Sign in to follow this  
Sparkie240

Teleco Teleplus X2/39U Directional Aerial roof seal

Prior to putting the van back in the shed for winter I always give the van a wash including the roof, while doing the roof I noticed that the roof seal for the Teleco Teleplus X2/39U Directional Aerial was showing signs of perishing with cracks round the bottom edge. I could not believe this, the van is only 10 months old 

20181006_143620.jpg

They look like dead insects to me. ...

I'd show the picture to the dealer and ask about another rubber seal, its not going to get any better...…..

5 minutes ago, Guzzilazz said:

They look like dead insects to me. ...

That;s real Midgies the killer type:P

Just now, Paul_B said:

I'd show the picture to the dealer and ask about another rubber seal, its not going to get any better. ..…..

Already have the van is is due it's first service in March, lucky the van is stored under cover over winter.

ok so i had the same,I spoke to Elddis and they put me in touch with teleco in the uk. well dont ring them as they will try every way to get out of it. so i went to dealer. and they said yes we will do that on the service for free,no worries. so they went to order it .£93 + vat. Hahah. the dealer rang me back and told me how much teleco want and said we will have to claim it back on the warranty. Well they givew the dealer all the usual excuses going. but any way dealer done it for us.

There big escape(teleco) was "you must have used abbrasive chemicals" hahaha. so i told them,when i phoned them i had it paint sealed and i only ever need to use warm clean water. They still trying to wriggle. again teleco

But any way,this is acutally only a Dust cover and not a water seal. When removed the 2 x water seals are below this(in like a cage and is a well tight fit). As i watch the dealer doing the job for my reference. No way was water getting in there anyway. But like said get the dealer to claim for it now. so they have it ready as it has to come from Italy and takes 6 weeks.

Yes 6 weeks.(but i think that is another stall from teleco to wriggle

Edited by smino0_1

1 hour ago, smino0_1 said:

ok so i had the same,I spoke to Elddis and they put me in touch with teleco in the uk. well dont ring them as they will try every way to get out of it. so i went to dealer. and they said yes we will do that on the service for free,no worries. so they went to order it .£93 + vat. Hahah. the dealer rang me back and told me how much teleco want and said we will have to claim it back on the warranty. Well they givew the dealer all the usual excuses going. but any way dealer done it for us.

There big escape(teleco) was "you must have used abbrasive chemicals" hahaha. so i told them,when i phoned them i had it paint sealed and i only ever need to use warm clean water. They still trying to wriggle. again teleco

But any way,this is acutally only a Dust cover and not a water seal. When removed the 2 x water seals are below this(in like a cage and is a well tight fit). As i watch the dealer doing the job for my reference. No way was water getting in there anyway. But like said get the dealer to claim for it now. so they have it ready as it has to come from Italy and takes 6 weeks.

Yes 6 weeks.(but i think that is another stall from teleco to wriggle

Thanks for the info, our van is coated with paint seal direct and as you said it only needs water to wash the van, I have never used caravan cleaner on any van due to any coating or polish getting stripped off. It should be down to the warranty we pay top dollar for vans now. I am going to get a plastic cone made in two half's and fit it over the seal once its replace just to protect it from the UV.

Your rubber gasket is in good condition compared to ours. Just over 3 years on the van and it is dry, cracked and perished. Clearly not up to the job. Tried to obtain a new gasket but it is factory fitted so no spare is available. The only solution is to fit a new pole section to the aerial, as advised by the Teleco UK agent, but at what cost. The dealer will shortly let me know but I want it replaced under warranty. Just outside the 3 years I know, but it must have failed sometime last year during all of the hot weather.

aerial gaiter.jpg

Ours identical failure to the photo above and also just outside 3 year warranty. Found universal  CV joint replacement in eBay for around£10 which seems to be a viable repair. Worth an attempt for that price.

Will post progress once part arrives.

The last couple of times that I have pushed the aerial up it had a strange rubbery feel to it as if a seal was damaged. Not home for another week so can’t look at it till then. Any of you feel any difference in yours?

Ian

I'm not an approved member of this group at the moment  but have the same issue, I think the CV joint is a good idea and i'm going to give it a go.

Neil