joanie

the white peg

The one that you have to reverse to on CC sites.   This year, after years of caravanning we were 'told off ' twice, water off a ducks back, but the first was on a grass pitch. It was very large pitch  and being near the end of the season some of the grass was worn away  . We parked the back of the 'van on the peg but the front was about a foot or so  to the left so as to miss a bare patch. We levelled it and all was done except to get the water filled and put the awning up, then the warden shouted over for us to straighten it and I mean shouted. OH ignored the fact of how rude he was and we did as we were told.   The other time was on a hardstanding  and again we reversed to the white peg, OH is very good at reversing, now this time everything was done, awning up, sat dish, the lot . Some hours later the warden came along and started to measure out the pitch with his long strides and kept looking at the 'van and the awning, which was on the hardstanding, but a couple of guy ropes were on the grass. After he finished measuring he moved the white peg, shook his head, hands in the air,  humphed but walked away.   Now we did notice that there wasn't as much room on the awning side but who are we to question it ?  We have noticed a few times this year where folk don't seem to be sure which way they should be parked on grass pitches, especially when the pitches curve or are in the middle of the field. We think it would be helpful if a marker peg was put, say 10 ft./ 3m. from the white peg to show where to park .

This was a concern to me when we got our air awning this year as it was 3m deep and of course the guy ropes extended further. Did not have any issues whilst touring but could see how certain wardens might have reacted.

Glad it's gone and we are back to 2. 5m poled awning with no guy ropes.

We don't need jobsworths ranting at us at our age!

GB.

There seems to be a move to keep off the grass surrounding hard standings on CMC sites.

I have seen Wardens telling people to move airers, satellite dishes and even dog pegs onto the hardstanding off the grass.

The reason given was that the “pitch” paid for is just the hard standing and that the grassed areas are “common” areas.

Now I wonder what will happen in the summer when many sit on the grassed area around their pitch.

It also seems to suggest that walking between pitches on the grassed areas is acceptable, something we have always regarded as being taboo.

Every CMC site we arrive on, the siting instructions (ie rear offside corner to the peg) are outlined, and it also appears on the site plan we are given, usually with reference to the alternative of front nearside to the peg if you wish to go on the pitch nose in.  There is also usually either a diagram or a model on the desk.  I therefore see no problem if people who ignore the pitching requirements are asked to move if they ignore them.  Usually though, Wardens dont ask people to move for distances of 12- 18” off peg, sometimes more.

Edited by hp100425ev

One reason why we use CL's ;)

• Like 1

I stopped my membership and stopped using CC club years ago . I found them totally pedantic, arrogant and rude . ..I spend my money somewhere else, they seem to have forgotten that they rely on US for their income . Stuff em.

• Like 2

Some of the white pegs move very easily. ...........  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

As an easy going caravanner of five decades I to felt The Warden antics in both the C&CC and the C&M regarding The White Stick daft and pedantic.

Until

I pitched our brand new caravan at Findhorn Bay in 2017.

I returned from the local shop to find my neighbour had pitched his twin axle across his pitch-his hitch was less than 6 inches from the front of our caravan!

Similarly I used to be laid back about doggies wandering around off their leash until I stepped in fresh dog poo on our pitch!

I hope you recorded your experience in a site review and filled in the site survey you were sent a few days after your stay, assuming of course that you have signed up receiving e-mails? Mentioning it on here will have no effect other than getting it off your chest!

David

We had a choice of three adjoined wet pitches last spring and the warden said to ignore the pegs and pick a dry spot, once we had, he stuck a peg by the corner :)   It was all hard standing for this year.

6 minutes ago, klyne said:

I hope you recorded your experience in a site review and filled in the site survey you were sent a few days after your stay, assuming of course that you have signed up receiving e-mails? Mentioning it on here will have no effect other than getting it off your chest!

David

Nope not getting it off my chest just pointing out that I-like posters on this thread- thought the actions of The Warden rather daft eg removing the peg so you can park the caravan corner ever so close when The Warden reinserts said Snow White peg- until a neighbour decided that he wanted his boat and caravan on one pitch!

Regarding reviews I never post bad reviews.

Findhorn Bay is run by committee-there is no one in overall charge-and it shows -in my opinion as a user putting down my £300.

However we enjoy the alternative cafe and I am tickled pink that the multi £billion war base next door has gone and the fairy foundation goes from strength to strength.

PS the loos are the cleanest I have seen in decades of using this site.

3 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

Every CMC site we arrive on, the siting instructions (ie rear offside corner to the peg) are outlined, and it also appears on the site plan we are given, usually with reference to the alternative of front nearside to the peg if you wish to go on the pitch nose in.  

If pitching nose in to the peg doesn't the car get in the way when you exit the van ?

