Sign in to follow this  
NobbyTucker

Estate Towcar Options - 4WD or AWD but NOT SUV?

volvo v70 cross country. 45mpg, super smooth drive. 2. 4. so plenty og oommff. and the weight is good for kerb

I suppose I’ll have to float the Subaru boat, no pun intended, honest . I am on my second Outback diesel & really like the car for it’s driveability, comfort & economy, solo I get around 48 mpg locally, 55+ on motorways & towing my 1495kg van I get about 30 . My latest car is euro6 & is a 2015 model the previous one was euro4 & 2008 . My present car is about the same size as an Audi A6 & has loads of room for passengers or luggage, with the seats down the rear space is huge. I did look at a Skoda Superb but for the money the Subaru is a lot better equipped.

The Outback is A4 sized, not A6 (halfway between in length and considerably narrower than both)

15 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

The Outback is A4 sized, not A6 (halfway between in length and considerably narrower than both)

Sorry but the Outback is nearer the A6 than the A4 .

11 mm shorter than A6, 4mm narrower,

10 mm longer than A4, 11 mm wider . that’s Wider !.

cargo space, seats down,

Outback.   1848 litres

A6.                 1680 litres

A4.                  1610 litres

price of both Audi’s is a massive increase on the Outback when equipped to the same level & if you specify all wheel drive           Ooer !.

plus Subaru have never been questioned on their emissions figures or mpg accuracy, well not yet anyway 😏

Oh & forgot to mention, the Outback comes with a comprehensive 5 year, 100000 mile warranty.

Edited by stevew1

https://www. carmagazine. co. uk/car-reviews/subaru/subaru-outback-2015-review/

There are links to similar cars here too.    :)

John.

34 minutes ago, Leedslad said:

https://www. carmagazine. co. uk/car-reviews/subaru/subaru-outback-2015-review/

There are links to similar cars here too.    :)

John.

Cheers John,

Wwow what is mr Ffffrench Constant on, methinks an overdose of dictionary reading or maybe Prose ac ( pun intended ). My Outback is a 2016 diesel manual & is quite nippy enough for my 70 year old frame, back when I was a lad that 0  to 62 would have been a respectable sports car figure . Thanks for the article though, it brightened my day . 😀😀🚙. ..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

The 4Motion system used on FWD/AWD VW Group cars is by Haldex so no different to any other Haldex-equipped car.

The 4Motion system used on Touareg and bigger Audi's uses a centre Torsen diff, not Haldex clutches and the 4xMotion system on Touareg Escape uses a lockable centre diff.

So can these systems along with the generation 5 go under water with out an inspection afterwards?

4 hours ago, stevew1 said:

cargo space, seats down,

Outback.   1848 litres

price of both Audi’s is a massive increase on the Outback when equipped to the same level & if you specify all wheel drive           Ooer !.

plus Subaru have never been questioned on their emissions figures or mpg accuracy, well not yet anyway 😏

Oh & forgot to mention, the Outback comes with a comprehensive 5 year, 100000 mile warranty.

10mm isn't even half an inch!

2 hours ago, xtrailman said:

So can these systems along with the generation 5 go under water with out an inspection afterwards?

As far as Touareg goes, then yes as the wading depth for steel sprung versions is 500mm compared to 200mm ground clearance - I don't have technical information for other models but LR's Freelander 2 has the same 500mm wading depth and uses a Haldex system like VW FWD/AWD vehicles.

As those cars have a higher ride height its to be expected that the wading height is higher.

Which also suggests that the op should NOT be looking at normal estates?

I've not launched many boats, a couple of small dingy's and my father in law's 22' cruiser a few times but in all the times I've done it and watched others do it at Marina's I've never had the vehicle in the water other than an inch or two at the back tyres,

At the angle of most launching ramps if you were covering the rear diff with water your towbar electrics would be submerged.

