Sign in to follow this  
springtime

Tethering or Mifi

I currently use tethering on my EE mobile phone (10gb allowance pm) which I find quite effective and a lot cheaper/more reliable than using site wifi.

I've not had any experience of mifi, pros and cons.

Thoughts?

I use a MiFi and the major benefit is that you can connect an external antenna which gives much better reception than just using a phone. Works well all over the UK, France and Spain.   I got mine from www. motorhomewifi. com  Also means we can connect multiple devices.

• Like 1

I use a Mifi unit but probably because I only have a 500MB data allowance on my phone. I like the fact that I can buy a separate data Sim which could last a year if I don’t use up the data first.

A Mifi device is basically a mobile phone that can ONLY receive or transmit data. It still requires a SIM card and of course a connection to the mobile phone network.

So you have to buy a data SIM card and pay for the data. About the cheapest option (unless you go for a monthly data only contract) is the “Internet with legs” SIM that Three offer. That’s what I use with my Mifi.

I am pretty sure you can not attach an external aerial to a simple Mifi device (they are only about the size of a pack of playing cards, but they have a rechargeable battery in them) You can get mobile Wi-fi devices but they cost in the hundreds of pounds.

I use the Three system all over France, Italy and Spain with no problem IF in range of a mobile phone mast.

Andy

We use a three dongle! Buy the SIM cards on the internet, as much cheaper than ‘three shops ‘ .  Suits us when  we have no internet or poor internet on site!

5 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I am pretty sure you can not attach an external aerial to a simple Mifi device (they are only about the size of a pack of playing cards, but they have a rechargeable battery in them) 

I can’t plug an external aerial into mine, but you can on the newer versions. I just pop mine up in the Heki to maximise signal if in a poor signal area.

2 minutes ago, PR1 said:

We use a three dongle! Buy the SIM cards on the internet, as much cheaper than ‘three shops ‘ .  Suits us when  we have no internet or poor internet on site!

But can you only use that in a USB socket? - no good for tablets.

21 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I am pretty sure you can not attach an external aerial to a simple Mifi device

My Huawei E5573 mifi WILL accept an external aerial.

I use a Mifi for abroad as 3 has limitations on tethering on different contracts and my 3 Mifi 4g I think I have read can connect twin Ariel . Not got one but looked into connecting a Ariel  a few weeks ago that is fixed to a window and suppose to increase signal on eBay .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

We currently use our EE accounts for tethering and have 17GB per month data allowance between us on one Apple phone and one Samsung.

Can't remember the last time we were without a 3g/4g signal so has worked well for us.

38 minutes ago, Griff said:

We currently use our EE accounts for tethering and have 17GB per month data allowance between us on one Apple phone and one Samsung.

Can't remember the last time we were without a 3g/4g signal so has worked well for us.

That works if you have enough data included on your monthly contract and you are happy to pay extra for it. . I, and others I am sure, do not wish to pay for monthly data because we have unlimited internet at home and are not abroad long enough to warrant the additional monthly cost. That’s why I use a Mifi device with a data only sim.

Andy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glen and Les said:

I can’t plug an external aerial into mine, but you can on the newer versions. I just pop mine up in the Heki to maximise signal if in a poor signal area.

But can you only use that in a USB socket? - no good for tablets.

No need for USB  socket! Just sits on our front shelf!

One interesting thing is that due a recent OFCOM ruling the Three “all you can eat” 4g contract SIM which is intended for phones can be used in a mifi/router and won’t be blocked.   They used to block use of these SIMS for data only but cannot anymore. ..  £27 a month on a 12 month contract / £32 a month on a rolling 30 day contract.

There are a number of people taking advantage of this for home broadband and ditching their fixed BT line.

Details here:

https://www. ofcom. org. uk/about-ofcom/latest/bulletins/competition-bulletins/all-closed-cases/cw_01218

Since we opened our investigation in March 2018, Three has confirmed that it has already:

- withdrawn restrictions which slowed down speeds of Peer-to-Peer and Virtual Private Network traffic for customers when roaming within the EU; and

- withdrawn restrictions on the use of handset SIMs in dongles and mifis.

Mark.

Edited by Markt1891

I have used PAYG '3' sims for seven years now. ..only place they dont work is in my garden!

geoff

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

. .......That’s why I use a Mifi device with a data only sim.

