Euro Twin Axle or Delta Single Axle

As the tittle suggests I’m looking for people’s thoughts on whether or not the blurb that you read about delta axles is reliable, can a single delta axle really be as as stable as a standard twin axle, I’m really looking for an answer from somebody who has towed both.  

Cheers 

Mark

2019 Adria Alpina Colorado With E&P Pulled by 2019 VW Amarok Highline

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The real problem though with this discussion is that we needed someone to have towed, with the same car, two identical caravans, one with Delta and the other normal single; in the same wind conditions

IMHO four tyres making contact with the ground are always going to be better than two. And just for the record I have towed with both a single axle and a twin but only made by ALKO.

I’m fitting tractor tyres 

Posted Images

I have a 2 tonne single Euro Delta Axle caravan, it’s almost 8m long, 2. 5m wide, has ATC stability and AlKo 3004 hitch. It’s towed by a large 4x4 and at 60 mph I have no stability issues whatsoever. I’ve never had a twin axle caravan so I couldn’t comment on those.

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

Got no idea about the relative stability of a single axle vs a twin.  But we tow a 1900kg single axle delta axle 8m x 2. 4m I have no concerns about the stability.   Don’t worry you will be fine!

My reason for not wanting a single axle on such a big heavy van is the strain on the tyres

I would much rather have 4 wheels and tyres to spread the load, stability is unlikely to be an issue unless you pick up a puncture or have a blow out then you will see the difference in what happens.

Not towed with those specific axles, but having had a couple of single axles & one twin axle, I would not buy a single again. The twin towed that much better. Just my humble opinion of course.  

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

3 hours ago, Woodie106 said:

Not towed with those specific axles, but having had a couple of single axles & one twin axle, I would not buy a single again. The twin towed that much better. Just my humble opinion of course.  

+1

8 hours ago, Dannyp said:

My reason for not wanting a single axle on such a big heavy van is the strain on the tyres

I would much rather have 4 wheels and tyres to spread the load, stability is unlikely to be an issue unless you pick up a puncture or have a blow out then you will see the difference in what happens.

I have to disagree, after recently having had a motorway blowout at 60 mph my Single Delta Axle caravan remained perfectly stable, it was only the blue smoke coming from the tyre that let me know I had a problem, anyone can get a puncture, I was just unlucky (first time in 30 years).

The tyres aren't 'strained', they have a much higher load index to to the tyres fitted on a Twin Axle and are designed to carry the load.

4 hours ago, Woodie106 said:

If you look into the design of the Euro Delta and how it works you'll see that it is far superior to the Single Axles supplied to the UK caravan market (the rest of the EU uses Euro Delta) and negates the requirement to fit 2 axles.

TA fans on this forum are comparing them against their experience with Single Compact axles and that is why they think a TA set up is better. I have previously owned a non-Delta caravan and when I upgraded to one with the Delta fitted the difference in towing stability was obvious as soon as I started towing it.

Edited by Borussia 1900

IMHO four tyres making contact with the ground are always going to be better than two.

And just for the record I have towed with both a single axle and a twin but only made by ALKO.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

IMHO four tyres making contact with the ground are always going to be better than two.

And just for the record I have towed with both a single axle and a twin but only made by ALKO.

Yes but unless you've towed a modern heavy Continental caravan you won't have towed a Single Euro Delta as AL-KO don't sell it in the UK (ALKO make 3 types of Single Axle), there is a huge difference (its better), I don't understand why UK manufacturers don't insist on it. You can also get a TA Delta for loads over 2 tonne.

http://www. alko-tech. com/en/euro-delta-semi-trailing-arm-axle

image.png.3ac1087774f07202174f66f821f31a80.png

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

If you look into the design of the Euro Delta and how it works you'll see that it is far superior to the Single Axles supplied to the UK caravan market (the rest of the EU uses Euro Delta) and negates the requirement to fit 2 axles.

TA fans on this forum are comparing them against their experience with Single Compact axles and that is why they think a TA set up is better. I have previously owned a non-Delta caravan and when I upgraded to one with the Delta fitted the difference in towing stability was obvious as soon as I started towing it.

No one is saying a single axle is unstable BUT a twin axle is more stable. With single axle and a blowout situation 50% of you grip, load bearing etc is lost with a twin axle only 25%. You were lucky with your blowout, combination of a heavy car and a good axle all made that experience.   Change to a lighter car and it may have been very different. Twin axle has a bigger footprint of rubber on the road, better grip, better braking capability.

I suspect youve listened for too long to the Delta sales speak and are now brainwashed! At the end of the day with the simple setups we have the axle holds the wheel at the edge of the caravan and allows it to move up and down, thats it, nothing more. The amount of toe in change with the suspension movement is minimal, I seriously doubt you can tell the difference from the driving seat.