Most Marina's are set up so you don't need the vehicle in the water.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stevew1 said:

cargo space, seats down,

Outback.   1848 litres

I have no idea what warranty and dieselgate has to do with dimensions - anyway;

Outback - 4820mm x 1840mm

A4 Avant - 4725mm x 1842mm

A6 Avant - 4939mm x 1886mm

Closer to the A4 Avant than the A6 Avant.

My online figures were,

outback.     4815         1840

A6.                 4930.         1880

A4.                 4720.          1735

whatever the differences in dimensions the important one is interior space & the Outback wins that for me . Warranty & dieselgate were just two more positive factors in Subaru’s favour when I made my buying choice.

37 minutes ago, stevew1 said:

My online figures were,

outback.     4815         1840

A6.                 4930.         1880

A4.                 4720.          1735

whatever the differences in dimensions the important one is interior space & the Outback wins that for me . Warranty & dieselgate were just two more positive factors in Subaru’s favour when I made my buying choice.

Compared to the A6, the Subaru only has 4-cylinder engines, not particularly powerful ones at that. I'm a fan of the Outback, having owned one, but I wouldn't put it up against the A6

3 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Compared to the A6, the Subaru only has 4-cylinder engines, not particularly powerful ones at that. I'm a fan of the Outback, having owned one, but I wouldn't put it up against the A6

I agree about the engine power although I find it perfectly adequate for my needs, I spoke to a Subaru mechanic a few years ago now & he told me that the factory had got about 225 bhp out of the engine in factory tests, I think they could probably get a useful 180 - 190 bhp out of it for road use but they are limited by the use of the variotronic auto gearbox which won’t take the diesels torque. My original 2008 Outback diesel could only be specced with a 5 speed manual box, it’s torque back then was more than the 3. 6 litre petrol 6 cylinder which was also an option, sometime later they beefed up the auto box & put it in the diesel but it is at its limit with the available torque which is why I think they have never bothered to upgrade the engine, just messed with the electronics to get the emissions down . Audi have the same scenario with their cars, the lower powered diesels have a variotronic type box, the higher powered ones have the tiptronic .

1 hour ago, stevew1 said:

I agree about the engine power although I find it perfectly adequate for my needs, I spoke to a Subaru mechanic a few years ago now & he told me that the factory had got about 225 bhp out of the engine in factory tests, I think they could probably get a useful 180 - 190 bhp out of it for road use but they are limited by the use of the variotronic auto gearbox which won’t take the diesels torque. My original 2008 Outback diesel could only be specced with a 5 speed manual box, it’s torque back then was more than the 3. 6 litre petrol 6 cylinder which was also an option, sometime later they beefed up the auto box & put it in the diesel but it is at its limit with the available torque which is why I think they have never bothered to upgrade the engine, just messed with the electronics to get the emissions down . Audi have the same scenario with their cars, the lower powered diesels have a variotronic type box, the higher powered ones have the tiptronic .

The lineartronic may not take the diesel's torque but their other autoboxes would - not sold here but there was a twin-turbo Legacy sold in some markets, with enormous torque.

Subaru have now dropped the diesel globally in view of changing demand and attitudes.

A pity the 285PS Legacy STi never made it officially to the UK.  

Had the pleasure of a drive at an SIDC meet.  

image.thumb.png.f6333a65c4f8a98a3cb98ac11fd2ed76.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

The lineartronic may not take the diesel's torque but their other autoboxes would - not sold here but there was a twin-turbo Legacy sold in some markets, with enormous torque.

Subaru have now dropped the diesel globally in view of changing demand and attitudes.

I’ll be keeping mine at least another 5 or 6 years  , after that who knows what will be available, if the torque is down caravanning will take a big hit .

7 minutes ago, stevew1 said:

I’ll be keeping mine at least another 5 or 6 years  , after that who knows what will be available, if the torque is down caravanning will take a big hit .

Don't worry. It's torque at the wheels that matters.  

Modern turbo petrols not only have high torque at low rpm they are also lower geared.

