Best Dash Cam for my Citroen C4 Picasso

Mobilemule42

I have just acquired a C4 Picasso and I want to fit a hard wired Dash Cam.   also would welcome advice as where to position it on the massive windscreen for effective videoing but minimum wire showing.

I have a BlackVue in my Discovery 4 which is as about as compact as you can get.

Dash cam cables are usually small enough in diameter to be tucked just under the edge of the head lining and edge of the door post trim.

This is what I did with mine and then connected straight on to the fuse panel using a piggy back fuse holder.

I also removed my mirror trim and routed the wire behind it.

Using a Dremmel, I then cut a small semi circle in its edge for the cable to exit and with the camera mounted close to it have only about 1" of wire showing anywhere.

Although visible from the front passenger seat, the camera cannot be seen at all from the driving position so with my setup no need for removal for an MOT when my car becomes of age.

I have also fitted a BlackVue to my wife's MINI in exactly the same way which was MOT'd last week with the cam in situ, no problem.

It took me just over an hour to complete each installation as a rough guide

20181118_174748.thumb.png.f08b6d56377e028a0c9d0c7089a6a516.png

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

The best camera will be a personal opinion.  I have a Mio 766 dash cam fitted behind the mirror, its small and works well with wifi connection, also has safety cam updates.  I hard wired mine with a 5v hardwire kit and they tucked easily behind the headlining to the door pillar and down behind the door pillar rubber to the fuse box. YouTube shows some fittings.

My neighbour bought a rear camera which is wired to the front camera and halfords fitted it and they made a very good job of doing it, he was going to do it himself until he saw what it entailed :lol:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I've recently had this Nextbase fitted by Halfords. Ideal for me....

https://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-dash-cam-412gw

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

• 1 year later...

I had bought a Next base 322 dashcam from halfords for my Citroen c4 picasso,  and after over an hour trying today, they were unable to install it without the wires showing, and also the rear view camera would be attached to the rear window, but as the boot opens quite wide it would stretch the wire. So I opted for a full refund as I didn't want wires showing on my front window, and was worried about the wire being stretched from my camera, when the boot was opened. 

I have a Nextbase 312 which is stuck on largely behind and slightly below the interior mirror so that the screen can be seen by the passenger, and is within range for the driver to be able to press the button to securely save the last few minutes.

The cable is quite easy. I pulled the door seal beading off the N/S/F door, pushed the cable over the leading edge of the roof lining across to the top of the A-pillar, then eased the edge of the A-pillar cover (revealed by removal of the beading) and slid the cable down the inside of the cover.  I have a 5V converter to which I connected the end of the cable, and the 12V supply for the converter was picked up off the cigar lighter in the dash. It does mean that with my car (Passat) the dashcam only works when the ignition is on but that is no hardship. The camera keeps recording for about 3 minutes after I have turned the ignition off.

Sounds complicated but actually relatively easy bar a few minor cuts and bruises!

I have 4 Nextbase, 2 in each car forward and rear facing, purchased before the new Nexbase rear cam's. They are all hard wired, via the fuse box of each car. Older model type, with 64 GB sd cards, about 2.5 years old, with no problems other than the suckers failing (replacements on ebay).

We use Next Base. Never had a problem with it, but never needed to use the recordings,  when I checked them on the computer they looked fine. With any make you do need to format the memory card reasonably often though. 

1 hour ago, Wildwood said:

We use Next Base. Never had a problem with it, but never needed to use the recordings,  when I checked them on the computer they looked fine. With any make you do need to format the memory card reasonably often though. 

Can't speak for other makes but with Nextbase there is no need to format the card save maybe annually as the machine will fill the card then overwrite existing files starting oldest first. Any locked file (i.e. you've pressed the red button to save the current recording) can only be removed by formatting, overwrite doesn't.

The instructions with ours says reformat every fortnight or so. May be you have a newer or more upmarket model though. Ours does over write the older images but I was told that the quality deteriorates as this happens. 

Nextbase for me, no problems, good picture quality, tucked behind rear view mirror and hard wired to spare live with ignition fuse socket in fuse panel just under right side of dash, wires tucked under trim. Straight forward job and there are plenty of youtube videos for ideas and advice.

Don't worry about windscreen size or shape - after all it is designed to ensure that you can see where you are going!

On 01/11/2020 at 16:43, Karen1959 said:

I had bought a Next base 322 dashcam from halfords for my Citroen c4 picasso,  and after over an hour trying today, they were unable to install it without the wires showing, and also the rear view camera would be attached to the rear window, but as the boot opens quite wide it would stretch the wire. So I opted for a full refund as I didn't want wires showing on my front window, and was worried about the wire being stretched from my camera, when the boot was opened. 

would this be the same problem for any make of dash cam? Was it that halfords could not fit it without wires showing or no dash cam can be fitted without wires showing?

macafee2

look at the features available for dashcams and decide which features you want.

Nextbase seem to do well in reviews and I have a 512GW.

If I were to hardwire in my cars I would not go up the A pillar but go up the B pillar but airbags in the pillars may restrict how wires can be run.

If you use Nextbase they can be temperamental on what make sd card is used.

macafee2

On 02/11/2020 at 11:47, Woodentop said:

Can't speak for other makes but with Nextbase there is no need to format the card save maybe annually as the machine will fill the card then overwrite existing files starting oldest first. Any locked file (i.e. you've pressed the red button to save the current recording) can only be removed by formatting, overwrite doesn't.

I think the files can be deleted via a laptop/pc

macafee2 

3 hours ago, macafee2 said:

would this be the same problem for any make of dash cam? Was it that halfords could not fit it without wires showing or no dash cam can be fitted without wires showing?

macafee2

look at the features available for dashcams and decide which features you want.

