tonyradstone

Overnight at St Malo Port

With a morning departure from France next year I am thinking of an overnight at the port, last post I could find on this was in 2010. Any updates please

The BrittanyFerries website has a useful  section of guides to each port saying you can park overnightin the check in lanes atSt Malo  if you wish.  But with most morning departures from St Malo not leaving before 1030 it hardly seems essential - unless you have spent all your money elsewhere.  

Thanks Moorgate for your reply, it is the 0730 check in not the money!

Are there any campsites nearby that are happy with an early departure and even better with a good restaurant.

Ah, but you don't HAVE to check in at 0730.   45 minutes before departure will do, or 90 minutes before departure if you have a dog.  

But if you want a local camp site then just ask Google - there are dozens listed for you to choose from.  

Bon Voyage.  

Quite a few decent ones between St Malo and Cancale to suit all pockets.

Yes Google and Archie are my friends but it is recommendations that I am looking for.

14 minutes ago, moorgate said:

But if you want a local camp site then just ask Google - there are dozens listed for you to choose from.  

We always stay in the lanes at St Malo and make an evening of it in the old town - plenty of restaurants and entertainment and then it's a short walk back to the caravan to sleep it off :D

Lets face it you've got the next whole day to get over it :)

Edited by springtime
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tonyradstone said:

Yes Google and Archie are my friends but it is recommendations that I am looking for.

If you really would like me to choose for you then Camping Le Vallon aux  Merlettes - about 45 minutes to the ferry at St Malo.  

ACSI accepted at La Guimorais

14 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

We’re staying here for three nights at the end of next summers holiday;

https://m. yellohvillage. co. uk/camping/le_p_tit_bois

We spent several days at Le P'tit Bois some years ago. Quite satisfactory, good facilities and pool, close to shops and a very easy 15 min run to the ferry port.

Originally we used to get the ferry to St Malo to arrive nice and early however the return trip was long and boring plus arriving late at Portsmouth so now we travel to St Malo and return via Caen.

• Like 1

On 20/11/2018 at 18:36, springtime said:

We always stay in the lanes at St Malo and make an evening of it in the old town - plenty of restaurants and entertainment and then it's a short walk back to the caravan to sleep it off :D

Lets face it you've got the next whole day to get over it :)

Edited November 20, 2018 by springtime

Been looking at Google Earth at the layout of the port and presume the lanes used for overnight are prior to the check in , see yellow bit on picture.

Please confirm

S Malo.jpg

1 hour ago, tonyradstone said:

Been looking at Google Earth at the layout of the port and presume the lanes used for overnight are prior to the check in , see yellow bit on picture.

Please confirm

S Malo.jpg

Why not stay on a campsite nearby as more than enough time to catch the ferry which leaves at about 10am?  We were on a campsite about 20 minutes away and arrived in plenty of time with our 3 dogs.

2 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Why not stay on a campsite nearby as more than enough time to catch the ferry which leaves at about 10am?  We were on a campsite about 20 minutes away and arrived in plenty of time with our 3 dogs.

Thanks Durbanite

We would rather stay on a site , which one are you on please.

As noted before we are staying on Le Petit Boise this summer which is 3 miles away

Many thanks

39 minutes ago, tonyradstone said:

Thanks Durbanite

We would rather stay on a site , which one are you on please.

We stayed at Camping Long Champ in St Lunaire.  Right on the beach and loads of facilities.  Another one that comes highly recommended is Camping La Hallerais in Taden near Dinan the latter which is a very interesting town.

We stayed at the Domaine du Logis site near Combourg for a few days at the end of a longer break further south http://www.domainedulogis.com/en/home-sp1.php

We were travelling back from St Malo on the morning ferry on a Sunday morning so had an easy, almost traffic free, 50 min cruise up the dual carriageway in the morning.  Good site (although popular with Brits) with easy access to Dinan, Dinard and the delightful town of Combourg.

Le P'tit Bois for us too for one night, pretty expensive but a doddle to get to the ferry.

Dave.

Thanks to all I will go with Le P'tit Bois.

Posted (edited)
On 10/06/2019 at 18:45, tonyradstone said:

Thanks to all I will go with Le P'tit Bois.

Stayed here Sunday and were very happy, short run to port and now back in U.K.

Thanks all that suggested site.

Edited by tonyradstone

1 hour ago, tonyradstone said:

Stayed here Sunday and were very happy, short run to port and now back in U.K.

Thanks all that suggested site.

We stayed Wednesday to Saturday on pitch 117, thoroughly impressed with the site and an easy ten minute drive to the Ferry.

Also thoroughly impressed with St Malo, a beautiful town worth spending time in and also Mont Saint Michel - deffo be back in Brittany at some point.

Le Petit Bois looked good from these comments but I see it closes on 15th September- doesn’t help us as we are travelling back a couple of weeks later - any other suggestions please for one that opens until early October?