Jump to content

Movers, Spare Wheels and Jacking Points


Recommended Posts

Evening all I have just been told that when the movers are fitted to our Coachman 675 the spare wheel carrier and the jacking points have to be removed, so where do you keep the spare if its not underslung and more to the point if I need to get a wheel off what do and where do i jack it and with what, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks In Advance

 

Mark.

2019 Adria Alpina Colorado With E&P Pulled by 2019 VW Amarok Highline

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there 

We had exactly the same issue.

We also have a twin axle. The jacking points-which are behind the trailing axle are still there-they are merely holes pressed into the chassis to accept a bracket.

The dealership concerned sent me a trolley jack and the unused ALKO wheel carrier in the post free of charge.

If we have a puncture we either use the jack or drive the offending side up onto a levelling jack so the flat is now clear of the ground.

Hope this helps.

Edited by charlieboy2608
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also  resorted to a trolley jack, for our TA Elegance. Spare now resides under the bed; from where I'm sure it will be easier to retrieve on the inevitably cold, wet and windy night that it will be required.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Flying Grandad said:

Also  resorted to a trolley jack, for our TA Elegance. Spare now resides under the bed; from where I'm sure it will be easier to retrieve on the inevitably cold, wet and windy night that it will be required.

Agreed FG :goodpost:

And we've saved a bit of weight by binning the ALKO carrier creating more payload. ...;)

Don't tell Borussia 1900 we're catching up with his colossal payload though . ..... :D

Edited by charlieboy2608
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Agreed FG :goodpost:

And we've saved a bit of weight by binning the ALKO carrier creating more payload. ...;)

Don't tell Borussia 1900 we're catching up with his colossal payload though . ..... :D

No problem if you’ve got a TA caravan, I heard recently that User Payload wasn’t a problem  :ph34r:

My spare wheel goes on a bracket in the front locker 

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

No problem if you’ve got a TA caravan, I heard recently that User Payload wasn’t a problem  :ph34r:

My spare wheel goes on a bracket in the front locker 

Borussia 1900 you caught me ;)

If your OH is anything like mine any extra payload is more than welcome :)

Luckily we shall be going to the south of France next year so she said she would only need thongs-I didn't argue obviously :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Borussia 1900 you caught me ;)

If your OH is anything like mine any extra payload is more than welcome :)

Luckily we shall be going to the south of France next year so she said she would only need thongs-I didn't argue obviously :D

lol,

 

I need 9 Kg for my bike, a small overhead locker for spare clothes and a few tins of ale, 30 Kg max for me. She somehow fills the rest.

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

lol,

 

I need 9 Kg for my bike, a small overhead locker for spare clothes and a few tins of ale, 30 Kg max for me. She somehow fills the rest.

You get a whole locker to yourself?...wow I'm impressed :goodpost:

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

No problem if you’ve got a TA caravan, I heard recently that User Payload wasn’t a problem  :ph34r:

My spare wheel goes on a bracket in the front locker 

😂😂😂😂

So the carrier is removed I put the spare in the boot thus doubling  the payload😂then put a trolley jack in taking me back to square one . ...

 

Go on Borussia 1900 you can get some mileage out of this !

 

 

So going on the trolley jack theory what point on the chassis is safe to jack on?

Edited by Mark&Penny14
Line spacing

2019 Adria Alpina Colorado With E&P Pulled by 2019 VW Amarok Highline

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mark&Penny14 said:

😂😂😂😂

So the carrier is removed I put the spare in the boot thus doubling  the payload😂then put a trolley jack in taking me back to square one . ...

 

Go on Borussia 1900 you can get some mileage out of this !

 

 

So going on the trolley jack theory what point on the chassis is safe to jack on?

Go on then if you insist. .......... if you’ve got a TA and you get a puncture, not only will it be inherently more stable than a SA Euro Delta you won’t need a spare wheel because apparently you can tow em about, no dramas with just one tyre inflated :D

 

Thank you very much I’m here all week :rolleyes:

 

 

I’ve got a set of Kojack brackets bolted to the chassis rail in front of the Mover, plenty of room, not sure if that’s the same on a TA though.  

When I had a tyre fail the other week I just called ADAC (AA) and they sent a Dutch bloke out in a van and he used an airbag jack.

Edited by Borussia 1900

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Mark&Penny14 said:

😂😂😂😂

So the carrier is removed I put the spare in the boot thus doubling  the payload😂then put a trolley jack in taking me back to square one . ...

