Sign in to follow this  
ValA

YOUR passport after Brexit - Government guidance

The Government have issued some guidance on what 'might' happen if there is a Brexit 'No Deal'.   

Basically we will go back to the requirement for having six months still valid on our passports, and any additional months added because a passport was renewed early will not count.

I recently renewed my daughters British Passport because like myself, I want her to have an in-date Valid UK Passport & German Ausweis on 'B Day'. The remaining few months she had left on it were not added.

If we come out with no deal and then possibly we will become become a Visa waiver country then it will introduce the 90 day limit and our passports will be stamped in and out and then if overstayed you can be held and fined and upto a 3 year ban .

Nobody really knows yet how our passports will be effected if we crash out ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

1 hour ago, ValA said:

The Government have issued some guidance on what 'might' happen if there is a Brexit 'No Deal'.   

Basically we will go back to the requirement for having six months still valid on our passports, and any additional months added because a passport was renewed early will not count.

:goodpost:

I think that that is information which might be very useful to many people planning on travel next year but with their passports coming towards its life’s end.

John

But as said this is what "might" happen. Nobody really has any idea.

Sad thing for me is loosing the few months you have left when you renew.

Ours expire August 2019 and a holiday is booked for September 2019 so not sure just when to apply to get maximum use  and also will we get new UK ones or EU ones like now and have to wait 10 years for UK ones.

To me looks as if we got the worst renal dates.

I renewed in 2017, and my new passport was for 10 years and  the odd period. ..

Whilst it may be OK to hope that there is a deal I do think that with only five months to go, some things need a 'just in case' approach, otherwise we could find ourselves with problems.

• Like 2

That's how it reads, Dave.   

I have just used the tool  on the site to calculate whether I need to renew before our Spring trip and the answer was a surprising  YES  because in spit of having 6 months left on it it is(will be) over 10 years old when we travel.

This just gets worse!!!

Never mind at least they will be blue.  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, David in Cheshire said:

I have just used the tool  on the site to calculate whether I need to renew before our Spring trip and the answer was a surprising  YES  because in spit of having 6 months left on it it is(will be) over 10 years old when we travel.

This just gets worse!!!

At least you've found out now,  David, rather than when you were trying to board the ferry in Spring.   There will be many many people who won't find this information out before they set off. ............!  It's a good thing that on forums such as this people are sharing the information.   Some forums and Facebook groups won't allow any mention of Brexit - even though it's essential that we are able to share 'what might happen' (even if it doesn't!)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, David Park said:

Sad thing for me is loosing the few months you have left when you renew.

That's the UK Government changing the rules to screw the public.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, David in Cheshire said:

This just gets worse!!!

For my sept. 2019 the tool says I need to renew before travel but not when.

I'm going to have to watch if I do a May 2019 if I have to, looks like the 6 months rule will get me to have to have new for that.

35 minutes ago, DaveMiller said:

But made in France! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, DaveMiller said:

Do we know if they are ready or when will be?

22 hours ago, Lost in France said:

That's the UK Government changing the rules to screw the public.

Currently, the EU requires only that a passport or ID document is valid for EU citizens.   After Brexit the EU will require a 6 month validity from UK citizens.   If a passport will not have 6 months validity a UK citizen will need to renew to comply with the EU requirements.   Doesn't this already apply to many non-EU countries? How is the UK government screwing anybody?

After Brexit will EU citizens' ID cards/documents be accepted by the UK or will a passport be required?

• Like 1

On 07/11/2018 at 08:07, ValA said:

The advice in the link states that if a passport has extra months included because of early renewal they will not count.   However, it has been quoted elsewhere that such a passport will be invalid as the EU will not accept a passport with more than 10 years validity.

Edited by beejay

This is what I got from the Passport Office this morning.

"As of 10 September 2018, to comply with the  International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) regulation that passports are valid for up to 10 years for adults.   As such, HM Passport Office no longer transfers any remaining validity from your current passport to the new one.   If you apply 6 months before your passport expires, this remaining validity will be lost and your new passport will be valid for 10 years only.
The new blue passport design is not being introduced until October 2019 and any passports issued before this will be issued in the current burgundy design.   All passports issued before the UK formally leaves the EU and the new passport design is introduced will be valid for the full 10 years they are issued with.
Renewal passport applications have a target turnaround of 3 weeks, however this is not a guaranteed service time and may be affected by periods of high demand or if queries are raised in respect of the application.
In the event of there being no deal in place when the UK exits the European Union on 29 March 2019, British travellers will become third country nationals to the 26 EU countries that make up the Schengen Area.  
For more information on the changes, or which EU countries are included in the Schengen area please see the gov. uk website www. gov. uk/guidance/passport-rules-for-travel-to-europe-after-brexit
This means UK passport holders will be advised to have at least six months validity remaining on their passport, and for this remaining validity to be within ten years of the passport being issued. You must also have a minimum of 3 months on your passport when you leave countries which are in the Schengen Area."

Wouldn't mind so much, but we've been screwed since we entered into the EU (or Common Market as it was then).  All of the Europeans on the main land just used ID cards to travel (but had to use passports when coming into this country).  We the Brits still had to buy bloody passports to travel there.   Even abolished the year only passports, which was ok if you wanted to go for a one off trip.   So much for "free" movement

On the other hand, Skegness is looking good.  :P

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, paulthomas said:

On the other hand, Skegness is looking good.  :P

Through your rose-tinted spectacles. ................?:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, ValA said:

Through your rose-tinted spectacles. ................?:rolleyes:

Well,alright.

Cleethorpes?

After all who needs fresh baguettes, moules mariniers, pasta, paella, sangria,  

aperol, croissants, verres de vins, moussaka, soupe d'ognion, pastel donata,

grilled sea bass, swordfish, prawn pils pils. and stuff like that, when you can have fish, chips, mushy peas and a glass of Vimto?

Much better!

Edited by paulthomas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, beejay said:

After Brexit will EU citizens' ID cards/documents be accepted by the UK or will a passport be required?

That is a very good point Beejay, I have a UK Passport and a German ID card, as does my daughter but my wife only has a German ID card, she doesn’t have a Reisepass (Passport), looks like she might have to get one.

11 hours ago, paulthomas said:

Well,alright.

Cleethorpes?

After all who needs fresh baguettes, moules mariniers, pasta, paella, sangria,  

aperol, croissants, verres de vins, moussaka, soupe d'ognion, pastel donata,

grilled sea bass, swordfish, prawn pils pils. and stuff like that, when you can have fish, chips, mushy peas and a glass of Vimto?

Much better!

The UK is only leaving the EU, contrary to what many in the media keep reporting, it will be remaining in Europe.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

That is a very good point Beejay, I have a UK Passport and a German ID card, as does my daughter but my wife only has a German ID card, she doesn’t have a Reisepass (Passport), looks like she might have to get one.

Visiting here will be like visiting the US  for EU members and your still be able but need more documents and restrictions .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave