Sign in to follow this  
SuperRed

Coachman VIP pan drawer

Does anyone else have an issue with the bottom pan drawer coming open whilst towing the van?

We had an issue with our previous VIP pan drawer and now have the same issue with the new van. It has overstretched the runners and some ball bearings have escaped from the runners making the drawer almost unusable. The dealer has got some new runners on order under warranty but we need to sort the issue out or it will just happed again.

We have thought about a child lock type of thing but not too sure if / how it could work.

25 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

Does anyone else have an issue with the bottom pan drawer coming open whilst towing the van?

We had an issue with our previous VIP pan drawer and now have the same issue with the new van. It has overstretched the runners and some ball bearings have escaped from the runners making the drawer almost unusable. The dealer has got some new runners on order under warranty but we need to sort the issue out or it will just happed again.

We have thought about a child lock type of thing but not too sure if / how it could work.

We have had no issues with  the drawer opening either with our 2015 VIP for 3 years or or new VIP, could your rear clip be weak??

Ditto kiaboy. No problems with our 2015 or 2018 VIPs. However, our pans travel in the cupboard under the cooker.

29 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

We have had no issues with  the drawer opening either with our 2015 VIP for 3 years or or new VIP, could your rear clip be weak??

1 minute ago, Mickyjb said:

Ditto kiaboy. No problems with our 2015 or 2018 VIPs. However, our pans travel in the cupboard under the cooker.

Interesting, I don't think we overload the drawer, but we carry the same in this van as the last one so maybe we do :excl:.

Yes we experienced our bottom drawer sliding open during transit. Probably overloaded by the other half, but a quick simple fix.  

I went to my dealer and asked for a second drawer catch, added this onto the drawer arrangement, by moving the original off centre, and added the second catch. Never opened during transit ever again.

ooh you did  have  to add additional small timber runner along the rear face of frame work between the bottom and next drawer up to secure the catches.

PapaT

49 minutes ago, PapaT said:

Yes we experienced our bottom drawer sliding open during transit. Probably overloaded by the other half, but a quick simple fix.  

I went to my dealer and asked for a second drawer catch, added this onto the drawer arrangement, by moving the original off centre, and added the second catch. Never opened during transit ever again.

ooh you did  have  to add additional small timber runner along the rear face of frame work between the bottom and next drawer up to secure the catches.

PapaT

Thanks for that, seems a very good simple solution. I will ask the dealer for another catch.

2 hours ago, SuperRed said:

We have had our 2018 VIP since the end of March this year and have travelled / towed about 4000 miles with it and the pan draw has been no problem whatsoever despite having quite a few cooking pans in it.   However, my wife doesn't like the catches and has asked me to get a spare or two just in case something breaks whilst on holiday.

Alan

Yes, we do, happens every trip, I raise it every year when the van is serviced and told they have adjusted it, but still flops open, I now position the hook up cable that lives in a bag in front of it and that has cured it from opening fully,however it still unclips itself 

2 hours ago, Les Medes said:

Yes, we do, happens every trip, I raise it every year when the van is serviced and told they have adjusted it, but still flops open, I now position the hook up cable that lives in a bag in front of it and that has cured it from opening fully,however it still unclips itself 

See below

On 13/11/2018 at 19:14, PapaT said:

PapaT

I spoke to the dealer about the issue and said that someone on this forum has fitted another clip to the drawer which has cured the problem. The dealer has had authorisation from Coachman to fit another catch the next time the van is at the dealers.

• Thanks 1

We have found in our various Lunars transverse drawers can tend to come open the simolest solution is to fit a second clip which has in our case always resolved the problem.

Posted (edited)

We have a 2018 VIP 460 and have experienced the same problem.   As we discovered the problem on arrival on site it was a case of bending the runners straight, replacing the ball bearings, fortunately they were all accounted for, installing the plastic end stop and we were back in business.

Since then we have ensured that something pretty heavy is placed against the drawer to prevent it opening and that has worked well.

Thanks SuperRed for your solution of a second catch, which is an easy solution to implement, and it is also interesting that Coachman have authorised a dealer to implement it as a 'field fix'.  I will be doing that ASAP.

Edited by Pilgrim21
Improved 'readability'.

Fitting an extra catch seems to be a very good idea .  We had a drawer in our Coachman Vision wardrobe make a bid for freedom.  I'll certainly look at this as a solution.

John.

2 hours ago, Pilgrim21 said:

We have a 2018 VIP 460 and have experienced the same problem.   As we discovered the problem on arrival on site it was a case of bending the runners straight, replacing the ball bearings, fortunately they were all accounted for, installing the plastic end stop and we were back in business.

Since then we have ensured that something pretty heavy is placed against the drawer to prevent it opening and that has worked well.

Thanks SuperRed for your solution of a second catch, which is an easy solution to implement, and it is also interesting that Coachman have authorised a dealer to implement it as a 'field fix'.  I will be doing that ASAP.

Hi Leedslad

I can't take credit for the idea, it was posted by PapaT

On 13/11/2018 at 19:14, PapaT said:

PapaT

• Haha 1

👍🏻