Swift Conqueror 560 2016 panorama window leaking

MarlonOnTour

Hi all,

the front panorama window of my Swift Conqueror 560 2016 model started to leak when it is raining.   Since I'm the second owner of this caravan and the first one missed the yearly check up, the Swift group refuses to fix this issue within the "10 year warranty". So it's not a warranty but more like a "every year we fix all leaks for 10 years and then you are screwed" :blink:

It's quite frustrating since besides the newly discovered leak, I've had a lot of issues with the caravan: The veneer was constantly falling off and I had to glue it back on. I'm a Software Engineer myself and was exited about their Swift Command App and the possibility to control the caravan remotely with an app. Then I've discovered that their API was not secured at all! So everyone could access the data of ALL other Swift caravan owners personal data, including their GPS location and could also remote control those caravans. I was in shock about the lack of basic data protection and immediately contacted them to get this fixed. And now the caravan is standing here with a leaking window and they refuse to help in any way. :(

Therefore I need to fix it myself. Could anyone point me to instructions how this panorama window is removed, to I can seal it up again? Is it screwed or glued in? Do I need to remove the whole interior paneling in order to get access to the window? Since it my first caravan any advice is highly appreciated.

A video of the leak can be found here: https://youtu. be/IQJOUwSpLds

Swift Conqueror 560 2016 panorama window leaking.jpg

Edited by MarlonOnTour

Hi and welcome,

Have a look at Flying Grandad’s post here, I’m sure he’ll have all your answers, his pictures show how the roof is bonded too 😉

You may also find SwiftTalk helpful. Worth joining if you have not already.

I am interested in your security observations re Command, can you expand a little? 

Cheers, Martin

Did you not check when you bought the caravan that the annual services had been carried out within timescales and that the warranty was intact?

You can’t blame the manufacturer for refusing to help if the warranty has been invalidated, allbeit not by you.

Regardless of service history and warranty the Consumer Rights Act (CRA) would expect goods such as your caravan to perform as expected for more than a couple of years.

Forget the warranty and pursue the dealer under the CRA, send them a letter stating what is wrong, what you want them to do about it, and the consequences if they fail in their duty under your rights as laid down in the CRA 2015.

Make sure you state the timescale you are prepared to wait before you take the next steps. 

Have look at the Which website, just search Consumer Rights Act, it is near the top. 

Hi MartinJB,

thanks so much for pointing out Flying Grandad post. This is a great help!

On 28/10/2018 at 17:24, MartinJB said:

> I am interested in your security observations re Command, can you expand a little?

The Swift Command app and website were using an API that did not verify that the user sending and reading commands was the owner of the caravan. So everyone could simply change the ID of the caravan to any other to have the same access as the actual owner. An attacker could simply loop over all IDs to steal personal data or even worse remote control any caravan using Swift Command. I couln't believe that nowadays a company does not care to protect personal data of it's customers. At leased they fixed it a couple of weeks after I've reported the issue.

15 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Regardless of service history and warranty the Consumer Rights Act (CRA) would expect goods such as your caravan to perform as expected for more than a couple of years.

Forget the warranty and pursue the dealer under the CRA, send them a letter stating what is wrong, what you want them to do about it, and the consequences if they fail in their duty under your rights as laid down in the CRA 2015.

Make sure you state the timescale you are prepared to wait before you take the next steps.  

Have look at the Which website, just search Consumer Rights Act, it is near the top.  

Hi Grandpa Steve,

thanks for pointing this out. Do you know if this also applies for non UK citizens?

54 minutes ago, MarlonOnTour said:

The Swift Command app and website were using an API that did not verify that the user sending and reading commands was the owner of the caravan. So everyone could simply change the ID of the caravan to any other to have the same access as the actual owner. An attacker could simply loop over all IDs to steal personal data or even worse remote control any caravan using Swift Command. I couln't believe that nowadays a company does not care to protect personal data of it's customers. At leased they fixed it a couple of weeks after I've reported the issue.

Thanks and glad they plugged that gap!!

Cheers, Martin

• 1 year later...

A QUICK FIX SOLUTION? Hi. Both my mate and myself have had the same problem with the leaking panoramic window, so seems a common problem. He had his fixed under warranty. They told him that they would have to replace the window and remedial work would have cost around £1650!! When he collected it he said to me that it looked like they had fitted an update gasket along the top of the window. I looked on line but could not find any such gasket available. On closer inspection it seems they have just put a line of black sealer along the top of the window which really does look like a gasket when dry. I searched online and found  a product SIKAFLEX EBT (elastic bonding technology). I managed to achieve the same result although I didn’t have a finishing tool and  hey presto NO MORE LEAKS and not likely to reappear either as this stuff sticks  and dries like rubber so a permanent fix. Just YouTube SIKAFLEX EBT to see. To get a  decent result just mask of with tape and smooth flat with a credit card or similar. Does take a while to dry properly (in my case 3 days not 24 hours) but well pleased with the result. I am pretty certain your leak will be along the top of the window but you can easily check by running a hose pipe down the sides before trying the top. Let the hose run for quite a while as it may take a while before drips inside. Hope this helps someone.

• 1 month later...

