Sign in to follow this  
Kevee

Water Pump & Electrics Help

Hi All,

Just before the summer I purchased my first second hand caravan and it was great and working well. However I now need some help so hoping someone out there can help this newbie.

My caravan is an Elise Diamond which has a Whale submerisble water pump with a Sterling control panel. The other day the pump kicked in to replenish the hot water we had just used, unfortunately there was very little water left in the aqua roll so it was running for a few mins before we realised what had happened. I switched the water pump switch off on the control panel, I thought it felt a little stiff which was unusual but did not think anything of it. Once I filled up the water I tried to switch the pump back on, on the control panel and the switch will not work, it feels like there is a lot of resistance and it will not stay in the on position.

I do not think there is an issue with the pump because when you switch the switch for the power to go from car\off\van the pump will run for a few seconds like it is initialising then stops which it has done since I have had it. I have also disconnected the battery for 30 seconds and had the caravan running from the mains.

Since the other switches on the control panel are working  and this specific one feels like there is some form of resistance I was wondering if there is something I need to reset somewhere? I have also looked at the back and side of the control panel and the switch section (pump, car\van, water heater, charging) is in one module which is rivited to the metal frame so can't access the switches, also there is one plug going into that module so it is not like I can wire in a new switch by splicing the appropriate wires.

Any ideas on what I can do would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

It sounds to me that the switch may have got a little warm and possibly distorted or part melted the plastic. Without knowing the model of control panel you have on your caravan it's impossible to recommend a replacement switch but that is probably the solution.

It is unlikely that he submersible pump has sufferer any damage if it only ran dry for a few minutes.

Thanks for the reply.

The switch does not look distorted from the front but I cant see the back of it so it is possible. The best way I can think of describing it is a similar feeling to the old boiler switches where you could not have Central Heating or Hot Water on without the other if that makes sense.

I am not sure how I get the model of the control panel will it be on a label on the back of it?

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi

Can you post a pic of the panel and supply the full details ie manufacturer, model and year

Dave

Hi,

I do not have access to the caravan at the moment but it is a Sterling Eccles Diamond caravan which was built around 1998 or 1999.

Hope that helps in the meantime.

Kevin

When you have access, the socket that houses the pump switch looks like it has two fixing screws. If you can remove the cover,  you should be able to get to the wires. If you short these together then you can check if the pump will run, if so then its the switch.  

I looked at the switches on a youtube video. The manual is available for a year 2000 model on the swift website if this helps

Edited by ian16527

Thanks Ian, can you post the link to the YouTube video so I can confirm if they are the same switches?

Hi Kevee

I have a hand book for a Swift 1999 Abbey the elec system will be the same or simular

The elec system is supplied Plug in System / Bonus group 

This Guy is an ex plug in systems Enginner for parts and service

www. expluginsteve. co. uk/

If you want the above hand book PM    me with a direct email addy ( to large to post on the forum ) or look at my profile for my email addy

Dave

Hi All,

I have just checked and it is a PMS2000 unit.

Thanks,

Kevin

15 hours ago, Kevee said:

Hi All,

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi,

Look at the 4th switch down, same as yours? http://www. expluginsteve. co. uk/page6. htm

Regards

M

Edited by MDM

22 hours ago, Kevee said:

Thanks Ian, can you post the link to the YouTube video so I can confirm if they are the same switches?

Not sure if this is your van.

4 hours ago, MDM said:

Hi,

Look at the 4th switch down, same as yours? http://www. expluginsteve. co. uk/page6. htm

Regards

M

The rocker switches look standard size which should be available from any car shop or RS/Farnell

On 12/11/2018 at 16:40, Kevee said:

Hi All,

Thanks,

Kevin

hi

PM sent last night please cheek you in box

Dave

Hi All,

Just a quick update to say have replaced the switch and have running water again now. Thanks all for your help, much appreciated.

Kevin

• Like 3

Thank you for returning to tell the forum as this may well help a future a caravanner solve their problem.