Silversurf

Check the torque on your wheels or else..........................

. ........................ this may happen :o

https://www. yorkshireeveningpost. co. uk/news/lucky-escape-after-car-hit-by-caravan-wheel-on-m62-in-lofthouse-1-9432200

Make sure you don't end up with one, or three wheels on your wagon.

Edited by Silversurf

Perhaps you need to repost without the html code

15 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Perhaps you need to repost without the html code

Tried to post the police tweet without success so did it another way. :rolleyes:

Oh boy, that driver was a very very lucky individual albeit his car is almost certainly a right-off.

I expect that there are going to be some serious questions being asked of the caravanner and possibly the caravan service engineer if there was one !!

Interesting. If the wheel came from the opposite carriageway is it fair to assume it was (one of) the right-hand wheel(s) that detached? If so, very unusual as I thought it was mainly left-hand wheels that came off. I had a right-hand front wheel detatch from a Morris Minor on the M621 years ago and it set off for the central barrier. Metal fatigue; I was left with a roughly square piece of wheel and 4 tight wheel nuts on the car.

Made a mess of the Nissan too.

No mention of make of caravan ?

Dave

I checked my car wheels this morning as I've just had new tyres fitted the other day.

Why check the torque each time? Far simpler is a small dot of paint on the side of each nut and a corresponding dot on the wheel itself. Then all that is needed is a Mk I eyeball.

• Like 1

Thinking about the caravan wheel disconnection - I wonder whether this was one of the Bailey Caravans that had escaped the recall a couple of years ago.  

I suggest this because in the last two and a half years I have experienced buying three different BMW 3 series variants that had not had the driver & passenger airbag RECALLS attended to.

I always check after having had the wheels removed, after about 50miles and again after another 50miles, the caravan has indicators fitted to the studs

• Like 1

We wrote off a six week old Coachman VIP in 2013, nearside wheel came off and nearly hit a Gendarme who was riding a motorbike in the opposite carriageway just outside Blois  in the Loire on our second day of a 46 day holiday. Thank goodness we had Red Pennant who were absolutely brilliant and did everything from booking hotels and return Ferry. also the Gendarmes were brilliant arranging a Low Loader etc.  

Now I don't leave home without a Torque Wrench and "check my nuts" after every overnight stop, a bit OTT I hear you say !! well if it ever happens to you, you will realise how scary it is, and you will "check your nuts" 

• Like 1

WSL nuts every time I change vans.   They never move!

I've bought those slip nut covers that has arrows which all point in one direction (I point them to the middle).  If the nut(s) become loose the arrow(s) will slip out of alignment.   You see them on lorries/buses, the green arrows on their wheels, usually at the front

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AWanderingLancastrian said:

Thinking about the caravan wheel disconnection - I wonder whether this was one of the Bailey Caravans that had escaped the recall a couple of years ago.  

I suggest this because in the last two and a half years I have experienced buying three different BMW 3 series variants that had not had the driver & passenger airbag RECALLS attended to.

That what I wondered about caravan make ?

Dave

1 hour ago, SamD said:

WSL nuts every time I change vans.   They never move!

Yes, WSL collard bolts massively increases the safety margins for retaining the wheels, given that even they are done up properly and checked 20 miles after a wheel is refitted.

Hmmm! Picked up a new Bailey Platinum (Phoenix) At beginning of October!

Before every trip I have been checking torque the studs. Eight are always perfect. Two need tightening every time! On the off side as well!

in the dealers on the 16th for them to check!

5 minutes ago, PR1 said:

Hmmm! Picked up a new Bailey Platinum (Phoenix) At beginning of October!

Before every trip I have been checking torque the studs. Eight are always perfect. Two need tightening every time! On the off side as well!

in the dealers on the 16th for them to check!

If it's the same 2 bolts every time I would suspect they have been over-tightened at some point, & stretched. The only cure is replacement ASAP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I check my nuts before every outing

• Haha 1

I keep a torque wrench in the caravan and check the wheel nuts before every journey, it also reminds me to check the wheel nuts on our cars.

Other than checking torques after a few miles following a wheel change, I've never checked torques in over 50 years of motoring and 30 years of caravanning and I'd be peeved if any manufacturer, whether car or caravan, would expect me to have to do more.

• Like 4

I always torque up every journey full stop, a few years ago our neighbour/friend wheel fell off a outside our house on his nearly new caravan, he only lived a few hundred metres up the road around our estate, luckily it was very low speed.

9 hours ago, Oscarmax said:

I always torque up every journey full stop, a few years ago our neighbour/friend wheel fell off a outside our house on his nearly new caravan, he only lived a few hundred metres up the road around our estate, luckily it was very low speed.

But how long is a journey? For example if you were doing 200 miles would you stop after 100 miles and torque up again? If it was 400 miles stop 3 times journey?

I'm not being critical of you but this situation is ridiculous. Why on earth have you got to keep checking the torque on wheelnuts, it doesn't happen on cars, lorries, buses and vans etc why on caravans? Caravans for years didn't shed their wheels until Bailey a few years ago started losing wheels, what changed?

It seems to me that the wheel / hub is completely unfit for purpose if wheels keep falling off without this constantly tightening routine, there is also a danger of wear and tear slackening and re tightening the wheel studs every trip.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

But how long is a journey? For example if you were doing 200 miles would you stop after 100 miles and torque up again? If it was 400 miles stop 3 times journey?

I'm not being critical of you but this situation is ridiculous. Why on earth have you got to keep checking the torque on wheelnuts, it doesn't happen on cars, lorries, buses and vans etc why on caravans? Caravans for years didn't shed their wheels until Bailey a few years ago started losing wheels, what changed?

It seems to me that the wheel / hub is completely unfit for purpose if wheels keep falling off without this constantly tightening routine, there is also a danger of wear and tear slackening and re tightening the wheel studs every trip.

I seem to remember that Bailey started to replace steel wheels with alloy wheels. There were some lengthy and heated topics at the time which lead to an increase in sales of torque wrenchs. :rolleyes: ;)

1 hour ago, DeeTee said:

I seem to remember that Bailey started to replace steel wheels with alloy wheels. There were some lengthy and heated topics at the time which lead to an increase in sales of torque wrenchs. :rolleyes: ;)

Thats how I remember it too, another example of caravanners being fobbed off IMHO and the manufacturers getting away with it again.

3 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

It seems likely to me that it is the result of having a combined hub and lightweight brake drum, which can flex and suffer temperature expansion far more than the traditional hub and separate drum.