Sign in to follow this  
springtime

Tethering or Mifi

5 hours ago, Nilrem said:

I am interested in this router from 3. Do you know if the aerials can be replaced with leads coming from an external aerial with TS9 connectors?

As Dave said - sma adapter.   I get terribly confused over male/female (in this context ONLY) -  on the sma side, the adapter needs to have the male centre core but the outer metal screw-on needs to be female!!

On this link, the left end is what you need for the Huawei.

https://www. ebay. com/itm/Male-SMA-plug-to-Female-TS9-jack-adapter-RF-Antenna-Coax-Cable-25-cm-10in-RG174-/272373289032

Edited by SamD

20 hours ago, PR1 said:

No need for USB  socket! Just sits on our front shelf!

My apologies - I thought a dongle was a USB stick you plugged in to a laptop/computer.

2 hours ago, SamD said:

On this link, the left end is what you need for the Huawei.

Thanks Sam - very helpful.

Most of the PAYG cards / packages seem to have a time limit like EE 6gb to be used in three months (Argos). Are there any with either no time limits or at least 12 months?

Edited by springtime

1 minute ago, AndyPoole said:

I have 2000G per month so I just use the tethering

That's OK if you are on a contract that allows tethering. Not all do and most PayGo schemes dont allow it either.

Thanks for that but a couple more questions.

Are the mifi packages locked into the original provider so that other cards cannot be used.

How does a card work that has say 12gb on it and part way through the year  it is topped up but at the end of 12 months there is say 2gb of the original data still on the card.  Is the provider able to determine old and new?

Edited by springtime

I have been using the Mymemory package for two years plus and don't bother topping up,just get another card as it is cheaper.

geoff

It cost more per Gb to top up than buying another one so you are better off buying two 12Gb cards and then swapping them out when the first runs out or getting a 24Mb one if you think you are going to use it all.

Once the card has be been activated then the time starts from then, but there's nothing to prevent you from taking it out of the unit and using one from another provider  - some people carry sim cards from several providers to ensure that they've got coverage.

In the end you have to try and work out how much data you think you'll use and when you use it to decide whether a monthly or PayGo scheme is most cost effective.

I got my MiFi unit earlier this year when BT mucked up my home broadband and disconnected us for nearly three weeks and we managed to get through around 18Gb, however since then we've been away and usually use the CC wifi and have only used another couple of Gb on the sim, so we've got 4Gb left until around June next year. But I've got another 12Gb card ready for when it runs out.

Sorry correction its Gb not Mb

Edited by matelodave

29 minutes ago, springtime said:

Thanks for that but a couple more questions.

Are the mifi packages locked into the original provider so that other cards cannot be used.

How does a card work that has say 12gb on it and part way through the year  it is topped up but at the end of 12 months there is say 2gb of the original data still on the card.  Is the provider able to determine old and new?

Mifi units are now like mobiles, they are not allowed to be locked to a single provider.  

If you top up the Three data only sim you need to be a little careful because any “top-up” only has a thirty day “life” and it’s the ORIGINAL data that’s used up first.

So if you have say 2Gb left on the sim and top it up with another’s 5Gb you then in theory have 7Gb left. BUT if you then only use 3Gb over the next month you will use up the “original” 2Gb and  just1Gb of the Top up, so the remaining 4Gb from the top up simply disappears!!

As others have said it’s actually a better deal to buy an additional Data only sim (Do a Google search, lots of places sell them for a lot LESS than Three do, bizarre but true) because it will have either 12 or 24 months life!! I have done this for many years now. When you insert the new sim into a Mifi that’s already been used with a Three sim it just works so don’t think you have to register in the U. K. (and start the 12 months) before you go.

Just be aware that a Data only sim will NOT work in a phone! 

Another option I use is a Wi-fi extending aerial (about £15 on eBay) with my laptop. (It plugs into a USB socket and is powered from the laptop)

It picks up free Wi-fi signals from sometimes amazing distances (line of sight) and will often be enough to use a campsites free Wi-fi that only normally works around reception etc), you can then use your laptop as your personal Wi-fi hotspot.  