Edited by Guest
17 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

No one is saying a single axle is unstable BUT a twin axle is more stable. With single axle and a blowout situation 50% of you grip, load bearing etc is lost with a twin axle only 25%. You were lucky with your blowout, combination of a heavy car and a good axle all made that experience.   Change to a lighter car and it may have been very different. Twin axle has a bigger footprint of rubber on the road, better grip, better braking capability.

I suspect youve listened for too long to the Delta sales speak and are now brainwashed! At the end of the day with the simple setups we have the axle holds the wheel at the edge of the caravan and allows it to move up and down, thats it, nothing more. The amount of toe in change with the suspension movement is minimal, I seriously doubt you can tell the difference from the driving seat.

I have never listened to Delta Sales Speak, to be honest I didn't even know I had one until I looked underneath when I took delivery.

If they aren't as good as a TA set up why do all German manufacturers (less Hobby, I think they use a different brand of chassis)) put up to 2 tonnes of caravan on them? They only use TA set ups over 2 tonnes whereas UK manufactures put relatively lightweight narrow caravans on a TA, nobody else does that, why is that (serious question?)

20 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I have never listened to Delta Sales Speak, to be honest I didn't even know I had one until I looked underneath when I took delivery.

If they aren't as good as a TA set up why do all German manufacturers (less Hobby, I think they use a different brand of chassis)) put up to 2 tonnes of caravan on them? They only use TA set ups over 2 tonnes whereas UK manufactures put relatively lightweight narrow caravans on a TA, nobody else does that, why is that (serious question?)

Economy, it's cheaper.

I have towed a twin (2013 Elddis Crusader Storm) and now tow the Adria Alpina Colorado on the Delta Axle.  Whilst liking four wheels for the comfort factor if a problem occurs, such as a blow out, the Adria is more stable when towing and is far far easier to manoeuvre on the mover.  Also, the Delta axle on this model comes with self adjusting brakes.  The tyres are rated for the weight so that is not an issue.  I have taken the Adria up into the French Alps and all over the UK with no issues.

What I was particularly impressed with was the lack of sway when the mad white van man passes you on the motorway doing a ton seemingly just a few inches away at the side.  The Storm used to give a bit of a tug, the Adria does not.

Michael

3 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Economy, it's cheaper.

How can 2 axles (4 tyres etc) be cheaper than 1?

3 minutes ago, MHE said:

I have towed a twin (2013 Elddis Crusader Storm) and now tow the Adria Alpina Colorado on the Delta Axle.  Whilst liking four wheels for the comfort factor if a problem occurs, such as a blow out, the Adria is more stable when towing and is far far easier to manoeuvre on the mover.  Also, the Delta axle on this model comes with self adjusting brakes.  The tyres are rated for the weight so that is not an issue.  I have taken the Adria up into the French Alps and all over the UK with no issues.

What I was particularly impressed with was the lack of sway when the mad white van man passes you on the motorway doing a ton seemingly just a few inches away at the side.  The Storm used to give a bit of a tug, the Adria does not.

Michael

Totally agree

Swift Colonsay 2006 2013 bailey valencia u2-- 2013 Elddis Affinity 550- 2017 Adria adora isonzo 613 platinum

3 minutes ago, MHE said:

Michael

:goodpost:

I totally agree with you but on here people will argue against you (us) because they are comparing a TA against the single axle UK built caravans which aren't anywhere near as good.

24 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Economy, it's cheaper.

20 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Think he was saying that 1 axle is cheaper than 2.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

22 minutes ago, Griff said:

Think he was saying that 1 axle is cheaper than 2.

In that case you'd think with UK manufacturers building to a low price rather than a high standard they'd chose the single axle option.

14 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

In that case you'd think with UK manufacturers building to a low price rather than a high standard they'd chose the single axle option.

U. K. manufacturers building down to a price an absolutely outrageous statement.  You be saying that they don’t always  fit shock adsorbers and do fit Chinese knock off tyres.

Just Remember 4wheels good, two wheels bad as George Orwell didn’t write.  

Edited by fred
1 minute ago, fred said:

U. K. manufacturers building down to a price an absolutely outrageous statement

Have you not been paying attention to this Forum? :rolleyes: lol

15 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

They know how safety conscious us Brits are, 4 wheels safer than 2 in any like for like adverse situation.  

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I think he was saying that the normal ALKO axle sued is cheaper than the Delta version which is why UK manufacturers use the cheaper axle.   IMHO the customer should be given the choice of the type of axle they want on their caravan and pay the difference so we do not have stupid payloads.

Out of interest, do/did BPW use a Delta style axle?  I had a 2007 Elddis a while ago and I have a feeling that had something similar?

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

19 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

IMHO the customer should be given the choice of the type of axle they want on their caravan and pay the difference so we do not have stupid payloads.

Good point, I have a 460 Kg User Payload, that's not to be sniffed at.