Sign in to follow this  
guinness

cycle lanes/paths

After yet another cycle rage attack is it not about time that cycles were taxed (or had some registration details  visible) wore high visibility of some sort, and were insured and can somebody tell me why the minority do not use lanes/paths or do they just have a death wish.

before anybody queries I do not hate cyclists

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Tax? What’s that going to solve, car drivers pay tax and there are some right lunatics driving about.

As I have to have 3rd Party Liability Insurance living in Germany I am covered if I cause someone harm, do you not have that in the UK?

I don’t recall seeing many proper cycling lanes last time I was back in Blighty, I’d say it’s got the worst cycling infrastructure in the EU. I believe it’s also illegal to cycle on the pavement in Britain 

Please don't tar us all with the same brush. It is generally the lycra-clad "head down" minority that get the poor reputation that is then applied to all. Rather like the few inconsiderate caravanners that give us all a bad reputation.

There is no formal DVLA registration but our bikes are insured (including third party cover) and the frame numbers are on the local Police register should they ever be pinched. Speaking personally I will always use cycle lanes - preferably ones that are separate from the roads - and strange as it may seem, I do stop for traffic lights!

Gordon.

where we live it is approx. 2 miles to town all covered by a cycle path  and 2 way traffic so why do most of the cyclists ride on the road?  and Borussia yes we do have cycle paths on the pavement in some towns and as for lunatics couldn't agree with you more think there all in our county lol.

It’s the same what ever subject you choose. If one person is doing it all legal and kosher and another person is ignoring all the rules you’re going to get conflicting views.

12 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Tax? What’s that going to solve, car drivers pay tax and there are some right lunatics driving about.

As I have to have 3rd Party Liability Insurance living in Germany I am covered if I cause someone harm, do you not have that in the UK?

I don’t recall seeing many proper cycling lanes last time I was back in Blighty, I’d say it’s got the worst cycling infrastructure in the EU. I believe it’s also illegal to cycle on the pavement in Britain 

There's a lot of people who cycle on pavements in our area since the tarn council thought it a good idea, its scary how fast they go and I fear someone's going to get killed sooner or later and I fear its going to be someone in a pram :(

There's also a lot idiot drivers who park on the pavement, this is another problem for those with prams or on scooters as they have to use the road to get passed.

To answer the question: No (apart from high Viz / reflective kit, and most do)

The second question: sometimes cycle lanes are so badly designed that it is preferable to cycle on the road.

Edited by svimes

I see it from both sides, yesterday we went into Chester, while we were riding through the traffic lights they changed, so we were mixed in with the traffic from other direction. In Shotton there is a path and space for cyclists to go to the front, that does not work either, as then cars zooming past when your most vulnerable going at very low speed so likely to wobble.

I see the round cycle sign which means cycles MUST use to paved area to side of road, then signs NOT CYCLING ON THE WALKWAY however nothing to show which bit of the pavement is walk way and which is cycle way, and no end of cycle way signs.

Again Chester has on cycle way on Sealand road no cyclist in their right mind would use as it's like a switchback. I have no objections to doing away with road tax and replacing it with fuel tax so everyone pays in proportion to damage their vehicle causes, now the tax disc has gone, no reason no to put it on the fuel.

I again yesterday decided to use the road rather than cycle track, as the cycle track has some steep hills over the railway and alongside the railway Shotton to Queensferry, but road is flat, mistake as soon as I started off, traffic would stop again. Including over taking me then pulling to left and stopping.  

I cycle for pleasure, and that is very different to those forced to cycle to work after getting the bike cheap under the cycle to work scheme, they have to clearly get to work on time, and not dripping in sweat, and are likely to behave very different to myself who will clearly in the main take the scenic off road route.

Also rather pointless giving tax breaks to get people cycling, then tax it back again, so there will not be a road tax for bikes, but first thing is signs, there is a road on the Deeside industrial estate where cyclists are directed to ride in the wrong direction on a one way street, in other words the Council in this case Flintshire is telling cyclists road signs don't apply to them. Once a cyclist realises to follow the laid out cycle route he has to disregard road signs, why should they on general routes think they now must obey them?

Where I live much of the problems with cyclists is down to the Council, they have coastal paths to cycle, which use major roads without any cycle lanes, you start off on a proper cycle path, then it disappears. And a holiday into Shropshire following the Cycle path which follows route of A5 either minor roads or proper cycle path, at a roundabout where A5 duel carriageway ends, so does cycle path, lucky the caravan site is just off that roundabout so only real problem is getting around the roundabout.

Again I went to join the montgomery canal which is reported to have a good cycle path along side it, only to find it closed, and the route aroDSC_2381.thumb.jpg.35438ec8caa932577ee45a7e0e500b19.jpgund the closure was not really an option. This is not want you want to see 5 miles into cycle ride.   Any wonder cyclists use the road?

Sign in to follow this