joanie

the white peg

On 27/10/2018 at 21:37, GaryB1969 said:

From memory they identify non-awning and serviced pitches?

And disabled too

On 27/10/2018 at 21:46, ancell said:

Findhorn Bay suffers from the same problem as many sites

1 it’s on a dead end road

2 it’s not easy to get to

3 there are no other sites for tourers so it cannot service demand at peak season.

On the upside it’s a paradise for families with not a lot of cash since they can camp next to the beach.

In the days when I had caravans costing £4000 I did not bother about families kids playing football near my caravan with a regulation football there-now the caravan cost £27000 its a whole different ball game-so to speak.

However I can see us returning yet again in 2019

Have you seen next years prices??     £5 more per night!  :o

Got told off for having an inch of tyre on the grass this year. I find it difficult to get the car down close to the van, and avoiding the aquaroll whilst keeping on the gravel. I always pitch to the peg as per requested.

We enjoy club sites but I do sometimes find the wardens a little fussy.   Usually, I deal with them to save my husband from getting irate.   I smile, nod, agree and then carry on. Naughty, I know!

• Like 2

things are only going to get worse with the widths of caravans and awnings  getting wider.  

14 minutes ago, joanie said:

things are only going to get worse with the widths of caravans and awnings  getting wider.  

CC / C&MC pitch spacing has gradually increased over the decades, this was much easier on all grass pitches but expensive now to move hardstandings.

On 02/12/2018 at 16:26, gravon42 said:

Have you seen next years prices??     £5 more per night!  :o

Yes £27 per night for a touring caravan in high season certainly not a bargain.

A few years ago even in high season it never became crowded unfortunately now in high season its jam packed full with its ample compliment of four legged friends.

Thing to bear in mind you cannot park on the grass so you must leave your tug parked on the access road which is between the tents and the toilet block-definitely not good planning!

The CMC could easily  solve their man made challenges about pitch space and pegs. .  Change their " Pack em In " ideas and make every pitch large enough to ensure all round space for caravanners.   This "Car Park" look which they seem to favour makes their sites look far too regimented and boring.

Edited by bessacarr425
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, ancell said:

Yes £27 per night for a touring caravan in high season certainly not a bargain.

A few years ago even in high season it never became crowded unfortunately now in high season its jam packed full with its ample compliment of four legged friends.

Thing to bear in mind you cannot park on the grass so you must leave your tug parked on the access road which is between the tents and the toilet block-definitely not good planning!

I would say that £27 a night for two people has become a bargain price in high season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Easy T said:

I would say that £27 a night for two people has become a bargain price in high season.

Really? Most of the commercials in Scotland that I check out are £20-25 and they're better than C&MC club sites, IMO.

I have not compared sites in Scotland although I have used CC sites there and commercial sites.

When I compare the sites in England and Wales for the times that I tour I find commercial sites generally dearer.

12 hours ago, Easy T said:

Not up here in Bonnie Scotland it’s not.

We can stay at Kiliegruer on the beach fabulous sunsets over The Paps Of Jura for £18 a night stay 6 nights get 7th free!

However our 8 nights at Holgates farm will cost £50 per night that’s the Lake District for you.

Holgates is not the Lake District. It is on the border of Lancs and Cumbria. It is specially designed for high end family experience and our stay in September with 2 grandchildren was cheaper than £50. You are paying for facilities.

If the rules are made plain, and you can see some sense in it, then simple accept rules or find another site.

However if you are told for example you must reverse onto the pitch because of fire precautions so caravans can be moved in a hurry should the worst happen, you accept it as looking after general safely of all.

But when you then walk around the site and see wheel locks it becomes apparent nothing to do with fire precautions, there is some other reason.

Twice this year been to Forest of Dean CCC site. First time with Kia Carens second with Kia Sorento, the assess road is just a little on the narrow side to reverse into the pitch without front wheels of car leaving the road, with the Sorento no problem, all wheel drive, but February with Carens sorry I really messed up the grass as drive wheels went on it.

Being fair no one complained and a lovely site, but being on a hill, I can see it would be very tempting to drive straight on and as a result get stuck, which in turn means a churned up site.  

So after realising how easy to churn up the grass it was clear why the rules were reverse in. However caravan brakes are designed to stop caravans going forward, I have seen caravans where brakes don't hold in reverse, I engage the motor mover before unhitching just in case, and would prefer to face caravan tow hitch down hill.

But now towing with two 4 x 4 cars Kia Sorento and Jaguar XE however both also come in two wheel drive versions so it must be hard for site managers to judge which cars and/or drivers can drive across grass and which will turn it into a mud bath, so I can see why the rules are made.

And to be frank the Sorento is part time 4 wheel drive and in high box it is auto selected, so I have not a clue as to if it would engage as required or not, OK low ratio is always 4 wheel drive, but never actually tried it in low ratio, I hope it would work, but don't know for sure.

On 06/12/2018 at 22:39, WispMan said:

Holgates is not the Lake District. It is on the border of Lancs and Cumbria. It is specially designed for high end family experience and our stay in September with 2 grandchildren was cheaper than £50. You are paying for facilities.

Well it’s close to it-and when we are there-the busied week in the year in England holiday wise-it has the Lake District feel ie everywhere is jam packed to the rafters.

I expect to pay £60 a night for caravan 3 adults 2 children and a dog for 24 th  to 2nd June  summer mid term 2019.

I see the price is £444 for 8 nights at present 2019 prices which I expect to increase!

On 6 December 2018 at 22:39, WispMan said:

Nope, it ain't.  It was Lancashire when I was born, as was I. Agree with the comments, though. Great site, even if you don't use the clubhouse and swimming pool. Worth the money, IMO.  

We go for the swimming the cafe the wee doggies the play area and tree climbing.

To be strictly accurate the grand children do all that😀.

Granny&granpa just look forward to visiting the excellent sea front pubs.

Arnside is a favourite of ours as it’s not to far for the kids and there s plenty of choice.

Yes it’s a lovely area reminds me of the Solway and just as dangerous I suspect.

No problem with white pegs-there are none!

You arrive and take your pick of vacant pitches-I notice people “book” pitches for their pals by parking their tugs on the adjacent now non vacant pitch.

Thats why we will arrive on friday😀