Sign in to follow this  
stevew1

Brittany ferries worried

5 minutes ago, Odd days said:

All politicians lie, I don’t believe even you believe what any of them say is the truth.  

I was thinking more of press lies, and people do take notice of those.

8 minutes ago, Odd days said:

It’s had a long time to change and if you’re not seeing or think there is much hope for you in something you give up.

For all sorts of reason, the UK never took EU elections seriously and even elected a fair number who only went there to pick up a salary or were determined to destroy the institution, so it's hardly surprising they didn't try for change.

9 minutes ago, Odd days said:

No point flogging a dead horse.

With the alternative of 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulthomas said:

. ....and my Aunt Fanny's my uncle.   :)

Not sure if Transgenderism will be allowed after B++++t . 😜🥺😎😎😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So not much choice then roll over and just keep taking it or cut your nose off. Not a great situation to be in then.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrankBullet said:

I think there’s a difference between being able to see roughly which direction the winding path takes and walking down the same path with a blindfold on, not knowing if to the side it’s a slightly rougher path (painted to look like milk and honey) or a 300 foot drop into a Crocodile Pit.

That's your interpretation of the wholly insufficient information available, and is the basis of your "act of faith".

Others have different interpretations of The same wholly insufficient information.  

4 minutes ago, Odd days said:

So not much choice then roll over and just keep taking it or cut your nose off. Not a great situation to be in then.  

Or elect effective MP's and MEP's who think more about the country than their parties or themselves.

1 minute ago, Lost in France said:

Or elect effective MP's and MEP's who think more about the country than their parties or themselves.

But how can we do that when we have no faith in their ability to do what they promise, or even that they will try?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lost in France said:

We will never agree. You have obviously done very well out of the EU and good luck to you. Others have not done quite so well and there is the problem and the people doing ok are none to bothered about those that are not doing so well. Which is why we have a me me me society and people really don’t care about others anymore. That’s from the top to the bottom.

23 minutes ago, Stevan said:

That's your interpretation of the wholly insufficient information available, and is the basis of your "act of faith".

Others have different interpretations of The same wholly insufficient information.  

Not really, it’s based on track history, understanding Britain’s veto’s and having a reasonable understanding of economics.

7 minutes ago, Odd days said:

We will never agree. You have obviously done very well out of the EU and good luck to you. Others have not done quite so well and there is the problem and the people doing ok are none to bothered about those that are not doing so well. Which is why we have a me me me society and people really don’t care about others anymore. That’s from the top to the bottom.

Actually, a chunk of that is the lack of realisation how well people have done out of the EU over the years - one thing they aren’t very good at is PR where as those that ‘blame’ the EU seem to be more accomplished in that respect

46 minutes ago, Odd days said:

People based it on their circumstances not what politicians say because the only thing they are interested in is themselves end of.

Sadly, I tend to agree.

Edited by FrankBullet
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lost in France said:

If you read the links,  only 30% of French tourism is from outside of France of which the UK represents about a 7th (11. 9 million out of 82 million.

If all tourism from the UK stopped it would hurt the total French economy to the tune of about 7 BN €, whereas Brexit has already cost the UK 'public purse' (tax revenue) £10BN (https://www. ft. com/content/e3b29230-db5f-11e7-a039-c64b1c09b482)

So my guesstimate, based on your figures, was a  forecast of a 10 billion euro loss to the French economy.  You think 7 billion.  Either way I strongly disagree that this is an insignificant amount even to a nation.  And particularly not to the tourism sector of that nation.

I fail to see how the cost of brexit has any relevance to the cost to France in this respect.

Personally I feel that deal or no deal some common sense will prevail and tourism to France and the rest of Europe from the UK will continue.  However there may be some inconvenience and raised cost.  Therefore the eventual impact on the French economy will be small.  Brittany Ferries May be fearing a blip but must have a lot of confidence making large investments in the future.

John

16 minutes ago, Odd days said:

We will never agree. You have obviously done very well out of the EU and good luck to you.