Nextbase seem to do well in reviews and I have a 512GW.

If I were to hardwire in my cars I would not go up the A pillar but go up the B pillar but airbags in the pillars may restrict how wires can be run.

If you use Nextbase they can be temperamental on what make sd card is used.

macafee2

macafee2 

The card can be formatted in the unit which will erase saved files.

5 hours ago, macafee2 said:

1 hour ago, Woodentop said:

The card can be formatted in the unit which will erase saved files.

Hi Mac, some can and some can't but most makers advise formatting in the  dash cam as Woodentop advises.

One other thing to bear in mind is that it is advisable to format the card in the dash cam every few months or so, the reason being that the memory is being overwritten so many times  and errors can be produced sometimes preventing the dash cam from being used, guess how I know, 🤔

I had bought a new dash cam  a couple of years ago, used it for about 3 months and in that time covered far more miles than I usually would do in 9 months, so it would be obviously overwriting more, one day it didn't record, went through the menus, no clues there, couldn't view the vids on the cam so presumed it was faulty, put a spare card kept in the car it worked, old card back in it didn't work,  elementary Watson, I had a faulty card , not camera, didn't I.................nope !

The card was a SanDisc and they guarantee them against being faulty (something I had never noticed till one day at a loose end I read the small print ) off it went, within about a week I got an email, the card isn't faulty, they were able to see all the vids and asked when did I last format it, being that it was used in a dash cam, my reply never !

They suggested they send it back to me, I format it in the dash cam and go from there and to contact them if there were any more problems, I formatted it and it worked, as it still does a couple of years later, so it gets formatted now about every two months  now.

Luckily because I had bought the card and camera from the same place I had a receipt for the card, without it no guarantee, so guess what happens when I buy cards, receipt stapled to the package and dropped in the receipts file.

Edited by Silversurf

I have had dash cams in mine and my wife's car and I have never formatted them ever. But I can view them on my desktop (as I do once a year) just to check they are doing their job.

My problem is the menu system - I can never remember where the Date & Tiem is when winter and summertime come along!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Usually format ours once or twice a year.

Something I wondered is, are the top notch cards,likely to provide a better image on playback?

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

Cards either work, or they don’t work in dash cams. Quality wise there is no difference because the data is recorded digitally, the quality of the camera lens does have an impact on picture quality. 

The major issue with cheap cards is the speed at which they can record data (the usual minimum is “Class 10”)

Many of the cheaper cards available from that well know auction site are labelled as being class 10 but clearly are not (ask me how I know that) 

So If getting a micro SD card for a dashcam be sure to buy it from a reputable source. I get mine from Amazon.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

17 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Cards either work, or they don’t work in dash cams. Quality wise there is no difference because the data is recorded digitally, the quality of the camera lens does have an impact on picture quality. 

The major issue with cheap cards is the speed at which they can record data (the usual minimum is “Class 10”)

Many of the cheaper cards available from that well know auction site are labelled as being class 10 but clearly are not (ask me how I know that) 

So If getting a micro SD card for a dashcam be sure to buy it from a reputable source. I get mine from Amazon.

Dash camera s push SD cards hard as the card must cope with deletion of old files while almost simultaneously storing new files.

My experience with SD cards bought on fleabay etc is they either upset the camera or do not work or both.

Buying SD cards from Asda Tesco Curry s etc have solved my SD card problems.

I am currently running front and back Next base cameras supplied by Halfords and wired in behind door and window gaskets.

Cameras now on their 3rd year.

I've just replaced my £30 generic dash cam with a Garmin 66w. It's quite compact and as you'd expect from Garmin it seems very solidly built, What I really like about it is it's 180 degree field of view so when sat at a junction it sees the road in both directions, so if an approaching vehicle is indicating, or signals you out then drives into the side of you that is caught in the camera. I think the Garmin is the only camera that can do that. It can also synchronise with other cameras to record an all around view, though I haven't gone that far yet. 

I'm quite handy with wiring so not too much bother to discard the power cable that came with it and make a new one from suitable auto cable which runs behind the trim above the windscreen than down the passenger side A pillar, again behind the trim, through a bulk head grommet and into a spare fuse in the engine bay fuse box.

When buying SD cards for any purpose, it's not where you buy them from that counts at all.

My criteria are, what's the max. amount of memory my device can cope with, or I need for the device,  what's the max. speed I need for the device, what's the reputation of the manufacturer, how reliable are the cards, do they guarantee their cards, once these decisions have been satisfied I then look for the cheapest seller.

This way I end up with exactly what I need at a price I'm happy with.

Yes I also occasionally use cheap and cheerful ones  occasionally.

7 hours ago, Silversurf said:

I then look for the cheapest seller.

be careful of SD cards from online sellers like ebay, as sometimes they are not what they claim. I bought one supposedly a San Disk high speed which I like for my DSLR which needs a high speed card for burst and video shooting, only to find it wouldn't work.  It was supposed to be a 128gb card, and when you checked it it appeared to be that, but try a write test and it started overwriting data after about 850mb. When you looked closely you could see that the San Disk logo and details were a transfer applied to a different card, and when you took it off you could still see the tracing of the original, cheap low speed 1gb card on it. 

I claimed a refund from paypal and supplied photos of the fake card but the retailer claimed the card I complained about was not the one they sent. Eventually, paypal ruled in my favour after a number of people raised the same issue and I got my money back. That was a UK seller with good feedback. 

Not all SD cards are the same, and not all are what they claim to be.