Sign in to follow this  
kiaboy

VIP 520 - 2019

12 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

It should also be borne in mind that financial institutions and other organisations that handle substantial financial transactions have strict legal obligations under money laundering legislation and, depending on their self-protection policies, may have to impose payment method restrictions on customers.

I spoke to the finance manager of the dealer who said they are not allowed to charge the customer, but TBH, they are, as I have got to pay £20 for the privilege  of using BD. .  Just because I will not pay over my money by their chosen methods before seeing the van. . Hey Ho, that's life now, I think. .

1 minute ago, kiaboy said:

I spoke to the finance manager of the dealer who said they are not allowed to charge the customer, but TBH, they are, as I have got to pay £20 for the privilege  of using BD. .  Just because I will not pay over my money by their chosen methods before seeing the van. . Hey Ho, that's life now, I think. .

The £20 CHAPS fee (I presume) is payable to your bank, they get away with passing on fees 🤬

I think LE is talking generally about implications of money laundering regs and therefore may affect how dealers take payment (especially cash!)

No one wants to pay the fee for being paid lets be honest, and its totally understandable. By the dealer eradicating their liabilty best they are able they can also surely be more transparent with their best price and don’t have to “build in” fees for card processing or indeed second guess payment methods.

2 hours ago, kiaboy said:

They said it was down to excessive costs they pay to the CC Co, But as I am having a BD I will have to pay £20 :blush: So the customer ends up paying now. .

I my past experience Paul, they will pay more to pass the Bankers Draft through their account than to process a debit card transaction - paper “cheques”, including drafts are costly to process, although I do accept that times have moved on.

I’m sure it won’t take the shine off having the new van though.  

Glen.

4 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

It's good to see a dealership taking a duty of care responsibility for it's sales and I'm of the opinion it is their business. There are often criticisms of sales staff who allow customers to drive away with their new purchase attached to a totally inappropriate tow car and who never enquire about driving licence status. Whilst they are naturally trying to protect the company reputation, they are at the same time providing at least some small amount of protection to the public as well.

Whilst I’m all for the “responsible and sensible” attitude of the dealer, maybe just bringing matters to the attention of the purchaser would suffice. To ask for proof of documentation is, in my opinion, a step too far.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Les Medes said:

We were hoping to be proud owners of a 2019   VIP 520/4 but had to pull out of the deal when we found out that in their wisdom Coachman have reduced the bunks size to 6. 0 Ft from our current 2014 VIP 520/4, so, no use to us  as I am  6'2"  We have given up on making the bed up into a double that would overcome the problem but we both have health issues and struggle handling the cushions.

We do not want to change to a fixed bed as we feel that there is a lot more wasted space, that is a personal preference, I know that Coachman's biggest sellers in their range are fixed beds .  

Hi

The beds in yours were only 6ft 2inches and you are the same height - have you tried stretching out on the new VIP 520 as they are only 2 inches shorter and not encumbered by the large deep front locker that yours has got ?

Alan

5 hours ago, AlanS said:

Hi

The beds in yours were only 6ft 2inches and you are the same height - have you tried stretching out on the new VIP 520 as they are only 2 inches shorter and not encumbered by the large deep front locker that yours has got ?

Alan

Yes I have tried, even took our own pillows to the dealers to try it out, it would be a tight squeeze and would not be comfortable, but thanks for your comments

Feed back on our new VIP

This is a Review of 2019 Coachman VIP520/3 against our previous 2015 VIP 520/4 after the first time use

Positives

• Bright feeling inside using off white worktops in kitchen and living area
  • Better upholstery with sprung bases, no need to turn over for nighttime
  • Plush bright carpets.
  • Inside front gives a roomy feeling as the front chest has been pushed forward
  • Dometic cooker- great grill.
  • Front 3 Windows are flush fitting
  • Wider seating for the side dinette due to removing the bunk and sprung bases
  • Full size shower, with shelves and wet coat hanger.
  • Status aerial instead of the Avtex Twig
  • Roof design is easier to clean now the roof rails gap has gone.
  • 2 Front outside lockers are spacious
  • iNet communications for Alde heating and gas level via app on Smartphone) supplied as we bought it at the NEC show) Not sure if I will be using it after the novelty has worn off though.
  • Front Tow Cover (supplied as we bought it at the NEC show)
  • 100w Solar panel (supplied as we bought it at the NEC show)

Negatives

• Smaller cupboards throughout and less shelves
  • No Dimmer switch for LED mood light strips
  • Lack of nearside wet locker with integrated 240v Socket.
  • Wardrobe doors are smaller.
  • Smaller kitchen worktop by 3”
  • No shelves in the washroom next to the sink
  • Washroom sink cupboard smaller
  • Dometic Toilet bowl is shallow; the rinse does not clean the entire bowl without flushing several flushes, poorly located emptying slider and needing to be open whilst being used. In addition: high maintenance due to the need to use lubrication regularly to the rubber seals and slider rail.
  • Rear steady legs were very tight when winding them up towards the end. (after taking some time thinking they had been bent during transportation, I removed them both and realised the hole on the Alko chassis was too small making it very difficult to close, after making them bigger they are better now)

I have carried out some modifications:

• Added a nearside wet box with integrated 240v socket, cost £60,  Due to the door and frame had been bonded I decided to grind off the hinges and rain cover to make the front lip flat then I screwed the flange to the inside wall making sure it was aligned to the door. I then wired the socket to the plug inside the seating base.
  • I have also fitted plywood protection to the Alde pipe work inside cupboards where food tins are to be stored.
  • Underlay to all carpets making the plush carpets even more comfortable
  • Made up a rigid waste pipe carrier from 4” soil pipe, which is fitted under the floor at the rear.

