Sign in to follow this  
MarlonOnTour

Swift Conqueror 560 2016 panorama window leaking

Hi all,

the front panorama window of my Swift Conqueror 560 2016 model started to leak when it is raining.   Since I'm the second owner of this caravan and the first one missed the yearly check up, the Swift group refuses to fix this issue within the "10 year warranty". So it's not a warranty but more like a "every year we fix all leaks for 10 years and then you are screwed" :blink:

It's quite frustrating since besides the newly discovered leak, I've had a lot of issues with the caravan: The veneer was constantly falling off and I had to glue it back on. I'm a Software Engineer myself and was exited about their Swift Command App and the possibility to control the caravan remotely with an app. Then I've discovered that their API was not secured at all! So everyone could access the data of ALL other Swift caravan owners personal data, including their GPS location and could also remote control those caravans. I was in shock about the lack of basic data protection and immediately contacted them to get this fixed. And now the caravan is standing here with a leaking window and they refuse to help in any way. :(

Therefore I need to fix it myself. Could anyone point me to instructions how this panorama window is removed, to I can seal it up again? Is it screwed or glued in? Do I need to remove the whole interior paneling in order to get access to the window? Since it my first caravan any advice is highly appreciated.

A video of the leak can be found here: https://youtu. be/IQJOUwSpLds

Swift Conqueror 560 2016 panorama window leaking.jpg

Edited by MarlonOnTour

Hi and welcome,

Have a look at Flying Grandad’s post here, I’m sure he’ll have all your answers, his pictures show how the roof is bonded too 😉

You may also find SwiftTalk helpful. Worth joining if you have not already.

I am interested in your security observations re Command, can you expand a little? 

Did you not check when you bought the caravan that the annual services had been carried out within timescales and that the warranty was intact?

You can’t blame the manufacturer for refusing to help if the warranty has been invalidated, allbeit not by you.

• Like 1

Regardless of service history and warranty the Consumer Rights Act (CRA) would expect goods such as your caravan to perform as expected for more than a couple of years.

Forget the warranty and pursue the dealer under the CRA, send them a letter stating what is wrong, what you want them to do about it, and the consequences if they fail in their duty under your rights as laid down in the CRA 2015.

Make sure you state the timescale you are prepared to wait before you take the next steps. 

Have look at the Which website, just search Consumer Rights Act, it is near the top. 

Hi MartinJB,

thanks so much for pointing out Flying Grandad post. This is a great help!

On 28/10/2018 at 17:24, MartinJB said:

> I am interested in your security observations re Command, can you expand a little?

The Swift Command app and website were using an API that did not verify that the user sending and reading commands was the owner of the caravan. So everyone could simply change the ID of the caravan to any other to have the same access as the actual owner. An attacker could simply loop over all IDs to steal personal data or even worse remote control any caravan using Swift Command. I couln't believe that nowadays a company does not care to protect personal data of it's customers. At leased they fixed it a couple of weeks after I've reported the issue.

15 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Regardless of service history and warranty the Consumer Rights Act (CRA) would expect goods such as your caravan to perform as expected for more than a couple of years.

Forget the warranty and pursue the dealer under the CRA, send them a letter stating what is wrong, what you want them to do about it, and the consequences if they fail in their duty under your rights as laid down in the CRA 2015.

Make sure you state the timescale you are prepared to wait before you take the next steps.  

Have look at the Which website, just search Consumer Rights Act, it is near the top.  

Hi Grandpa Steve,

thanks for pointing this out. Do you know if this also applies for non UK citizens?

32 minutes ago, MarlonOnTour said:

thanks for pointing this out. Do you know if this also applies for non UK citizens?

The CRA is UK legislation, but enshrines some EU law around the Consumer Rights directive, so I would review what consumer law applies in your country.

Legal guarantees in Europe

54 minutes ago, MarlonOnTour said:

The Swift Command app and website were using an API that did not verify that the user sending and reading commands was the owner of the caravan. So everyone could simply change the ID of the caravan to any other to have the same access as the actual owner. An attacker could simply loop over all IDs to steal personal data or even worse remote control any caravan using Swift Command. I couln't believe that nowadays a company does not care to protect personal data of it's customers. At leased they fixed it a couple of weeks after I've reported the issue.

Thanks and glad they plugged that gap!!

• Like 1