Andy

Out of interest, how much does your data only SIM cost and for how much data?

They’re normally between £27-35 for 12gb and that 12gb will last up to 12 months, you can top them up online when they run out but it’s cheaper to just buy a new one. Did that for a while while we worked out how much we used.

I used to have the HUAWEI e5577 which has twin ts9 ports for an external MIMO aerial, worked really well and with the aerial connected I could increase my speed from 12mb to 35mb in less than perfect reception areas.  

Upgraded now to a 40gb a month for £22 router from 3, if you’re always on mains you can use it in the van, if not just get a 12v stabilised supply for it http://www. three. co. uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/HomeFi?memory=0&colour=Black

on the plan you get free Netflix and other stuff without using any of your data allowance.

A742586C-225A-4A3C-8E99-AACD25646918.jpeg

Edited by sleepyfolk

THe last Three data sim I bought (March this year, from I think Amazon because it was cheaper than buying directly from Three,) was a 24 Gb one and I paid around £40 for it BUT it lasts for 24 months from first use.

You can top up these cards on line but, and it’s a big but, the data you buy only last for ONE month, plus any of the original data is used up first. So basically it’s better to buy a second sim because the cost is about the same but you get 12 months to use it up rather than 1 month.

Data sims can be got from here https://www. mymemory. co. uk/mobile/mobile-phone/sim-cards. html

12gb for 12 months is £28 whereas is £40 from three.

The EE deal looks better at £24 for 12gb but it only last for three months

9 hours ago, sleepyfolk said:

They’re normally between £27-35 for 12gb and that 12gb will last up to 12 months, you can top them up online when they run out but it’s cheaper to just buy a new one. Did that for a while while we worked out how much we used.

I used to have the HUAWEI e5577 which has twin ts9 ports for an external MIMO aerial, worked really well and with the aerial connected I could increase my speed from 12mb to 35mb in less than perfect reception areas.  

Upgraded now to a 40gb a month for £22 router from 3, if you’re always on mains you can use it in the van, if not just get a 12v stabilised supply for it http://www. three. co. uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/HomeFi?memory=0&colour=Black

on the plan you get free Netflix and other stuff without using any of your data allowance.

A742586C-225A-4A3C-8E99-AACD25646918.jpeg

That's the same model I use with 24GB data sims from 3 but Sleepyfolk's photo doesn't show the 2 aerials which screw into the back (they stick up about 3/4 inches)  which make a huge difference in receptionability (just invented a new word!)

Amazon are currently selling the 3 24Gb 24 month sim for £45.  

I have an 02 sim only contract with 18Gb per month plus unlimited calls and texts. So far the data allowance has never run out completely however during a stay  at Loch Ness Shores C&CC site during the  summer hols the 02 signal was useless and the 3 Internet with Legs sim came into it's own (used in an unlocked EE car dongle that plugs into one of the 12v outlets in the 'van).

Equally, I have not yet been away for a whole contract month when 18Gb may be short, so I have bought 2 new 3 IwL 12Gb sims to take on our winter trip to the sun.

I wonder, does anyone know whether there is any difficulty actually activating the sims whilst roaming?

Jim

Well worth having a mifi and very easy at low cost.

External portable aerial for mifi, agree it does boost speed and improves reception or gets a signal.

https://www. amazon. co. uk/NETGEAR-6000450-Antenna-Aircard-Hotspots/dp/B00DN3J03O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1542015213&sr=8-4&keywords=mifi+aerial

We purchased mifi unit via Motorhomewifi - very helpful team based in Yorkshire.

We dont do contract on phones or mifi after a struggle to get off them, much much cheaper to do stand alone . We just buy and use data or credit as and when its needed.

1 hour ago, SamD said:

That's the same model I use with 24GB data sims from 3 but Sleepyfolk's photo doesn't show the 2 aerials which screw into the back (they stick up about 3/4 inches)  which make a huge difference in receptionability (just invented a new word!)

I am interested in this router from 3. Do you know if the aerials can be replaced with leads coming from an external aerial with TS9 connectors?

I think in the instructions it says something about not using an external aerial for whatever reason, but I guess it could be fine, I haven’t plugged my aerial in to this new unit as the reception has been fine so far. It’s picking up a signal better than the e5773 did