Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Johnaldo

Act soon to beat CaMC price increases

Recommended Posts

Heads up if you’re thinking of booking a stay at a Caravan and Motorhome Club site next year.

 

The prices are increasing (slightly, they say) on December 5th – but if you before then, prices are held at 2018 levels.

 

Full details here.

 

John

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had the email too, I think their prices are too expensive as it is, lots of commercial sites out there a lot cheaper than the the CC club sites

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We spend 1 night each year on a club site on our way home from  a Portsmouth ferry. Its convenient and that and the hot clean showers are the only good thing I can say about it, it was again the most expensive site we used  (in nearly 3 months) and as we were stuck in the middle on grass, the least satisfactory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote from the CMC email :-

"The largest contributing rises in costs are energy and utility costs, for example electricity costs have risen by over 25%".

 

It's no wonder with the crazy CMC policy of "use all you want un-limited 16 amp Electric supply". 

Long overdue that the C&M Club start to re-consider the Policy on Pitch power useage - start by swopping over to 10 amp breakers - more than ample for most and would reduce costs and excess wastage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We usually stay on club sites for the festive season, have done for the past 9 years anyway, but we have decided £30 per night is not worth it as it drops to about £16 a week into the new year,  on the site we usually go to, the pitches are needing re-stoning and huge puddles are across the roads every year and even though we have reported it and had emails back from the regional manger nothing has been done. So we have now decided to continue our festive season away on CL's at half the price with fully serviced pitches. The club needs a huge wake up to getting the pitches sorted instead of wasting money on the frills of the sites in their care. .

6 minutes ago, montesa said:

Quote from the CMC email :-

"The largest contributing rises in costs are energy and utility costs, for example electricity costs have risen by over 25%".

 

It's no wonder with the crazy CMC policy of "use all you want un-limited 16 amp Electric supply". 

Long overdue that the C&M Club start to re-consider the Policy on Pitch power useage - start by swopping over to 10 amp breakers - more than ample for most and would reduce costs and excess wastage.

 

I agree in principle, but they would not reduce the pitch prices.

 

 I have seen this in my CL usage, some sites have done  just that, but not reduced their "standard prices" prior to the addition.   I personally stay away from these sites in principle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think i may be ditching the camc sites next year too. Prberly spent 50+ nights on them this year alone.

Lately we had horrendous problems with some site like Baltic wharf in particular.£34 per night and night shift road works right out side the entrance. i wrote and complain and it fell on deaf ears,(must have stayed at baltic wharf for the night).stating it was not there fault. ok, but why didnt they let us know before hand. left early from site,along with others and refund was refused.

As for the waste usage i agree/most vans nowadays have very good graded insulation.

piped 24hours radio 2. why?

cadeside camc site late week was full. 16 pitches no toilet block and yet have 4 wardens(2x couples)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, smino0_1 said:

Probably spent 50+ nights on them this year alone.

 

Wow. ...much admiration, in 36 years have not spent 50 nights in total,including rallies.

 

geoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If electricity costs have risen by 25%, that says to me more people booking!

 

Has anyone every pointed a finger and said "liars". 

 

I feel you members are continuously given half truths, especially when it comes to the CC having their annual price rise.

 

Why don't they say prices are going up, because they believe the market can stand it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Club Sites are reasonable value for money, I’ve got a couple of sites booked for next year around Easter Time and they’re less than £30 a night for 3 of us and a dog that’s less than €40, I’ve paid €80 a night in Spain and up to €70 in France and the facilities were no better than a CAMC  site. I also think you get good discounts on the Channel Tunnel/Ferries if you’re a member, that’s the main reason we joined, one trip back to the UK and the membership has paid for itself.

Haven sites in the UK are £500 a week in high season and they aren’t even fully serviced for that price.

