Mr Plodd

Caravan gross weight, a response from Bailey!

1 minute ago, oldboy said:

So after 29 pages of debate and hard work by Mr Plodd. why did not someone point out there was a similar thread on this subject? from the beginning.

AND the previous thread DOES most certainly contain some very pertinent information indeed. See my lengthy post above!

I reckon I have Bailey on the ropes! 

Andy

12 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

AND the previous thread DOES most certainly contain some very pertinent information indeed. See my lengthy post above!

I reckon I have Bailey on the ropes! 

Andy

You sure do, but will they give you a definitive reply? hopefully, you will get your answer from the ACPO.

25 minutes ago, oldboy said:

So after 29 pages of debate and hard work by Mr Plodd. why did not someone point out there was a similar thread on this subject? from the beginning.

I did! The sixth post in this thread on 9 November at 13. 03!

4 minutes ago, Stevan said:

I did! The sixth post in this thread on 9 November at 13. 03!

It is like the Irish parliament everyone is talking no one is listening.  :D

I like the bit from these authorities where he states"  WE have a agreed policy line " . I take it they have agreed this with European police forces when these caravans are towed abroad .

Dave

Or does he mean he personally has agreed a policy line with the DVSA enforcement policy adviser. In that case it's not really empirical, just two blokes opinion when faced with an awkward fait accompli.

31 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Or does he mean he personally has agreed a policy line with the DVSA enforcement policy adviser. In that case it's not really empirical, just two blokes opinion when faced with an awkward fait accompli.

The comment   “ and we have an agreed policy line.”   Is VERY useful for the simple reason “They”  (DVSA) will, as an organisation, adopt that policy when (if) they find a caravan they feel may be over its max weight.

What they have said is that the Statutory plate, if fitted by the manufacturer, which is now clearly common practice, shows, as far as DVSA enforcement is concerned, shows the maximum weight of the caravan AND THATS THE FIGURE THEY WILL WORK TO!

So As I see it the external decal is, as far as DVSA is concerned, for all intents and purposes simply decorative.  

HOWEVER they haven’t actually cleared up the driving licence category issue! Probably because DVSA are not interested in driving licence regs. That’s the responsibility of the Police. I will be forwarding a near identical email to ACPO (now sent) to see what their take is on it.  

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1

It seems from the start of their letter they're not happy at the industry fitting two plates and that it's a pragmatic 'agreed' policy, not one laid down in law. Presumably that would mean it would be liable to challenge if it ever reached Court. Indeed if the officer weighing a van knows that there's likely to be a statutory plate in a gas locker then they should ask to view it, rather than base judgement on what they know might be incorrect information. I mean it would be totally unfair to, say, fine someone who didn't know about the gas locker plate, but not fine someone in the same situation because they showed the officer the plate.

• Like 1