Sign in to follow this  
GMC

Swift 565 2016MY - floor failure - what would you do??

'Evening all,

My 'van went in earlier this week for the 3-year service and a few warranty items.   The (supplying) dealer has just called to say that they have found rippling of the underside of the floor at the front end and Swift will need to take it back to the factory for repair.   It has been described by the dealer as 'a failure of the bonding' and it is the second one this week they have found.   It was purchased new and I took delivery in January 2016.   (The main extras are Alde heating, ATC, Al-Ko wheel lock, Tyrons and Paintseal.)  To say I'm cross is probably the understatement of the year. ...

Never in 27 years having been in the position of needing a factory repair, I'm obviously considering the the options, one of which might be to replace the 'van and have done with it.   (In that event, do I really want another Swift after this?  Even if I do, I think it unlikely that I will be entitled to expect any kind of contribution to the gap between the cost of a new one and its current trade-in value.)

Even if it is factory-repaired, will it ever be the same again, or am I about to become embroiled in a lot of hassle if the repair and reassembly work is less than 100%?  Current thinking is that the upper body will be separated from the floor, lifted for the floor to be replaced,and then reattached to it.   This is major work and I am extremely nervous about the effect of this.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has experienced a major factory repair with Swift, and how this went.

The other problem is that the earliest dates currently being offered by Swift are said to be in March next year - which is of course right at the start of the season for me.   My dealer says that it could be at the factory for either side of 6 weeks.   If I do go along with the repair option, I would be looking to delay its return to the factory until at least late October or early November 2019, bearing in mind that the bonding failure ought not to be a safety matter and therefore it should not prevent its continued use until then.   At least that way we would lose little or nothing of the 2019 season.

Additionally, it is surprising to be told that both tyres will be replaced under warranty due to cracking, though at the moment Swift are refusing to replace the o/s/r light cluster (LEDs) which was full of condensation until recently and which has thrown up defect warnings on the dash in the last 2-3 months - presumably I have to wait until it fails, stranding me somewhere, and then call out Mayday to get us home.  

I await with interest any observations and/or experiences of this kind of situation.

Thanks.

PS  I have searched for any similar posts but no joy so far.

I understand that caravans having been returned to the factory have been rebuilt to a very good standard, including the rectification of unrelated issues found at the time. It seems Swift have a dedicated rebuild section to undertake these jobs.

Swift factory repairs are very good, my Sterling came back better than I expected with some non warranty work  done foc!

Those that have had Swift factory repairs all seem to report back with a common theme that the standard of work is excellent. Some even say it came back better than when it was new with faults addressed that they didn't know existed. You have nothing to worry about.

Our caravan went back to the factory at two years old. It is now just over five years old and we have a far better van. The whole van was checked over and a list of jobs done was quite impressive. Even things done which were not giving any problem. In fact I feel we now have such a good caravan we are hanging on to it. When caravans go back the work is done by skilled workers taking time to do the job properly,unlike production lines where speed is of the essence

• Like 2

Our Sterling Continental goes back to Swift in two weeks time for a new floor. We have kept this van for longer than any previous van because we can't find one we like better.

No other niggles with the van now I have rewired the light switches to be 'logical' and installed an extra light over the front chest so you can actually see what is in front of you! The stupid small bathroom sink is a design fault and we have learned to live with it.

We too read of the good state that warranty work vans return in. My only concern is whether the floor issues have been ironed out or if we will have the same issues again in another 3 years. I guess this will be a topic of conversation when we deliver the van to Cottingham.

Cheers

Keith

Ours is at the factory at the moment. Sounds like the same problem, the walls are no longer properly attached to the floor at the front of the van. The effect is that the front of the van appears to "nod".

Firstly, if it is the same problem, I wouldn't want to hang around and use it for too long. We very nearly cancelled our summer holiday as we discovered the problem just before we left. We were advised by a Caravan repairer that it should be ok but they nearly took that advice back when we said we were going to Austria, not Scarborough.   I can tell you that I felt every bump on the autobahn!

We took ours into our nearest dealer in late September and Swift took it off to Cottingham. They were supposed have fixed it this week (who knows why they want it cluttering up the factory site) but that's now been put back til mid November. We will be demanding a loan van if it slips any further.

I've been in touch with others on Facebook who have had the repair and responses have been positive. One person has just got theirs back, it's been bonded and screwed with a new front shelf (inside) and stronger supports for the drawer unit (ours sags a little). They also fixed his wardrobe door.

Ours also needs the back panel doing at some point so I am hoping Swift do that rather than our dealer. We already had the new tyres though that was a battle, the dealer said they were out of warranty but Swift sent four new ones (it's only a single axle!).

The van is a 2016 dealer special. We really like it but this has knocked our confidence in the product. So far, Swift themselves have been fairly positive (apart from building it in the first place).

