pittance, then resale at around 100% profit, and of course you can't arrange your own purchase, oh dear no, this has to be done through the site at top price, little brown envelopes come to mind.

Best to make sure you really do your research in detail, things like, how old are the caravans before you are required    forced to replace them, are you required to put decking around the van and can you arrange your own, any restrictions on using your own service / repair people, any small print.

I don't want to scare you off, just to make sure you don't get ripped off, on the other hand there are also many excellent fair minded  site owners out there.

As Dave and others have said, have a chat with folk already on the site if you can and if you know friends or family who have one ask their advice.

With a tourer you can up sticks at the drop of a hat if things don't suit, not so with a static.

I've known cases where there has been a disagreement between site owner and van owner, they have been informed they have 7  days to remove the van, not the easiest thing to organise, then when being unable to remove in the 7 days have been told  " The caravan will be outside the gates tomorrow" .

Don't go in with your rose tinted specs on, do your research well and you will have a fantastic holiday base for you and the children for many years to come.