 

We’ve used:

Black Horse Farm

Bearstead

Cromer

Brighton

Littlehampton

Illminster

 

we’ve been happy with all of those and next year we’re going to one near Swanage. We’ve also stayed at some of their affiliated sites in France and a couple of those weren’t great.

 

I think Club Sites are like Marmite, you either love them or hate them, we think they’re great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shipbroker said:

 

Wow. ...much admiration, in 36 years have not spent 50 nights in total,including rallies.

 

geoff

Yes i know. but i have just done a kwicky add up and look at this.(to my amazment)

50nights x (average) £30 per night =£1500 /7weeks(50 night equates to 7 weeks) -£215 per week. Dont sound that bad then? the main reason for using the sites is the hard standing. as we either use the caravan at 2t with rams or the moho at 5t,so grass is not the best choice(in the uk).althought we did have a good run of summer this year.

But where does it come to a stop,every year there is a price hike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion the biggest mistake the CC made was, about twenty years ago, to provide 16 amp EHUs and bundle the cost of electricity into the pitch fee.

At the time EHUs were introduced I had a Holivan 400 which had one gas light supplemented with a 12v Labcraft strip light. I was paying the same pitch fees as electrically heated and illuminated Gin palaces.

As was mentioned earlier reducing the supply to 10 amp from all EHUs would significantly reduce electricity bills which should lead to a reduction in pitch fees.

Anyone who needs a 16 amp supply could pay a £5 per night supplement.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DeeTee said:

In my opinion the biggest mistake the CC made was, about twenty years ago, to provide 16 amp EHUs and bundle the cost of electricity into the pitch fee.

At the time EHUs were introduced I had a Holivan 400 which had one gas light supplemented with a 12v Labcraft strip light. I was paying the same pitch fees as electrically heated and illuminated Gin palaces.

As was mentioned earlier reducing the supply to 10 amp from all EHUs would significantly reduce electricity bills which should lead to a reduction in pitch fees.

Anyone who needs a 16 amp supply could pay a £5 per night supplement.

 

I doubt anyone actually needs a 16 amp supply, when we're in Spain we have the air-con on full blast, the caravan fridge, a large hired fridge freezer outside, phones, kettles lights etc and the 10 amp supply has never tripped out.

In Holland and Spain most sites (that we have stayed on) include EHU but at many in France and Germany its an optional extra.

 

I would imagine that with more Electric Cars coming onto the market that many sites will have to introduce a surcharge for those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our site fee limit allows us to spend 3 hours a night on a CMC site.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DeeTee said:

In my opinion the biggest mistake the CC made was, about twenty years ago, to provide 16 amp EHUs and bundle the cost of electricity into the pitch fee.

At the time EHUs were introduced I had a Holivan 400 which had one gas light supplemented with a 12v Labcraft strip light. I was paying the same pitch fees as electrically heated and illuminated Gin palaces.

As was mentioned earlier reducing the supply to 10 amp from all EHUs would significantly reduce electricity bills which should lead to a reduction in pitch fees.

Anyone who needs a 16 amp supply could pay a £5 per night supplement.

 

I thought they are not allowed to make a profit reselling the electric, hence why it is included in the pitch price, then I presume they can charge what they like for a pitch without contravening any laws.

I remember reading this on here years ago but I may be mistaken due to brain fade so apologize in advance.

My first van, an Elddis Tornado early 1970's has two gas mantles and one strip light, Excellent light but needed the window open, It also had an open gas fire, like a mini super ser. Great van

Edited by ian16527

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to ban awning heaters

We’ve seen people on sites who put a heater in the awning when they arrive and never turn it off until they leave.

Probably the “I’ve paid for it, I’ll use it “mentality.

Edited by hp100425ev
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

Time to ban awning heaters

We’ve seen people on sites who put a heater in the awning when they arrive and never turn it off until they leave.

Probably the “I’ve paid for it, I’ll use it “mentality.

 

This has oft been debated here before. ..our local CL owners ban anyone found doing this.