The war base is still there, currently used as army barracks, and while RAF 

lossie undergoes some work, the typhoons will be operating there and also the poseidon spy planes.

1 hour ago, klyne said:

David

Well it does let others know which will either enhance or reduce business to these places.

In fact, it's just like a review, in many respects

3 minutes ago, Alexbee said:

The war base is still there, currently used as army barracks, and while RAF 

lossie undergoes some work, the typhoons will be operating there and also the poseidon spy planes.

Nevertheless the most expensive unit in the UK war machine-The RAF- has gone!

Who could have imagined that even 10 years ago.

I well remember the days when the Foundation was looked upon as a bunch of alternative clueless hippies-now it’s members and supporters own most of the property and many businesses in the area.

Some CMC sites have red and/or blue pegs. ........

Edited by MalH

5 minutes ago, MalH said:

From memory they identify non-awning and serviced pitches?

14 minutes ago, svimes said:

Well it does let others know which will either enhance or reduce business to these places.

In fact, it's just like a review, in many respects

Findhorn Bay suffers from the same problem as many sites

1 it’s on a dead end road

2 it’s not easy to get to

3 there are no other sites for tourers so it cannot service demand at peak season.

On the upside it’s a paradise for families with not a lot of cash since they can camp next to the beach.

In the days when I had caravans costing £4000 I did not bother about families kids playing football near my caravan with a regulation football there-now the caravan cost £27000 its a whole different ball game-so to speak.

However I can see us returning yet again in 2019

As I started to motor-move onto my pitch at a CAMC site recently I thought that the white peg looked a little close to the left-hand-side of the gravel (looking from the road). 

I kicked away a few leaves and spotted a yellow metal disk fixed to the ground - this is the permanent marker position for the peg which, as Gary says above, is quite easily moved.

So I moved the white peg back to it's correct position, and moved the van to align with it. This left me just the right amount of room next to my aquaroll and waste hog to park the car without encroaching on the grass.  

A previous occupant must have had a big awning and decided to move the peg to the left a little to give himself more room - and this was supported by fresh tyre tracks on the left.

I later confirmed my action with the warden, who ok'd it.

On other CAMC pitches I've noticed either a spot of paint or a nail or a notch in the gravel board which edges the pitch - this allows wardens to reinstate the peg in position.

John

8 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

As I started to motor-move onto my pitch at a CAMC site recently I thought that the white peg looked a little close to the left-hand-side of the gravel (looking from the road). 

I kicked away a few leaves and spotted a yellow metal disk fixed to the ground - this is the permanent marker position for the peg which, as Gary says above, is quite easily moved.

So I moved the white peg back to it's correct position, and moved the van to align with it. This left me just the right amount of room next to my aquaroll and waste hog to park the car without encroaching on the grass.  

A previous occupant must have had a big awning and decided to move the peg to the left a little to give himself more room - and this was supported by fresh tyre tracks on the left.

I later confirmed my action with the warden, who ok'd it.

On other CAMC pitches I've noticed either a spot of paint or a nail or a notch in the gravel board which edges the pitch - this allows wardens to reinstate the peg in position.

John

The white peg is meant to be moved around by the warden, to even out the wear on grass pitches

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

From memory they identify non-awning and serviced pitches?

Correct, Hebden Bridge is a good example

12 hours ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

If pitching nose in to the peg doesn't the car get in the way when you exit the van ?

Obviously if it was an awning pitch, the awning would go there, so the car then goes on the other side.

58 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

The white peg is meant to be moved around by the warden, to even out the wear on grass pitches

I was talking about hardstanding pitches where there is no need for the peg to ever be moved.

56 minutes ago, MalH said:

Correct, Hebden Bridge is a good example

Aren't virtually all CAMC sites a good example, as most have a variety of pitches?

12 hours ago, MalH said:

And also yellow pegs for grass pitches.

John

Edited by Johnaldo

12 hours ago, ancell said:

Nevertheless the most expensive unit in the UK war machine-The RAF- has gone!

Who could have imagined that even 10 years ago.

I well remember the days when the Foundation was looked upon as a bunch of alternative clueless hippies-now it’s members and supporters own most of the property and many businesses in the area.

Very true and they built some quite remarkable dwellings, and There are some remarkable people there. I remember well when they were being dismissed as dippy hippies who went there to Talk to the fairies

Anyone's from Mars reading this topic would think earth was populated by nutters! 🤪🤪

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MalH said:

Red to identify fully serviced pitches and Blue for non-awning pitches.

8 minutes ago, MalH said:

Anyone's from Mars reading this topic would think earth was populated by nutters! 🤪🤪

If they've been monitoring Trump they know already!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1