Sign in to follow this  
ericmark

Cycle lights

Front it must be marked as conforming to BS6102/3 or an equivalent EC standard. Rear must be marked as conforming to BS3648, or BS6102/3, or an equivalent EC standard. And in both cases it must emit at least 4 candelas. Oh and red reflector to rear and amber on pedals OK.

So I look on my lights and it says CE and EII etc, but no BS numbers, know e-Bike has a 0. 6W rear lamp, and the USB light on the other bike looks the same, it states 0. 3W LED but does not say if that is each or combined, however since it looks same as e-Bike I would assume each. OK I have lights on helmet as well, and lights are only required from sun set to sun rise so legal wise even if they don't comply it would be unlikely I would get caught unless in an accident.

On tracks with no motorised transport access I have only seen Police once, and it seems they were looking for drugs.   So it seems likely they are not interested in cycle lamps since 2005 when they were allowed to flash between 60 and 240 flashes per minute.  

So the question, do you select any cycle lamps that work be it Lidi, Aldi, PoundLand or other, or do you go for the ones with BS marking. I have a XLC CL-R19 German rear lamp, which recharges from USB, not that I wanted a lamp costing £16, but it was only one I could find which would fit on the cycle back rack, most it seems are designed to fit under seat (so my coat covers them) or on frame (so panniers cover them) I wanted one that took standard batteries, so I could carry spares or buy them on route, but it seems non which will fit on the flat plate of cycle rack clearly there for rear light to fit on. So seems it will run for 6 hours, don't intend being out that long,  but does mean considering turning them off when not on a road with motorised transport.

What would be great is pannier bags with lights built in, found some bags that go under ones saddle with lights on them, but in winter I tend to wear big coats which when sitting on saddle cover the lights. I expected a quick google and to find loads, but seems no, maybe not considered part of bike? What I am considering is Christmas lights on my bike.

As long as your cycle shows some form of reasonably bright red light to the rear and a white light to the front, the chances of the police doing anything at all are less than you being hit by lightning at the same time as being bitten by a shark! Unless, of course, you do something else to annoy him!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I cycle a lot, I go out four times a week and average just over 100 miles a week, hence for me lights are essential.   I go for nice bright flashing ones that hold their charge for a long time, I really don't care what markings they do or don't have on them.   My current ones came from Aldi and are rechargable by a USB cable and are really good, I have one set on the bike and a duplicate set on the front/back of my helmet.   The very cheap battery ones they sell are really only fit for the insides of a Christmas cracker.

Edited by GaryB1969

43 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Unless, of course, you do something else to annoy him!

It seems that getting aboard two wheels is an acceptable form of anarchy. The police seem to take no notice of any cyclist's behaviour:angry:

• Like 1

Our bikes have Busch & Muller rear lights. Mine runs off the dynamo and has a stand-light. Mrs H's is battery.

http://en. bumm. de/produkte/akku-ruecklicht/toplight-flat-s. html

I like the B&M Toplight; those vertical things comprise a row of prisms making the light look wider than it really is and it's much more effective in the dark that the pic shows.

As I understand it the CE marks replaced the BS marks. This may explain your difficulty in finding BS marked lights. No, I neither know nor care what will happen to CE markings after Brexit.

Never even thought about markings, we both have 11 Cree fronts and Bontrager Flare R's for the rear, about the brightest I can get.

On road if not directed properly can dazzle so need to be set up with some thought.

The 11 Crees were bought primarily for night forest rides but the Bontragers were bought with daytime protection in mind.

20181117_014849.png.e54df1125d359b91a8087bba5831de3e.png20181117_014725.thumb.png.5f0f26dfafbcab6bebc85dd88c97a188.png

15 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

. ....   I go for nice bright flashing ones that hold their charge for a long time, I really don't care what markings they do or don't have on them.   . ....

Thank goodness for a bit of common sense . .. whenever I'm out in the car I am aware that if I had a coming together with a cyclist the chances are that my 1500kg of German automobile are capable of causing considerable damage to a cyclist and their bike.