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

That’s great. Thank you all I’ve learnt so much this morning I can hopefully avoid the pitfalls :)

37 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

. .....Just be aware that a Data only sim will NOT work in a phone!.....

EE apparently sell data only SIMs  which work in phones, don't know about other providers.

Mifi units are now like mobiles, they are not allowed to be locked to a single provider.  

I did not know that

I tend only to use my phone as a wifi access point if I can't get site wifi. I have a 4 gb data allowance per month and that is usually more than enough. The only advice if doing that and using a Windows laptop is make sure you set the connection to a metered one so it restricts the amount of download, like updates, so that you keep data usage in check.

David

On 18/11/2018 at 10:00, Mr Plodd said:

i was not aware that the rules have changed

It would appear neither are ofcom

https://www. ofcom. org. uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/mobile-phone-locking-and-unlocking

• Haha 1

On 18/11/2018 at 10:00, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

Can you provide a link to that, please?

Three mobile has sold devices that are not locked for some years but most of the 'phone shops' sell devices locked to a single service provider.

• Like 1

Intrigued at this thread I didn’t know such things were available, Iv got 30gb/ month on o2 but Iv found quite often I don’t get a signal, would one of these mifi units improve that and what is tethering?

cheers

The technology for data is no different between a phone and a MiFi unit... so it won't make a difference to your reception....

"Tethering" is the act of connecting the device you want to receive data to the mobile device.  The most common way is to make the phone a WiFi "hotspot".  On the laptop (or whatever) you just see that hotspot as an additional wireless network

9 hours ago, chris76 said:

Intrigued at this thread I didn’t know such things were available, Iv got 30gb/ month on o2 but Iv found quite often I don’t get a signal, would one of these mifi units improve that and what is tethering?

cheers

1 hour ago, Guzzilazz said:

The technology for data is no different between a phone and a MiFi unit... so it won't make a difference to your reception....

"Tethering" is the act of connecting the device you want to receive data to the mobile device.  The most common way is to make the phone a WiFi "hotspot".  On the laptop (or whatever) you just see that hotspot as an additional wireless network

My experience tells me, on some occasions it can make a difference.  I'm a firm believer that a dedicated device is likely to have better components (internal aerial) than a multi-purpose one and additionally many Mifi units have the option for an external aerial which can make a significant difference in poor reception areas which are common place for us 'wanderers'.

10 hours ago, chris76 said:

cheers

We have a Three Mifi unit and it will get the same signal as a mobile phone.  We are with Three and had no issue with signal at any campsite in France.  No additional costs either as Three have the "Feel at Home" roaming policy.  Not sure about O2 and roaming in the EU?

On 02  I've found quite often I don’t get a signal

I use tethering to my 02 mobile at home and abroad and don't often have a problem.

However I also carry a 'myfi' type gadget (actually an EE branded in car device) bought 'unlocked' off that auction site. I use a 3 network  Internet With Legs 12 month 12Gb sim card as back up.

It comes in handy if data on the phone gets low towards the end of the month and during a week at Loch Ness Shores CCC site it came into it's own as there was no 02 reception what so ever!

Just need to make sure there isn't any data left at the end of the 12 months.....

Jim

On 11/11/2018 at 17:33, Mr Plodd said:

A Mifi device is basically a mobile phone that can ONLY receive or transmit data. It still requires a SIM card and of course a connection to the mobile phone network.

Andy

A mifi can receive texts but I haven't found how to send them.

53 minutes ago, beejay said:

Surely by using your tablet or phone??? I do.

geoff

17 hours ago, beejay said:

You can send text with a Three Mifi no problem. 

16 hours ago, shipbroker said:

Surely by using your tablet or phone??? I do.

geoff

I think he was referring to sending a text using the Mifi.  Not sure why when as you say it is simpler to send it from your phone.  The only advantage of sending a text from a Mifi unit is that it is anonymous and they cannot phone to back.  LOL!