My thoughts are to wait and see what the repair is like. I don't see any problem in trading it in if we have any doubts but I hope that won't be the case (well actually, I'd like an excuse for a new van but we can't really afford one!)

Edited by svimes
  • Like 1

On 01/11/2018 at 18:06, GMC said:

'Evening all,

My 'van went in earlier this week for the 3-year service and a few warranty items.   The (supplying) dealer has just called to say that they have found rippling of the underside of the floor at the front end and Swift will need to take it back to the factory for repair.   It has been described by the dealer as 'a failure of the bonding' and it is the second one this week they have found.   It was purchased new and I took delivery in January 2016.   (The main extras are Alde heating, ATC, Al-Ko wheel lock, Tyrons and Paintseal.)  To say I'm cross is probably the understatement of the year. ...

Never in 27 years having been in the position of needing a factory repair, I'm obviously considering the the options, one of which might be to replace the 'van and have done with it.   (In that event, do I really want another Swift after this?  Even if I do, I think it unlikely that I will be entitled to expect any kind of contribution to the gap between the cost of a new one and its current trade-in value.)

Even if it is factory-repaired, will it ever be the same again, or am I about to become embroiled in a lot of hassle if the repair and reassembly work is less than 100%?  Current thinking is that the upper body will be separated from the floor, lifted for the floor to be replaced,and then reattached to it.   This is major work and I am extremely nervous about the effect of this.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has experienced a major factory repair with Swift, and how this went.

The other problem is that the earliest dates currently being offered by Swift are said to be in March next year - which is of course right at the start of the season for me.   My dealer says that it could be at the factory for either side of 6 weeks.   If I do go along with the repair option, I would be looking to delay its return to the factory until at least late October or early November 2019, bearing in mind that the bonding failure ought not to be a safety matter and therefore it should not prevent its continued use until then.   At least that way we would lose little or nothing of the 2019 season.

Additionally, it is surprising to be told that both tyres will be replaced under warranty due to cracking, though at the moment Swift are refusing to replace the o/s/r light cluster (LEDs) which was full of condensation until recently and which has thrown up defect warnings on the dash in the last 2-3 months - presumably I have to wait until it fails, stranding me somewhere, and then call out Mayday to get us home.  

I await with interest any observations and/or experiences of this kind of situation.

Thanks.

PS  I have searched for any similar posts but no joy so far.

Personally I'd get rid of it . . the defect won't affect your trade in price if it's covered by manufactures warranty,  though the down side is pushing you earlier to change the caravan & you'll have to exchange for another Swift or a Swift dealer that sells other branded caravans.

Floors have been delaminating ever since sandwich floors were introduced, 30 years ago the fix was to drill holes in the floor from underneath but not through the plywood top layer, then resin was injected in and weights placed on the floor. A similar method would be used if it is the underneath but a pad and jack used. This was a permanent repair and if this is still the method used things may not be as bad as you think.

Edited by solarpower

1 hour ago, solarpower said:

Floors have been delaminating ever since sandwich floors were introduced, 30 years ago the fix was to drill holes in the floor from underneath but not through the plywood top layer, then resin was injected in and weights placed on the floor. A similar method would be used if it is the underneath but a pad and jack used. This was a permanent repair and if this is still the method used things may not be as bad as you think.

It's the other way round, I've done a few and had the headaches after.

In the main, the de-lamination is between the top and bottom sheets of ply and the foam core, however if it's left unattended or has been subject to water damage as well the individual layers of ply, can also de-laminate, favourite spots, at the sink, at the door, at the toilet in other words the areas of most use.

You need a pile of  short dowels, slightly less than the floor thickness, that are a nice tight fit in the holes, the correct dia drill bit marked so that it wont penetrate the lower layer of ply, resin and hardener, mixing bowls, gloves, syringes, solvent,  boards and jacks to cover the underside of the area you are working on, boards to cover top area you are working on, some heavy weights, I used paving stones some thick poly sheet, some grease and a face mask.

The way I always did it was  to drill a series of  holes  the size  advised and on a grid pattern specified by the resin supplier then hoover the holes out.

Under the van place the board supported by jacks and jack up the board till it only just touches the floor.

Cut a sheet of the polythene to fit the area you are working in plus a couple of inches extra on all sides, lightly grease one side then fold it in half, grease side in.

Mix sufficient resin to make sure you will be able to use it before it starts to cure, not forgetting that the resin will cure quicker on a hot day, you can always mix more.

Fill a syringe then, according to instructions inject it in one hole then, as it just appears in adjacent holes move on to an empty hole, continue till all the holes are filled, just to the top or slightly under,  gently jack the floor up till the underside is about level with the rest of the floor, a bit of resin may ooze out of the holes which is no problem.

