Spot Light colour temperature

nigelsivyer

Can't help you directly,  unfortunately,  but I  suspect many people won't be sure what you're referring to.

Let me clarify in case it jogs someone's memory.  

The colour temperature of a "white" light refers to how warm the white is.

Basically,  2700 to 3000k is "warm white" 

3500 to 4000k is white/cool white.

4500 upwards is cool white/daylight.

The higher numbers tend to produce a very cold, clinical, almost blue, light, which, despite the lumen output being roughly similar to the warmer values, often seems subjectively brighter, especially on things such as white documents.  

Cooked food, however, tends to look a strange colour under these bluish lights.

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

LED lights fitted as O/E to the vast majority of UK built M/Hs and caravans are almost exclusively between 2500k and 3000k.

Wherever possible I've always replaced LED bulbs in "work" areas (kitchen, reading etc.) with higher colour temperature (around 6000k) bulbs as the light is much kinder on the eyes and renders colours more accurately.

Continental built vans occasionally have bulbs with a higher colour temperature from new.

From what we have found best at work i would be looking at around 4. 5K

3K Is a bit to yellow for reading (the page colour) 

6K is a bit to bright

We did put in some 9K WOW that was bright :D

It is remarkable how a plain A4 sheet of paper changes in its readability (And the changes in colour to the office furniture)

Bailey Pageant Bretagne Series 6 - LR Discovery Td5 Auto

14 hours ago, WispMan said:

All Greek to me :D

Does this make any more sense? To expand on what  bspks has written, the colour temperature of light refers to how "white" the light appears. Think of car headlights: the old tungsten bulbs vs halogen vs xenon /led. Each had a higher "temperature" compared to the previous standard. Those which appear slightly blue as you approach them are a higher temperature than the old yellow looking lights. The chart below gives examples.

1500 K  Candlelight

2680 K  40 W incandescent lamp

3000 K  200 W incandescent lamp

3200 K  Sunrise/sunset

3400 K  Tungsten lamp

3400 K  1 hour from dusk/dawn

5000-4500 K  Xenon lamp/light arc

5500 K  Sunny daylight around noon

5500-5600 K  Electronic photo flash

6500-7500 K  Overcast sky

9000-12000 K  Blue sky

• Like 1

The reason i ask is that i want to change the 2 spots above the bed to a couple that have the USB charger built in. It could be very useful to have phone charging points there. The Mensa ones i am looking at are 4100k and would ideally want them to match what is already there. Any Ideas?

s-l1600.jpg

I fitted a couple of these in my U3 Cadiz and they have a colder and a noticably whiter light than all the other lights in the van which look quite yellow in comparison.

The Mensa lights are also dimmable so you can reduce it a bit.  

Edited by matelodave

• 2 weeks later...

If you've not found your answer yet, I've just discovered that you can get colour temperature apps in both android and iPhone versions.  

You could always install one of those and measure it yourself.  

Edited by bspks

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

The Mensa lights come in three different colours:

Warm white which should be 2700K

White which is around 3000K

Daylight or cool white which is typically 6500K.

You only need to match colours if you have other lights in the caravan of different types, e. g. halogen. You would typically expect lighting to be the same as home, 2700K, but if you have halogen anywhere inside the van then you need 3000K.

Here's the sting in the tail - Mensa haven't a clue what colour temp is. One of the same type of lights in our brand new Unicorn S4 Seville failed after a couple of weeks. My dealer ordered a replacement from Mensa and at my request said it was for a Bailey and should be warm white. The lamp that arrived was almost daylight white. They ordered a second with the same request and a second of the same colour arrived. The dealer took one off a demo caravan in the showroom and fitted that - perfect match. You would expect that Mensa would provide exactly the same lamp that they supplied to Bailey - no, that's far too easy! I even rang them myself and they didn't even know/realise that the lamps they are selling were/are different colours.

D'oh! My brain hurts. .....

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville