Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mark&Penny14

Review Eye Kettleby

Recommended Posts

We are local to Eye Kettleby and have stayed there many times without a doubt this is one of the best adult only sites that we have ever found lovely shower blocks the new are that opened this year is lovely and spacious with flat pitches hard standing and nearly all are fully serviced, the toilets and showers are all self contained en-suite  with travertine floors, the pot washing area is equipped with Belfast sinks and granite work surfaces.  The club house keeps decent traditional ales and serves a cracking Sunday lunch. The attached pics were taken in July during the heatwave.  

 

CC8A2DCE-40F3-4A2E-8BF2-B46AB459BA1D.thumb.jpeg.2634e346bddca70e6111fc1db036be17.jpegEC14B42D-AF28-4EA4-9990-1BCC1636263E.thumb.jpeg.faa5a805415828abc0a9a5f901883e59.jpeg22854937-9BC3-4AA2-B231-029E5B18ADD9.thumb.jpeg.57463a67f06655c0f29502748b8186aa.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your review, we are looking at booking our first visit there, next year! Sounds like we won't be disappointed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We stopped at Eye Kettleby on our way North earlier in the year. Loved it as said above the toilet & showers are better than some expensive hotels Ive stayed in, the clubhouse is good and also do a proper freshly cooked breakfast.

If you like a bit of fishing then Im told its one of the best stocked, although we were more interested in the well stocked bar!!

Both OH and I said that we would have preferred to have stayed here longer rather than the mediocre site we moved onto.

Will definitely be going back at some point next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a lot to like about it and it is central to a lot of attractions, you won’t be disappointed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We book in for 4 weeks each year mainly for the fishing but also for cycling around Rutland Water.

 

The fishing is excellent with 7 pools to choose from, was 8 but one was drained for repairs in 2018.

 

The cycle route is 17 miles or 23 miles depending on whether you include the peninsula or not and offers all sorts of terrains from tarmac to woodland tracks with the obligatory stop off at the Horse & Jockey at Manton for lunch and a pint.

 

We usually book one of the five larger pitches on the Nothern Close being closer pools and main facilities.

 

As said the two touring areas are both adults only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Griff said:

We book in for 4 weeks each year mainly for the fishing but also for cycling around Rutland Water.

 

The fishing is excellent with 7 pools to choose from, was 8 but one was drained for repairs in 2018.

 

The cycle route is 17 miles or 23 miles depending on whether you include the peninsula or not and offers all sorts of terrains from tarmac to woodland tracks with the obligatory stop off at the Horse & Jockey at Manton for lunch and a pint.

 

We usually book one of the five larger pitches on the Nothern Close being closer pools and main facilities.

 

As said the two touring areas are both adults only.

we have pitch 24 booked for every BH next year, favourite pitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, 6206greg said:

we have pitch 24 booked for every BH next year, favourite pitch.

Over the period we have usually booked pitch 22, about the largest up that corner but this and next year pitch 26, a bit more private.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been 5 times this year and have booked 4 trips next year, pitches 98 & 99 .  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New years eve is always very good in the clubhouse, not overly cheap,but we've found whatever function EKL put on, they do it very very well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must admit, this is on our one-to-visit list:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you look on Google Earth, the newer Southern section isn’t shown.

Can anyone tell me where the Southern section lies in relation to the “older” Northern section please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

When you look on Google Earth, the newer Southern section isn’t shown.

Can anyone tell me where the Southern section lies in relation to the “older” Northern section please?

The brown patch of land directly above the original site in the screen shot, i. e. to the left of the pool top right, the old railway line is between the pool and southern section.

 

South is to the top of the screen shot.

20181205_171706.jpg

 

PS. About where circled on old GE image.

 

20181205_172639.thumb.jpg.301d9185124d44420271da7737e320c5.jpg

Edited by Griff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now booked 4 nights next July, on way home from 4 weeks in Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk.

10% discount for midweek arrive Monday leave Friday booking.