Hammer a dowel into each hole flush with the floor, cover with the poly sheet grease side down and apply the weights, then leave to cure.

Next day, remove the weights and poly sheet, remove the jacks and lower board.

You should be left with a reasonably flat surface but will in most cases need to sand it smooth, after wiping the grease off.

Based on experience.

The delay for the repair is a thorough pain. (Try compensation claim)

However, it is really done to a high standard and they will go through your 'van with a fine tooth comb.  

Ours was returned in "as new" condition with extra, unrequested, work done too.

There will certainly be no need to get rid after the work has been done.

Nuisance? Yes

End of world? No.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for their replies.   I feel somewhat reassured by several references to their repair standards, just a shame that the same thorough standards did not seem to apply at the time of manufacture. ..

To their credit, Swift contacted me by phone the next day and a date for the work was agreed in late October 2019, so that we should not lose any of next year's season.

• Like 2

Hi, I really don't think it can be a Swift assembly fault. I doubt very much that they manufacture the sandwich board used in the floor? This type of product is subject to delaminating from time to time . Maybe they should think of another supplier?

50 minutes ago, James Donald said:

I doubt very much that they manufacture the sandwich board used in the floor? This type of product is subject to delaminating from time to time

I believe that Elddis are the only UK caravan builder that makes its own floor panels, I am told that the remainder of the makers purchase from one of two suppliers,

geoff 

my swift major 2017  major eb has just had its 2nd service and had to have reapair work to the front floor to walls where it has broken away at the edges has any body else had this problem this caravan is just two years old with less than two thousand miles very,very disapointed.

9 minutes ago, allan robson said:

my swift major 2017  major eb has just had its 2nd service and had to have reapair work to the front floor to walls where it has broken away at the edges has any body else had this problem this caravan is just two years old with less than two thousand miles very,very disapointed.

Yes, this happened to us on a 2016 van. It went back to Swift to be fixed at two years old. 

Hi was the repair succesful my dealer has carried out the work and it just looks like they have injected glue into the cracks

1 hour ago, allan robson said:

they have injected glue into the cracks

That is what they do, usually with a one shot adhesive...or at least they did on mine some time back.....

Google floor delamination and you will see some Youtubes of what can/is done.

geoff

2 hours ago, allan robson said:

Hi was the repair succesful my dealer has carried out the work and it just looks like they have injected glue into the cracks

Your problem sounds like a fairly simple delamination, although I'm not sure about the cracks that you mention - are they cracks between the floor layers?

I mistook your description for the problem we had, which was where the wall and floors became detached from each other (there's a fuller post from me much further up this page).

hi everybody just to clarify this fault it is not de-lamination it is where the floor at the front of the van has broken away from the wall where it joins  the repair was done by my dealer with a kit and dvd from swift, it was broken on both sides forward from the wheel arches and it appears the repair consists of a resin type glue and 2 small alloy plates either side the repair, at my dealer took 3 days to carry out .we have now used the van for a long weekend and to be fair the floor seems ok hope this helps i also contacted swift customer care and they are aware of this problem i hope this helps.

Instructions by a dvd ! Sounds like diy following someone on u tube. 

2 hours ago, allan robson said:

hi everybody just to clarify this fault it is not de-lamination it is where the floor at the front of the van has broken away from the wall where it joins  the repair was done by my dealer with a kit and dvd from swift, it was broken on both sides forward from the wheel arches and it appears the repair consists of a resin type glue and 2 small alloy plates either side the repair, at my dealer took 3 days to carry out .we have now used the van for a long weekend and to be fair the floor seems ok hope this helps i also contacted swift customer care and they are aware of this problem i hope this helps.

That's the same issue we had.

Swift repaired it at the factory (the repair sounds like what you describe but also some bigger screws). So far so good.

Doesn't it beg the question as to why Swift have a dedicated repair dept for such faults as these? Surely better production inspection and quality control - and yea, even better quality products at the outset - would obviate the need for such repairs?

Having said that Swift are not the only ones with build quality issues. How Bailey can deliver a new van with a bathroom door warped by over a cm beats me!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

Doesn't it beg the question as to why Swift have a dedicated repair dept for such faults as these? 

I don't think they do. But they do expect vans back to the factory for a range of issues, which is kind of the same thing.

They blamed ours on the wrong fixings being used at build, it wasn't clear whether that was poor design or QC. However as it's a 2016 van and it still seems to be happening, that IS worrying

My 2016 Elegance is back at the factory now.  The floor in front of the sink seemed to be sinking. Took it to the Dealer for its 3 year service and they took pictures and sent them to Swift.  Swift got in touch and advised that the fix would be back at the factory and would take 6 weeks.

I love the layout of the van and this is a real disappointment.  Lets hope it’s fixed when it comes back,  I’ve had it from new and it’s otherwise immaculate.