 

geoff

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ian16527 said:

I thought they are not allowed to make a profit reselling the electric, hence why it is included in the pitch price, then I presume they can charge what they like for a pitch without contravening any laws.

I remember reading this on here years ago but I may be mistaken due to brain fade so apologize in advance.

 

You're right Ian, that was the way they got around the 're-selling' rules. And now they're saying that all costs have risen so they need to increase the prices. Plus it sounds as if someone made a bit of a hash of their predictions earlier in the year!

 

The C&CC do it slightly differently by having different types of pitch fees which don't mention electric supply - simply 'Club Grass Service Pitch' or 'Club Hardstanding Service Pitch' or 'Club Super Service Pitch'.

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year, the year before and this year I think we only use the CC site for one night in each year and that was because of the ferry.   This year we are hoping to spend Christmas at Moreton in Marsh and pay their silly fees.   We do not have any sites in the UK booked for next year however when we book it will probably be a commercial site as they are cheaper with better facilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Simple Life said:

If electricity costs have risen by 25%, that says to me more people booking!

 

Has anyone every pointed a finger and said "liars". 

 

I feel you members are continuously given half truths, especially when it comes to the CC having their annual price rise.

 

Why don't they say prices are going up, because they believe the market can stand it?

 

More likely that the average consumption has risen - with more equipment each year in new caravans, the consumption will only go up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

Time to ban awning heaters

We’ve seen people on sites who put a heater in the awning when they arrive and never turn it off until they leave.

Probably the “I’ve paid for it, I’ll use it “mentality.

 

Electric is free as its included in the pitch fee is another one, the other side of the coin is that those who don't use much are supporting their holiday.

We don't bother with the CC sites much nowadays as most commercial sites are of an equal or better standing and a lot of CLs are the same.

I'm all in favour of metering or 6/10 amp pitches, as already said those who want 16a should pay a premium of £5 for the privilege. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I remember correctly the rules about the resale of electricity were rather lax when EHUs were first introduced by the then CC.

There were non Club sites where electricity was metered or where pre-paid leccy cards were used. I have recently become aware of a commercial site where the pitch supply is 10 amp which can be increased to 16 amp for an additional charge.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do all my caravanning on the continent and  rarely if ever have more than 10amp supply, one of my favourite sites has only 4 amp as they produce their own and whilst this is tricky to deal with  6 or 10amp should be enough except for those who want to go caravanning in the winter and dont want to burn gas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeeTee said:

If I remember correctly the rules about the resale of electricity were rather lax when EHUs were first introduced by the then CC.

There were non Club sites where electricity was metered or where pre-paid leccy cards were used. I have recently become aware of a commercial site where the pitch supply is 10 amp which can be increased to 16 amp for an additional charge.

 

 

We go to a CL which has 10amp and can be increased to 16a if you wish (at an extra charge) and a 16a metered site on a commercial site at York,  the site at York cost us less than 30 bob for the weekend.  Nice site but in the wrong place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 16amp supply I would suggest covers peak use, as in morning's and dinner time.

 

I disagree about equipment being the issue, a 25% increase would suggest an awful lot, and it being switched on often too.

 

Years ago when we were members the CC banged on about electric then, seems to me you members have been pre programmed to accept this as a reason.

 

The price goes up every year, the year we left it was a hugely disproportionate amount for the product we received, we left, and now sometimes we pay more but get more, and very often we pay less and get the same as CC.

 

The CC hasn't yet had a reason to lower or keep prices the same, so they won't, why would they?

 

This isn't CC knocking,  I'm not shocked by a rise in prices, it's their product and pitching at a price they think can be achieved,  but I am shocked by the suggestion  it's due to, yet again, electric costs! Too convenient 

 

Could it be the unpopular re branding cost that may be closer to the truth if not the above?

Edited by Simple Life
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

And there is the annual increase in member ship free to bring into the equation.  

Sandy

 

 

 

Edited by sandy
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...