Sign in to follow this  
B1ngo

Alde Fluid check

Is it normal practice that a dealer should check Alde fluid for strength of anti-freeze in a pre-delivery inspection on a used caravan sale?

No,frankly,but it should do.

geoff

It's not really much different to checking the anti-freeze concentration in a car - unscrew the cap, insert the hydrometer, suck in some fluid, read the scale on the side, return fluid to container and refit cap.

We would certainly advise anyone buying/selling an Alde-equipped caravan to inspect the heating fluid.

Here's a video:

https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=znf7EOJnvLY

Edited by Alde UK

What can't so readily be checked is the status of the vital corrosion inhibitors.

These degrade with the passage of time and are sold as two and five year life products.

Unless, the dealer can irrefutably show he knows exactly what is in there and what remaining life he is selling you, I would make sure it is changed, either by them or by your service provider. Otherwise, you are "buying a pig in a poke.", no idea of what it is.

To make for a practical life and avoid cross contamination issues I would insist either a G12++ or better still a G13 product is used with deionised water, these are pretty safe  to use 5 year life products. These products are readily available through motor factors etc, for example Comma's G40 & for G13 their GG40 brands.

When I changed the Alde fluid earlier this year I stuck a label on the header cover indicating  the date I changed the fluid and the the product Comma G13.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Ranger1700 said:

When I changed the Alde fluid earlier this year I stuck a label on the header cover indicating  the date I changed the fluid

Sensible idea,mine was changed,probably for the first time,last month and a label will now be made.

geoff

19 hours ago, B1ngo said:

Is it normal practice that a dealer should check Alde fluid for strength of anti-freeze in a pre-delivery inspection on a used caravan sale?

Suggest it would be very un-likely but good practice.

There is also a long list of good practice items to also check on a purchase.

They will ensure  at length that your payment has fully cleared though.  

I'm just wondering, after changing my fluid was it last year, from the 2 to 5 year stuff,

What would happen if I drained off the less that a quarter of the system via the ONE drain plug, (sense my anger at the rubbish system for draining) then topped up with concentrate?

Anyone.

I suppose diluting or aging may be an issue, but that's a pure guess