Jockey Wheel Shaft Diameter

robhar

Does anyone know the exact diameter of the Jockey Wheel shaft. I know its 48mm but I want to replace mine with a pole over winter and can only find 48. 3mm poles at the steel stochholders.  

• I do not understand 1

VW Touareg R Line 3. 0 towing a 2021 Coachman Laser Excel 575   2023 Coachman Lusso 1

I presume he wants to know whether a 48. 3 mm diameter pole will fit in place of the jockey wheel.

I suspect 0. 3mm will not make any difference, but until he tries, he won’t know for sure.

Thats correct. I need to know if a 48. 3mm pole will fit before I spend £20 or so on a pole. Yes Alko say the shaft is 48mm but is that figure rounded down from 48. 3mm

Edited by robhar

VW Touareg R Line 3. 0 towing a 2021 Coachman Laser Excel 575   2023 Coachman Lusso 1

Perhaps they might have a small offcut that they would let you try?

43 minutes ago, robhar said:

Thats correct. I need to know if a 48. 3mm pole will fit before I spend £20 or so on a pole. Yes Alko say the shaft is 48mm but is that figure rounded down from 48. 3mm

Bearing in mind that the jockey wheel is held in position by a clamp that allows the whole unit to be initially raised and lowered, before winding down, also to allow removal of the assembly I doubt very much that using a piece of tube oversize by 0. 3 mm would cause any problems !

P. s. standard galvanised scaffolding pole is 48. 3 mm ext dia.

I'm sure someone on a building site or even a local small scaffold company would let you have a short piece for a couple of beer tokens. :rolleyes:

Have you any friends who work on building sites etc. ;)

• Like 1

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Just nipped into the garage and miked up one I had in the scrap bin.

Measurements are nominally 48. 3 mm ( 0. 3 mm is about the thickness of a business card )

Had a wander up and down it with the callipers and the measurements, circumferentially, at different spots, vary from the nominal to 49. 86 mm, to 44. 02 mm, obviously where in the past it has been clamped by someone swing on the threaded clamp lever wit the thought in mind, ' this won't come loose' !

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Just measured an old Alko jockey wheel shaft and it is exactly 48mm.

However, when adjusting the jockey wheel on the caravan there is a fair amount of clearance when moving it up and down.  

I suspect that a 48. 3mm shaft would fit ok.

Willerby Avonmore previous kit VW Splitty Camper,Ford Transit Camper, Commer Highwayman, Sprite Alpine Caravan, Rapids Export Folding Caravan, Fiat Autosleeper Harmony, Ci Granduca Motorhome, McLouis Glen 432 Motorhome, American RV Trail-Lite twin slide outs 8.2ltr petrol/lpg, Lunar Solaris Limited Edition Caravan.

0. 3mm is insignificant. Without a decent clearance when the JW handle is released, it would be hard to move the JW at all.

On 06/11/2018 at 11:39, robhar said:

Does anyone know the exact diameter of the Jockey Wheel shaft. I know its 48mm but I want to replace mine with a pole over winter and can only find 48. 3mm poles at the steel stochholders.  

If you had a side mounted jockey wheel I would have no hesitation in saying that a 48.3mm dia pole would fit. Your Lunar Clubman SE has the jockey wheel mounted through the A-frame so the diameter may  be more critical, although I doubt if 0.3mm would prove to be a problem.

Gordon

Can I ask why you would replace the jockey wheel with a pole and not just leave your corner steadied down? I ask because I have never done this and wonder if I am missing something.

44 minutes ago, jampot said:

'corner steadies' are just that - steadies, and not (generally) intended to support the weight of the van?

Indeed, two ( or four) wheels and jockey wheel are the recommended points of  load bearing contact.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

1 hour ago, jampot said:

Surely, 'corner steadies' are just that - steadies, and not (generally) intended to support the weight of the van?

There are exceptions of course.

JIm

Popular misconception!

Steadies are rated at about 500kg's each but they don't "support the weight of the caravan" the axle does.

All the steadies do is support the extremities preventing the caravan pivoting around the fulcrum the axle creates.

The only caveat is that the weight the steadies can support is determined by what they themselves are attached to, usually the sandwich construction floor, hence the note to never jack up the caravan using them.

15 hours ago, MBDriver said:

Can I ask why you would replace the jockey wheel with a pole and not just leave your corner steadied down? I ask because I have never done this and wonder if I am missing something.

I am doing this to mount a solar panel to keep the battery charged up over winter. I have a 40w panel from Photonic Universe which I mounted under a rooflight last year but it was not very successful as the sun is so low in the sky up here in Cumbria. My plan is to mount the panel vertically on a 2. 3 metre long pole where the jockey wheel goes . I have a prototype already fitted using a 40mm wooden tree stake but it will be too easy to steal so want to replace the wooden pole with a steel one and put a padlock through the base to stop it being lifted out.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, robhar said:

I am doing this to mount a solar panel to keep the battery charged up over winter. I have a 40w panel from Photonic Universe which I mounted under a rooflight last year but it was not very successful as the sun is so low in the sky up here in Cumbria. My plan is to mount the panel vertically on a 2. 3 metre long pole where the jockey wheel goes . I have a prototype already fitted using a 40mm wooden tree stake but it will be too easy to steal so want to replace the wooden pole with a steel one and put a padlock through the base to stop it being lifted out.

I have seen purpose made poles like this, for mounting TV aerials, on sale in caravan accessory shops. Whether the pole is steel, wood or aluminium will not alter the fact that a thief who is "going equipped" can make off with it.

If you want to deter thieves mount the panel properly on the roof.

On 08/11/2018 at 10:25, robhar said:

Could you not mount the solar panel in the front window?

10 hours ago, MBDriver said:

It depends on the window, I tried 2x20w panels in the front window facing south and didn't get a reading, I did in the rooflight but it wasn't much.  What the OP intends on doing by fitting onto a pole is a good way of doing it if he considers it safe.

I fitted a 50w to the roof and another 40w the following year as the 50w wasn't up to it, I now keep an eye on the reading and will stick the mains on if I have to.

If I was to do it again I'd fit a 150w panel for over winter battery maintenance.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

On 06/11/2018 at 11:39, robhar said:

I'm sure that a scaffolder would sell you a short length of pole for next to nothing and then you could give it a trial.  Please let us know if it works as others may well find this idea useful.  Good luck!

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

13 hours ago, MBDriver said:

Mounting a panel behind any material such as glass or whatever reduces its efficiency greatly. ..

• 4 weeks later...

Just to finish off this topic, I can confirm that standard scaffolding pole with a diameter of 48. 3mm does go through the hole in the A frame to replace the jockey wheel.

• Like 1

Was on a pitch some time ago and a small transit style moho had a solar panel fitted to the back of his roof mounted satellite dish. he then turned the dish to keep it in line and direction of the sun. Ok you cannot do that whilst in storage. but i did think it was a good idea.

65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

A friend of mine thought it a good idea to fasten his wind turbine to a scaffolding pole in the jokey wheel housing :lol:

I think it sent bad vibes :ph34r:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Seen a couple like that Paul but no vibration problems.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530