Many other manufacturers 2. 0 petrols already match or exceed the torque of the Legacy Outback's 2. 0TDI, have lower gearing and significantly more power.

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Don't worry. It's torque at the wheels that matters.  

Modern turbo petrols not only have high torque at low rpm they are also lower geared.

Many other manufacturers 2. 0 petrols already match or exceed the torque of the Legacy Outback's 2. 0TDI, have lower gearing and significantly more power.

Subaru has a problem in the UK - the sole importer is International Motors who seem to have blinkers about which engines would sell well in the UK - judging by what's on sale here some wouldn't realise that Subaru has huge experience in turbo-petrol engines globally, going back a long way.

33 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Subaru has a problem in the UK - the sole importer is International Motors who seem to have blinkers about which engines would sell well in the UK - judging by what's on sale here some wouldn't realise that Subaru has huge experience in turbo-petrol engines globally, going back a long way.

Before my VAG days I was heavily involved in the Subaru community, I used to rally them, own them and run owners club events and track days. Even had a tour of prodrives test facility and a day driving round their test track testing new WRC tech.

Subaru in the UK has been virtually killed off by IM and I've seen all my local dealers go.

A shame as I really liked my Subaru's and should have kept my Prodrive Series McRae. Really starting to go up in value now.  

Mine No32 from 199

image.png.443aaabb764e2f0f23cc85c19424d1ae.png

image.png.7411cccccc696c32d68713ce92a85866.png

And Colin McRae with his own. His Dad has it now. No1 out of 199 and insured for £1 Million.

image.png.ae7e81f1a283f56022bf0499de8355cf.png

Edited by logiclee
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, logiclee said:

Before my VAG days I was heavily involved in the Subaru community, I used to rally them, own them and run owners club events and track days. Even had a tour of prodrives test facility and a day driving round their test track testing new WRC tech.

Subaru in the UK has been virtually killed off by IM and I've seen all my local dealers go.

A shame as I really liked my Subaru's and should have kept my Prodrive Series McRae. Really starting to go up in value now.  

Mine No32 from 199

image.png.443aaabb764e2f0f23cc85c19424d1ae.png

image.png.7411cccccc696c32d68713ce92a85866.png

And Colin McRae with his own. His Dad has it now. No1 out of 199 and insured for £1 Million.

image.png.ae7e81f1a283f56022bf0499de8355cf.png

Lovely cars !,.

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

I agree entirely, the dealer I used for my first Subaru dropped the brand due to IM pressuring them unduly on purchasing cars for display, I think they had to buy 1 of each model every 3 months whether they sold one or not . The model after mine increased in price massively, partly due to the yen value but also a decision, mistakenly as it turns out, to position the cars in the BMW, Mercedes& Audi market .

40 minutes ago, stevew1 said:

, mistakenly as it turns out, to position the cars in the BMW, Mercedes& Audi market .

They never were in that class. The interiors alone struggled against mainstream European models never mind the Premium Brands.  

How things have changed. I remember massive waiting lists, being able to sell 6 month old cars for a profit and Subaru topping every reliability and customer satisfaction survey.

Iconic status in the 90's

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies!

I narrowed my choice down to Skoda Superb 4x4, Passat Alltrack and Audi Allroad.

The legroom/comfort for driver and passengers is amazing on the Superb, and just OK on the others, and that swung thefinal  decision for me.

I bought a Superb and will be off to join the queue around the M25 and to the coast in it tomorrow!

Thanks again for all the advice! Happy caravanning all! :)

17 minutes ago, NobbyTucker said:

Thanks for all the replies!

I narrowed my choice down to Skoda Superb 4x4, Passat Alltrack and Audi Allroad.

The legroom/comfort for driver and passengers is amazing on the Superb, and just OK on the others, and that swung thefinal  decision for me.

I bought a Superb and will be off to join the queue around the M25 and to the coast in it tomorrow!

Thanks again for all the advice! Happy caravanning all! :)

Enjoy !

Sounds like a good choice!