Final appraisal of the new model is: after carrying out simple modifications we are happy with our purchase and look forward to getting out and about.

Box.thumb.jpg.d00c2a1fad28633c19663c4d219272d8.jpg

Pipe.thumb.jpg.909e542539396efd05fb6c4aaa58c30d.jpg

Edited by kiaboy
  • Like 1

A great comparison. Obviously we no longer have a VIP, but can still relate to the things “missing”, like the dimming lights etc. The fluffy carpets and sprung seats would be a big bonus for me and I like the idea of the waste pipe holder underneath the van. As I understand it you installed the wet locker yourself - very brave, but it looks the part. We don’t have one on the Pastiche 565, just the 240v lift up flap. We used to miss the locker, but found space in the front for the stuff we kept in there. I’m sure you’ll find some solution to the lack of storage in the bathroom - we caravanners are very resourceful when we need to be. Enjoy the van,

Glen.

55 minutes ago, Glen and Les said:

A great comparison. Obviously we no longer have a VIP, but can still relate to the things “missing”, like the dimming lights etc. The fluffy carpets and sprung seats would be a big bonus for me and I like the idea of the waste pipe holder underneath the van. As I understand it you installed the wet locker yourself - very brave, but it looks the part. We don’t have one on the Pastiche 565, just the 240v lift up flap. We used to miss the locker, but found space in the front for the stuff we kept in there. I’m sure you’ll find some solution to the lack of storage in the bathroom - we caravanners are very resourceful when we need to be. Enjoy the van,

Glen.

Thanks Glen,

We have always said when you buy from the NEC show or any other show, you only think of the major things and until you get it and stay in it. As we have caravan'ed for 40+ years we have had many caravans and as you say become very resourceful so will adopt fairly quickly. I can not understand why the wet locker would be taken away. It only took me 2 hours the trim the box down and fit including wiring If there wasn't the rubber seal showing you would think it was part of the door frame. As I fitted it internally I feel better it will not affect the water ingress warranty.   It was also great to be able to watch TV  with a reliable aerial. Looking forward now to our 10 night Christmas trip to Much Wenlock, weather (snow) permitting. I was disappointed that I found the shower waste pipe disconnected but even worse it was 4" too long, I emailed Coachman (Mr Hibbs) He never even apologised, just said he had sent my "feedback" to the production manager and assured me they take quality very important, I also sent the same email to my dealer saying they had missed it, they wriggled out of it by saying they had checked all water during their PDI, so must have come off during my travel from them to site (12 miles), but when I returned home, I removed the pipe no sign of any water in the pipe system as it has a u bend as it goes through the chassis this was dry, I do wish people would tell the truth. I did cut the pipe and re-fix it. .  Ironically I have had a text from a friend who went to see one of his friends who had just taken delivery of a Laser, while he was having a motor mover fitted the fitter noticed his shower pipe was not connected,he had just brought his home straight from dealer, so either we are unlucky or Coachman and the dealers (not the same as I used) are not checking :rolleyes:. At least I have had a look over the whole van and can not see anything else to fix. ...... Yet. .......;) 

1905106806_Showerwastepiperesized.thumb.jpg.946ab9178bcaaa654704de9784ae8def.jpg

Paul

• Like 1

For Coachman owners feeling the lack of shelves next to the sink. If you're up for a bit of a project you can use a bathroom decor end-panel (Howdens Stockbridge Matt Grey - from memory!) plus edging.  

IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1377.jpg

11 hours ago, Mickyjb said:

For Coachman owners feeling the lack of shelves next to the sink. If you're up for a bit of a project you can use a bathroom decor end-panel (Howdens Stockbridge Matt Grey - from memory!) plus edging.  

IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1377.jpg

That is just what I was thinking of, thanks I am up for any improvements

Thanks very much  Mickyjb for the info

Paul

I have now cut 2 pieces of wood to the template to fit at the side of the washroom basin, (thanks to @Mickyjb) but having put my template on the toilet side my wife felt there was little room to move when sat on the toilet.   So I might fit 2 shelves to the right next to the shower but they need staining to as near as possible to the internal boarding first.  

• Like 1

Shelve now made, (well 2, as I am thinking of fitting the other below it later), unfortunately the stain is as close I can get to Coachman's . ..

20181206_135651.thumb.jpg.31ddbaf1fe07e3efd6db7b7ddbe4b7dd.jpg

20181206_135707.thumb.jpg.eadf371db67c37d0ad04f3a9fd5605d3.jpg

• Like 1