The only thing my family and I have done well out of is the freedom to live, work and study on the same terms as nationals of these countries, in 27 other countries, something that will be taken away next April.

17 minutes ago, Odd days said:

Others have not done quite so well

EXACTLY who?

17 minutes ago, Odd days said:

there is the problem and the people doing ok are none to bothered about those that are not doing so well. Which is why we have a me me me society and people really don’t care about others anymore. That’s from the top to the bottom.

There we do agree but I don't think that has anything to do with the EU, can you explain EXACTLY why you think it does?

4 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

I fail to see how the cost of brexit has any relevance to the cost to France in this respect.

I included that figure as a comparison for what Brexit has already cost the UK against what it would cost the French economy if ALL tourism from the UK stopped.

5 minutes ago, JCloughie said:

Personally I feel that deal or no deal some common sense will prevail and tourism to France and the rest of Europe from the UK will continue.  

I would like to think so but there doesn't seem to be much common sense in SW1A at the moment, too much in-fighting for that.

• Like 1

If you are in an industry swamped with cheaper EE labour you might feel different. Do I feel sorry for your family not going to school in 27 different countries no, just like nobody feels sorry for me working for less as there is an abundance of cheap EE labour. We will never agree, and that’s all I have to say. Cheers.

• Like 1

All I can say is, at this very moment everything is speculations and assumptions. it is right that the government and industries have got to prepare for the worst scenario and as for the media doom headline keep them in business they will never tell you what is actually going on because they, themselves won't know because they don't sit around the negotiating table and any information they receive will always turn into what they think people will react to. Now is there anything more to discuss about Brittany ferry's worry? 

45 minutes ago, Odd days said:

If you are in an industry swamped with cheaper EE labour you might feel different. Do I feel sorry for your family not going to school in 27 different countries no, just like nobody feels sorry for me working for less as there is an abundance of cheap EE labour. We will never agree, and that’s all I have to say. Cheers.

There is minimum wage legislation. It covers foreign and UK workers. Don't blame the EU if breaches aren't prosecuted.

If people want to earn more than the minimum wage then they need to get better qualifications and/or move.

Blaming the EU is the lazy way out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, alan29 said:

There is minimum wage legislation. It covers foreign and UK workers. Don't blame the EU if breaches aren't prosecuted.

If people want to earn more than the minimum wage then they need to get better qualifications and/or move.

Blaming the EU is the lazy way out.

I'm not a Brexit supporter (as if that needed pointing out), but it's not quite as simple as that.

Free Movement has negatively impacted wages in some sectors. I think Odd Days works in haulage? That's certainly a sector where UK workers report that they are undercut by Eastern European drivers who are prepared to work for less. I assume that everyone is getting more than minimum wage but that doesn't mean that wages can't have fallen.

In most other sectors (health, agriculture, building, plumbing, etc) free movement seems to have filled gaps in our high employment economy.

Agree with that, there are areas where wages have been suppressed, I know a few welders in the North East who’ve been taking pay cuts to compete with highly skilled Eastern European labour, but that probably has more to do with UK business and it’s approach to employment in a number of sectors - the effect is the growth of cheaper migrant labour but that’s not the cause.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lost in France said:

Maybe we need more Trump like people in parliament?

• Haha 2

Throw years of  "austerity"(which I believe was needed but it hit the wrong people, with the well off relatively unscathed) into the mix and I think quite a few people who saw their wages stagnating decided to kick the EU.

Wrong target!

The EU has minimal influence on member states' economies, unless they breach the rules of the ECB- which they signed up to.

It had even less negative influence, if any, on the UK's economic policies (other than to deliver a booming export market, without which our trade balance would be even worse) as we are outside the Eurozone.

Sadly, those who voted to leave because of feeling left behind are the very ones who will suffer most from leaving the EU. The well off will be fine.

Edited by paulthomas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

As the topic has clearly digressed from a discussion on ferries it is now closed.

• Thanks 1