 

Go on Borussia 1900 you can get some mileage out of this !

 

 

So going on the trolley jack theory what point on the chassis is safe to jack on?

I'm sure somebody on here said they jacked under the axle and just to make it confusing I'm sure others said to jack under the double skinned part of the chassis. ..

Though if your Borussia 1900 he calls the mobile crane service to lift one side of his large payload super duper delta chassis

Apologises B1900-couldn't resist ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

I'm sure somebody on here said they jacked under the axle and just to make it confusing I'm sure others said to jack under the double skinned part of the chassis. ..

Though if your Borussia 1900 he calls the mobile crane service to lift one side of his large payload super duper delta chassis

Apologises B1900-couldn't resist ;)

I actually test mobile cranes and lifting gear as my job :rolleyes:

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

I'm sure somebody on here said they jacked under the axle and just to make it confusing I'm sure others said to jack under the double skinned part of the chassis. ..

Though if your Borussia 1900 he calls the mobile crane service to lift one side of his large payload super duper delta chassis

Apologises B1900-couldn't resist ;)

😂😂😂

2019 Adria Alpina Colorado With E&P Pulled by 2019 VW Amarok Highline

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I actually test mobile cranes and lifting gear as my job :rolleyes:

Maybe you can tow one behind your caravan in case you have to lift it :)

No end to your personal achievements Borussia 1900.

Do you test for insurance purposes or during the manufacture?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Annual Though Examination of Appliances (Mobile Cranes and suchlike) and 6 Monthly of Accessories, it would be stuff covered by LOLER 98 in the UK, same regulations here too (different name) as they come from the same EU Directive, I can’t see there being any change to that however Brexit pans out.

 

6 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

 

Do you test for insurance purposes or during the manufacture?

No, not during manufacture

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive had some dealing with overhead cranes eg: Monobox and Carruthers. ..though that was some time ago.

Worked within the power generation industry and car manufacturing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Ive had some dealing with overhead cranes eg: Monobox and Carruthers. ..though that was some time ago.

Worked within the power generation industry and car manufacturing.

I have done courses for overhead gantry cranes including in the UK with LEEA, Demag and Kone etc don’t tend to have much to do with them though. A lot of stuff I look at is Terex Atlas, Rotzler etc.

 

Anyway, back to topic, don’t want telling off by the thread police. .... is the bit of chassis between the 2 wheels on a TA not reinforced, is it not possible to get a trolley jack under there?

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes my earlier thread mentioned that-the chassis is double skinned where both axles go through.

I,personally have jacked using this part of the chassis with no deflection visible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the exact same issue when we had a mover fitted to our 620 laser, but no one told us this, to say I was non too impressed to find the wheel and bracket in the caravan on the floor, is an understatement. It turned out that there is a bracket, that bolts to the original holes, and moves the carrier back, needless to say, said bracket was installed free of charge. As for jacking, we use a trolley jack at home, under mover cross beam, directly under chassis, our mover cross beam is strengthened at that point, on the road if we had a puncture, intend to use lock and level.

 

Mark

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only authorised jacking points on a caravan are:

1. Using the Al-Ko jack brackets and jack.

2. Using a trolley jack directly under the axle just behind the brake backplate.

3. The reinforced web where the axle bolts to the chassis.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

No problem if you’ve got a TA caravan, I heard recently that User Payload wasn’t a problem  :ph34r:

My spare wheel goes on a bracket in the front locker 

 

My spare is also on a bracket in the front locker (together with the waste master, aqua roll, ramps, EHU lead and a couple of buckets full of odds and ends) and the nose weight never moves by more than 5kg around the 115kg mark.  Strange how well balanced these SA caravans are . .......

 

On my last TA had jacking points for Al-Ko scissor jack fitted rear of the axle.  Used it till day the thing gave way and nearly took my fingers with it.  Then got a mini trolly jack.

 

Michael

Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot to say on the TA just had the mover fitted on the front axle to avoid the spare wheel underslung carrier issue and to not steal all of the payload with a four wheel mover.  It moved the van OK but not that hot at turning the van.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MHE said:

Forgot to say on the TA just had the mover fitted on the front axle to avoid the spare wheel underslung carrier issue and to not steal all of the payload with a four wheel mover.  It moved the van OK but not that hot at turning the van.

 

You can assist the mover by leaning against the corner to help push it round in the direction you are moving it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...