What ever the circumstances I really do not want to live with the thought that my actions had caused harm to someone else.   I get very annoyed with cyclists who don't "light up" and thereby make it more difficult to avoid colliding with them. So for my money any light that a cyclist attaches to their bike is fine by me, I know that some are uncomfortably bright but in the scheme of things I'd rather deal with that then not being able to see them.   

The idea that the Police might have any interest in the type of lights fitted to a bike is (IMHO) simply delusional, we are in a situation where are streets, homes and personal safety are under threat from the lawless folks in our society,  I certainly so not want to see Police resource directed to checking the 'CE' marks on a cyclists lights.   

Even as keen regular cyclists and car drivers it is not the certification marks on lights that concern us, what we can't understand is the dressing top to toe in black clothing, so favoured by many fellow cyclists.

Assuming most of these must also drive from time to time it is hard to understand they also don't twig that so dressed they are easily "lost" in the dappled shade  on many lanes at this time of the year.

I will have to see if our very adequate lights have all the "right" designations, but if not they will still stay put.

When I am driving, I particularly pick up on cycle front lights set to strobe effect, they stand out particularly well when being followed by vehicles with their lights on.

By contrast a cycle light set to to constant and surrounded by other vehicles can become unnoticed as they get swamped by headlight glare.

We subsequently set our front lights to strobe when out on dark roads with otherwise good surface visibility making sure that they are angled not to dazzle as some high powered Crees can be guilty of that.

1 hour ago, JTQ said:

Even as keen regular cyclists and car drivers it is not the certification marks on lights that concern us, what we can't understand is the dressing top to toe in black clothing, so favoured by many fellow cyclists.

Assuming most of these must also drive from time to time it is hard to understand they also don't twig that so dressed they are easily "lost" in the dappled shade  on many lanes at this time of the year.

I will have to see if our very adequate lights have all the "right" designations, but if not they will still stay put.

I live out in Fenland where the roads are very dark and very lumpy and I cannot understand why cyclists insist on dressing like ninjas and dont bother with lights.   They can't  see the potholes and cracks, they cannot be seen either, especially when they swerve to avoid or hit the potholes and cracks.

Even on the A10 which is a fast and very dark road with heay lorries, tractors and farm machinery there are those who think they are invulnerable - head down, bum up, dressed in black and no lights. Utter stupidity

Edited by matelodave
  • Thanks 1

BS ?  British Standard surely has been superseded now by a E mark for European type approval all lights now on vehicles only require a E mark .

Dave

12 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

BS ?  British Standard surely has been superseded now by a E mark for European type approval all lights now on vehicles only require a E mark .

Dave

Too late, already covered by others, and guess what ?  Few people really care, they just want to see lights.

Edited by Alexbee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Alex has got it in one:goodpost: 

All we want to see is lights but both at the front and the back they also need to have decent batteries or be charged - a simulated gloworm isn't really enough

Reflective or light clothing would also help.

1 hour ago, Alexbee said:

Too late, already covered by others, and guess what ?  Few people really care, they just want to see lights.

Well expect to be fined if caught ? Simples .

Dave

3 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Well expect to be fined if caught ? Simples .

Dave

And the chances of that are probably more remote than winning a lottery jackpot.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jetA1 said:

And the chances of that are probably more remote than winning a lottery jackpot.  

Exactly and there are far more riding around with no lights for 'the lads' to be checking those with.

Just looked at mine 2x rechargeable and 2x battery powered (all from Aldi) and they carry no markings. I have said goodbye to my family and await a screech of tyres and blue flashing lights as I’m whisked away for a 20 year stretch at Her Majesty’s pleasure.

As others have said, reflective clothing is equally important, in this weather I use fluorescent gloves and jacket along with keeping an eye out for those that haven’t kept an eye out for me. I enjoy competitive cycling but staying alive is part of the necessary equipment!!!