Hi NigW, can you tell me how you got the sealant into the top of the window? As my swift elegance currently has the same issue, but when we have looked the front perspex panel overhangs the window so much that we cannot see a way to get the sealant in without removing something first, could yo give me a detailed idea on how to go about it please, currently on holiday with the family in devon and its started in this storm😔

Hi again, not sure if it is the same window as mine? We are talking about the panoramic window  are we? The one ABOVE the front windows. Mine is a 2016 but I think the later ones around 2018 onwards have been updated  with no recess. Mine has about a 1/2 inch recess all around the window. Obviously it has to be sealed from OUTSIDE the caravan and you will need a large pair of step ladders as it is difficult to get access. Six months have passed in some torrential downpours and not a single drip since!

• 6 months later...

Hi NigW.

I´m a new member from germany.  I have the same Problem with my Conqueror 560 from 2016.

Is it possible to send me a picture of two from the repair.

Thank you very much.

Best regards from germany . Ralf

4 minutes ago, Ralle62 said:

Hi NigW.

I´m a new member from germany.  I have the same Problem with my Conqueror 560 from 2016.

Is it possible to send me a picture of two from the repair.

Thank you very much.

Best regards from germany . Ralf

Unfortunately  NigW hasn't been back since October2020

So you might not get the response you are after

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

I also had this same problem with my 2016 Conqueror 560 and last November it was replaced under warranty. I must say that the new window seems much firmer than the original. I am the second owner, it had a full service history but the water ingress guarantee was reduced to six years for the second owner

My 2018 Elegance leaked along the bottom @ less than 2 years old. Because the dealer had gone out-of-business I was effectively left with no warranty as the next nearest dealer is 25m away & had a 9 months+(!!!!) waiting list. The official fix is to remove & replace the window (& dismantle a lot of internal furniture!) which is a long & expensive job. The top recess had already been filled (very messily!) during production (an admission of faulty design if ever there was one) so I presumed that filling-in the rest of the sides & bottom recess, myself, was entirely justifiable.

It turned out that 1/2 of the bottom joint was actually open & lacked sufficient sealant!

The hardest part was removing the air deflector to allow access to the bottom recess. It took 3 tubes of sealant to fill-in all round the 3 sides very generously. Cost : whatever you care to pay for sealant & around 2 hours of easy work! It would have cost me more time & fuel to have it done (even under warranty) by a dealer!

At least I now have the satisfaction of knowing the job's been done right. Pity Swift can't say the same.

Hi Micktheshed

I too have a 2018 Elegance with the moonroof leaking and following you write i intend to do exactly what you have done. Can you tell me how you removed the front "deflector" panel above the windows as i am blowed if i can see what holds it.

Thanks

BeTe

BeaWTee: the 'deflector' removal is the most time consuming part of the job & needs to be done carefully. As I recall it requires 2 screws removing which are hidden under small stuck-on patches. The deflector itself is then teased out of it's channel (it's held in by sealant).  I don't think it's quite as fragile as it appears but don't rush this part, just keep gently teasing it & if possible apply gentle heat (or wait for the weather to warm up !).

Needless to say the whole area to be sealed requires cleaning (with white spirit or similar) & allowed to dry. Use a clear type sealant (not the horrendous black stuff that Swift used) even though it's not too visible from the ground. I used 'Gorilla' brand but only because Aldi were selling it off cheap LOL.

I made a bent nozzle (by heating-up a standard plastic one with a hair dryer) to make access easier. Be over-generous with the sealant in order to fill the gap & ensure a water-tight seal. Bear in mind that you don't actually need to make as much mess as Swift LOL.

If you can wait until around the 7/8th of April I will be  booking a visit to the storage to get my 'van ready for the  ****GLORIOUS 12th****. I can then refresh my faded memory as to exactly what I did. ......It's seems , & actually has been,  a very long time since before the first lock-down.

Hi Mick

I can wait until then as i do not want to break that deflector it looks as though it could be pretty costly mistake

Thanks

Beetee

BeeWTee: I will report back ASAP.  Pity you've missed 2 nice warm days already LOL. We can only hope for more very soon......

• 3 weeks later...

BeeWTee: reporting back as promised.....& there's warm weather on the way......

There are indeed two screws hidden behind flat-triangular-shaped black pads which are stuck down & need to be prised-up carefully. With these screws removed the deflector can be teased very carefully from it's channel. It's quite flexible but don't risk forcing it too much, just keep gently applying pressure, preferably under warm conditions, to ease the adhesive that retains it. When replacing it I built-up a small pad of sealant under each 'wing' (as had already been done by the dealer) to stop it vibrating  & making a low moaning noise at speed. There were reports of some deflectors coming loose & I even heard of one that detached itself & was never seen again! When replacing the two screws don't forget to bed them in sealant.

Don't be tempted to rush the job & use PLENTY of sealant, all the time trying not to get too smarmy about ALL the money your saving LOL.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mick

Sorry i have not replied to you i have been away for a couple of weeks with work and not been doing anything with the van. I intend to have a go at the moonroof this week as i am off for a couple of days weather not looking great but hey ho.

Thanks for the info i suspected there was some form of mechanical fixing for this deflector so will now go and have a proper look.

Thanks again

BeeWTee