Sign in to follow this  
dtg

Car electrics

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this problem, connected 12n plug to van yesterday to find that there was no power at all, lights indicators nothing, checked the bypass relay and there is no 12v power going in, followed the 12v feed through the car and find that it has been connected into the main wiring loom under trim drivers side, now I suppose a fuse has gone somewhere but where the connection to the red wire in the loom is made it is dead, obviously the red wire must feed something else but can't find anything else that is not working, with such a cluster of wire how would I know what fuse to check, also ESP light in illuminated on dash not sure if that is significant, car is Kia, any thoughts?

Sounds like the fuse has blown, often feeds are taken from the power sockets in th eboot area (not sure if the Kia has them. Check see if theyre still working.

The towbar on my Kia was fitted as part of the purchase agreement, but I have a copy of the fitting instructions for the towbar and the dedicated electrical kit.

The 12v pickup is a fuse connection in the main fuse box below the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel.

The lead is identified by having a cable coming from the fuse body rather than being integral at the back of the fuse box.

Dont know whether yours will be the same, but perhaps worth checking.

Edited by hp100425ev

If it's connected into the vehicles wiring check the vehicles fuse box and around the battery itself for inline fuses .

Dave

OP quotes "no power at all, lights indicators nothing,"

Possibly disconnected earth ??

Atty

The feed is taken from the wiring loom via a scotchlock type connection but it is dead, there are 2inline fuses in the boot for the delays but the power is not reaching them, I suppose I will have to remove every single fuse one at a time and check

21 minutes ago, Atty said:

OP quotes "no power at all, lights indicators nothing,"

Possibly disconnected earth ??

Atty

Agreed, unless all the related primary fuses are blown.  

I certainly would be concentrating on the earthing.

Look in the handbook and identify the fuse covering the ESP control unit, if the ESP light is on, this will almost certainly be a fault at the unit i. e. no power. It could be the bypass relay has been fed from this same supply.

Nick

1 hour ago, JTQ said:

Agreed, unless all the related primary fuses are blown.  

I certainly would be concentrating on the earthing.

If it was earthing you would get some backfeeding via other circuits and strange light behaviour at the back. The OP said there isnt any power at the relay board.

3 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

The towbar on my Kia was fitted as part of the purchase agreement, but I have a copy of the fitting instructions for the towbar and the dedicated electrical kit.

The 12v pickup is a fuse connection in the main fuse box below the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel.

The lead is identified by having a cable coming from the fuse body rather than being integral at the back of the fuse box.

Dont know whether yours will be the same, but perhaps worth checking.

The feed has definitely been taken from a red wire in the loom but I cannot find what the red wire is a feed for because everything else seems to be working fine as far as I can see

Unbelievable. just laziness on the part of the fitter. Scotchlocks are the root of many electrical faults so I'd start there. Then check the fuses for ESP. Finally run the wire from the smart relay up to the fusebox and terminate it properly with an in line fuse holder and the correct rate fuse. Its probably the switched 12v feed.

19 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

Unbelievable. just laziness on the part of the fitter. Scotchlocks are the root of many electrical faults so I'd start there. Then check the fuses for ESP. Finally run the wire from the smart relay up to the fusebox and terminate it properly with an in line fuse holder and the correct rate fuse. Its probably the switched 12v feed.

Switched 12v feed wouldnt be good, it would mean lights would be off when the ignition is off and you may wish to leave sidelights / parking lights on.

If its a permanent 12v feed then it should go direct to the battery via a fuse.

8 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

If its a permanent 12v feed then it should go direct to the battery via a fuse.

Not necessarily there are some cars that have some accessories working on a constant feed, my Touareg had two sockets in the boot, one ignition controlled, one permanent feed which wasn't direct to the battery.

Should be a permanent feed to the relay or the caravan lights would not work unless the ignition is on .

As said no lights at all would point to 12v feed to the relay in the boot .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

2 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Should be a permanent feed to the relay or the caravan lights would not work unless the ignition is on .

As said no lights at all would point to 12v feed to the relay in the boot .

Dave

Which is exactly what the OP stated in the first post! "checked the bypass relay and there is no 12v power going in"

Hi all, have sorted the problem and thanks for all the input, the problem was a blown fuse in the main fusebox and for some unknown reason the feed was taken from the live wire that feeds the brake lights which is a permanent live even when the ignition is off, so for some time and not knowing I had no stop lights, the ECS light was another problem but not associated with the lights, thanks again

Dave

15 minutes ago, dtg said:

Hi all, have sorted the problem and thanks for all the input, the problem was a blown fuse in the main fusebox and for some unknown reason the feed was taken from the live wire that feeds the brake lights which is a permanent live even when the ignition is off, so for some time and not knowing I had no stop lights, the ECS light was another problem but not associated with the lights, thanks again

Dave

Thanks for the update, you may need to consider increasing the fuse size (cable consideration first), you've effectively gone from 2 x 21w with the car solo to potentially 4x21w brake lights, 4x5w side lights + indicator averages at 10. 5 w so the current draw on that circuit could reach 10amps average, what size fuse was it? the surge into cold bulbs could also take it close to it's limit.

Dependent on what you find on fuse rating / fuse size, it may be worth considering taking a feed from elsewhere.

Edited by AJGalaxy2012

18 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Thanks for the update, you may need to consider increasing the fuse size (cable consideration first), you've effectively gone from 2 x 21w with the car solo to potentially 4x21w brake lights, 4x5w side lights + indicator averages at 10. 5 w so the current draw on that circuit could reach 10amps average, what size fuse was it? the surge into cold bulbs could also take it close to it's limit.

Dependent on what you find on fuse rating / fuse size, it may be worth considering taking a feed from elsewhere.

It was a 10amp fuse, hardly man enough like you say, will not be using the van for a while so will definitely find a better feed, thanks again

Dave

40 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

+ Fog lights and Reversing lights ?

On 30/10/2018 at 18:43, dtg said:

The feed is taken from the wiring loom via a scotchlock type connection but it is dead, there are 2inline fuses in the boot for the delays but the power is not reaching them, I suppose I will have to remove every single fuse one at a time and check

Hmmm! No respectable electrician will use scotchloc  connectors, and if its been taken straight from a life feed in the wiring loom then its overloaded the fuse for that live. I would strongly suggest you take a new fused feed straight from the battery.

• Like 2