1 minute ago, GaryB1969 said:

Just looked at mine 2x rechargeable and 2x battery powered (all from Aldi) and they carry no markings. I have said goodbye to my family and await a screech of tyres and blue flashing lights as I’m whisked away for a 20 year stretch at Her Majesty’s pleasure.

As others have said, reflective clothing is equally important, in this weather I use fluorescent gloves and jacket along with keeping an eye out for those that haven’t kept an eye out for me. I enjoy competitive cycling but staying alive is part of the necessary equipment!!!

I hope you dont negate the effectiveness of the fluorescent jacket with a big black rucksack on yoyr back:(

51 minutes ago, matelodave said:

I hope you dont negate the effectiveness of the fluorescent jacket with a big black rucksack on yoyr back:(

I have also seen folks doing that, it’s a bit like keeping your lights in your pocket!

On 16/11/2018 at 14:43, Stevan said:

As long as your cycle shows some form of reasonably bright red light to the rear and a white light to the front, the chances of the police doing anything at all are less than you being hit by lightning at the same time as being bitten by a shark! Unless, of course, you do something else to annoy him!

Sadly the police appear uninterested whether bikes have lights or not judging by the number I see with no lights most nights locally!

On 16/11/2018 at 15:31, Flying Grandad said:

The police seem to take no notice of any cyclist's behaviour

Absolutely.

Personally I have no interest in whether bike lights have appropriate markings but for goodness sake now the evenings are getting darker let's see a clamp down on riding at night with no lights at all.

Our bikes have both battery operated lights and dynamo lighting front and rear. The dynamo system gives a reliable backup in the event of the lighting batteries getting low, while the battery lamps have the benefit of remaining alight when the bike is stationary. All of the lights work well but are not so bright as to cause a distraction for other road users.

Gordon.

On 16 November 2018 at 15:31, Flying Grandad said:

It seems that getting aboard two wheels is an acceptable form of anarchy. The police seem to take no notice of any cyclist's behaviour:angry:

Absolute nonsense ! There is good and bad in all walks . There is a minority of cyclists who spoil it for the law abiding cyclist . There is a minority of drivers who are actively anti cyclists but gladly I can say the majority of drivers I come across are very considerate and I thank them for that most sincerely as it nice to be "Staying Alive" . It only took 3 posts on this Thread before the anti cycle brigade comment and the Op was only posting a discussion about the law and lights . .. Very disappointing but comes as no surprise. .... 

• Like 2

Some dynamo systems have integrated power storage so the lights remain on whilst stationary, my wife's Simano based one back and front do.   Mine are simply battery powered LEDs though adequate enough, only I have to remember to switch them off after use.

Looks like most are well sorted in the 'backside' protection area but for any looking for maybe something better have a look at these.

We wanted good daytime illumination and bought our Bontrager Flare R's about 3 year years back, at £45 or so not the cheapest by far but certainly up there as the one of the brightest and most noticeable.

1 hour ago, JTQ said:

Some dynamo systems have integrated power storage so the lights remain on whilst stationary, my wife's Simano based one back and front do.   Mine are simply battery powered LEDs though adequate enough, only I have to remember to switch them off after use.

No excuse these days for any dynamo lights to be sold  which go out when you stop! That was reasonable before LEDs became commonplace, but not now.

My gripe is with the cyclists that have the light on their helmet, the fixed ones on the bike point down at the road and in the general direction the front wheel is pointed, lighting the road ahead which is what the lights should do.

The ones on the helmet are a pain as when the cyclist looks up and in your direction you get the full force of the light/s in your eyes ruining your night vision.

Why is it OK for cycle front and rear lights to brighter than say a motorcycles headlight or brake lights, and why do they need to flash.

It does seem the law regarding cycle lights is more relaxed, perhaps the law for cycles and the design and location/fixing points should mirror those for  motorcycles to ensure some level of conformity.

Sign in to follow this