Looks great, but obviously not a place for those who think CMC sites are regimented and/or overpriced!

Edited by hp100425ev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

Looks great, but obviously not a place for those who think CMC sites are regimented and/or overpriced!

The overall setup and location makes up for regimentation.

 

Which area have you booked?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Griff said:

The overall setup and location makes up for regimentation.

 

Which area have you booked?

 

Southern area, pitch 98.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not used the Southern area myself but word has it that the washing and showering facilities put most bathrooms to shame, must take a look when I am next there.

 

Good view of the runway between N & S which the owner uses to take off in his private aircraft.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd been put off booking a trip to Eye Kettleby after reading that the wi-fi at pitches was poor and phone reception similar. But those reports might be out-of-date. We do miss Internet access when we don't have it. We're on the 3 network if anyone has any experience of the coverage there. The 3 network coverage map seems to show marginal signal but no match for a personal report :) Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, KrispyDuck said:

I'd been put off booking a trip to Eye Kettleby after reading that the wi-fi at pitches was poor and phone reception similar. But those reports might be out-of-date. We do miss Internet access when we don't have it. We're on the 3 network if anyone has any experience of the coverage there. The 3 network coverage map seems to show marginal signal but no match for a personal report :) Thanks in advance!

Turn it all off open the wine or beer sit back relax and enjoy being removed from the world. 😂

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mark&Penny14 said:

Turn it all off open the wine or beer sit back relax and enjoy being removed from the world. 😂

 

I like the sentiment but after an hour I'd *need* to look something up :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/12/2018 at 15:31, hp100425ev said:

 

Southern area, pitch 98.

My favourite pitch 🤗🤗

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got back was there for Victorian market at Melton Mowbray we’re on EE strong signal so just hotspot iPad off it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EE no problem, a strong  signal and perfect using our phones as hotspots.

 

Did think of changing to '3' at one stage but also noticed limited coverage around where the site is and as we spend a month at a time there didn't want to risk a no signal situation.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good review, so much so I want to book a pitch for a week at whitsun, been looking at the older side north I think, really into my fishing & being  adult only is a bonus, my questions are, is the fishing any good only want to take a float rod & small feeder rod to catch carp 8/10lb max  , is the pub/ club house ok, are the standard pitch a fair size as all the superior pitchs are booked & if my son & his girlfriend decide to come with us would they be able to put up a pup tent, more questions to follow I'm sure but thanks for now, Pete 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/12/2018 at 21:08, dustypete said:

. ....... my questions are, is the fishing any good only want to take a float rod & small feeder rod to catch carp 8/10lb max  , is the pub/ club house ok, are the standard pitch a fair size as all the superior pitchs are booked & if my son & his girlfriend decide to come with us would they be able to put up a pup tent, more questions to follow I'm sure but thanks for now, Pete 

 

Firstly I have found the fishing to be great.

 

Pool 1 was drained last year for reconstruction, pool 2 is primarily a carp specimen lake although other species are to be caught, I took a perch of just over 4lb two years ago!

 

Parkland, the pool closest to the south area is specimen carp only with  some trout, it was originally stocked only with trout.

 

The rest of the pools 3 - 7 are similarly stocked and rammed with fish.

 

I have had carp just into double figures, all the usual baits work but my best fish have come from musssels fished in the margins and floated bread close to overhanging bushes, floating baits are allowed on all pools other than Parkland where they are not.

 

Tickets have to be purchased from reception on the day or can be purchased in advance and used on which ever day you decided to fish thus allowing a dawn start before reception opens.

 

The club house is superb with a well stocked bar and a couple of cask ales, a fish and chip van comes one night which can be eaten in the restaurant as can be take always on another night with another couple of nights having 'easy listening' live music.

 

Only ever had superior ext pitches which are large, standard pitches are much smaller but seem to be well occupied most of the time, sure you could set up a pup tent though.

 

This park for its massive overall size and facilities is the best we have stayed at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...