Sign in to follow this  
kiaboy

VIP 520 - 2019

Ordered a new VIP 520 at the October NEC show on the Wednesday. Got a call today from the dealer who has said the van is going to be built next week, they will have the van from factory by end of October, so can collect Wednesday 7th November at 9am.    They need a few hours to swap mover over so van should be ready for collection by 2. 30. We have booked a CL site 1/2 hour away so if any snags are found they will come out and sort them, and they will pay up to £20 for the first night. Happy days.

Review will no doubt follow after the shake down ;)

• Like 1

Crikey, that’s great news for you. We placed an order too at the NEC for a VIP 545, but have to wait until February for delivery.

You are both lucky, we ordered a Bessacarr in September and collect it in March.

47 minutes ago, solarpower said:

You are both lucky, we ordered a Bessacarr in September and collect it in March.

I suppose that’s one of the potential draw backs on Dealer Specials, their production runs will be even more limited than “off the shelf” models. I’m sure it’ll be worth the wait though.

21 hours ago, kiaboy said:

Ordered a new VIP 520 at the October NEC show on the Wednesday. Got a call today from the dealer who has said the van is going to be built next week, they will have the van from factory by end of October, so can collect Wednesday 7th November at 9am.    They need a few hours to swap mover over so van should be ready for collection by 2. 30. We have booked a CL site 1/2 hour away so if any snags are found they will come out and sort them, and they will pay up to £20 for the first night. Happy days.

Review will no doubt follow after the shake down ;)

Great news for you and what a good choice  ! We ordered our dealer special last October and picked it up at the end of March this year although we did have one fright when they informed us that it might be late May/June before it was available but in the end all was well - but that of course is a dealer special which are allocated specific factory slots.

We have had a few small issues with our one but mostly to do with OEM components such as the alarm system didn't work properly but I called Sargent direct and the next day a courier delivered a new one to fit myself and they also arranged for a courier to pick up the faulty one (great service). On our recent holiday in France the water system failed and the pump continued to run - I stripped everything down but believe the problem is with the Whale IC unit behind the pump inlet (a friend of ours who has a new Eldis has had 2replacement IC units so far ! Our panoramic window blind failed on holiday - it has always been tight to pull down and push up but both 'strings' parted so dealer to sort out (new one ordered from Coachman) - we have since tried the blind in a 2019 VIP model and it has much smoother action than our one had. We had to have the glass oven/hob lid replaced because the screws that were used to secure the oven to the kitchen unit had round head screws fitted that, because the heads were too large, caused the glass to rest on them and chip out the edges on both sides. Squeaky ALKO brakes is another issue our dealer is going to action - we have scared the life out of the residents in French villages and all the dogs run for cover when we brake and I can now touch the brake pedal on and off to get a 2-tone siren sound out of them.   Final point and not a fault is the Dometic toilet with that awfull large toilet bowl seal handle - it is so large and happens to be right between your legs and we recently spoke to a couple who had the same caravan as us and he said that when using said toilet, he got up from the seat and with trousers caught on this handle it then launched him forwards across the toilet compartment (so much for improvements!).

Anyway we have been away for about 16 weeks in ours and apart from the 'niggles' love the caravan. Hope you get yours on the date they have given and that you enjoy your new Coachman as much as we do ours.

Alan 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Alan, for your feedback. I am also not sure about the Dometic toilet not impressed with all the grease and silicon spray they advise to apply, do you apply this?? (Used to Thetford) 

Paul  

44 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

Thanks Alan, for your feedback. I am also not sure about the Dometic toilet not impressed with all the grease and silicon spray they advise to apply, do you apply this?? (Used to Thetford) 

Paul  

Paul

I do use Thetford spray lubricant on the seals (2 of them spaced apart) and it is a bit awkward to clean the seals if someone uses the loo and it is not a 'clean shot so to speak'  trying not to be crude but honest. Also Coachman have a larger separate key to open the cassette door - why? and the flushing tank filler does not have a lock on it like Thetfords do. We much prefer a Thetford but c'est la vie, it works and the rest of the caravan is perfect for us.

Alan 

• Like 1

Thanks Alan, sometimes it has to be said to get the point over Thanks.   I agree regarding Thetford, a step back for me, but as you say not a deal breaker.

Paul

We are being quoted late March, early April on a  VIP 520/4

Edited by Les Medes

Just traded my 2016 VIP 545 in against a 2019  VIP 575.  The new ‘ van will be delivered to the dealer in December.  Still recovering from the ‘hit’ I have taken on trading the 545 in so early!  Still got one year’s warranty on it and the dealer has already sold it!  

Hey ho!  Looking forward to the new ‘van! 

1 hour ago, SimonM said:

Just traded my 2016 VIP 545 in against a 2019  VIP 575.  The new ‘ van will be delivered to the dealer in December.  Still recovering from the ‘hit’ I have taken on trading the 545 in so early!  Still got one year’s warranty on it and the dealer has already sold it!  

Simon

That will be a nice Christmas present - don't dwell too much on the 'hit' you took as you can't take it with you. Look forward to next year and enjoy.

Alan

1 hour ago, SimonM said:

3 years - thats quite a long time, and we might just achieve that with our current 2017 Lunar (delivered 24 September 2016) because we are so pleased with the van and like it so much.

Currently, the longest period we have kept a van is two and a half years and the shortest 9 months.

On 25/10/2018 at 20:10, AlanS said:

Paul

I do use Thetford spray lubricant on the seals (2 of them spaced apart) and it is a bit awkward to clean the seals if someone uses the loo and it is not a 'clean shot so to speak'  trying not to be crude but honest. 

Alan 

I use an Aerosol of Silicone Spray, a lot cheaper that the Thetford product and the result is the same

5 hours ago, Les Medes said:

I use an Aerosol of Silicone Spray, a lot cheaper that the Thetford product and the result is the same

Cheers Les,

I have a can of that so will try it, but sparingly, don't want to put too much on, as I don't fancy the "mess" post usage :blush: Next Wednesday we will see first hand :D

Paul

Had a call on Friday from the dealer who went through many questions: Asking;

1) All OK for Wednesday 7th at 9am to drop van off to have mover removed and refitted to new van then 2. 30 collection of new van.

I said Yes

2) I need to produce my licence to confirm I am entitled to tow (B&E)

I said Yes I am and I have already sent this proof back with my signed agreement to buy the van. He said if I had not got it they would not sell the van to me.

3) Can I tell him what vehicle I will be towing the van with, so he can check it against the database to ensure it is capable of towing the van we are buying.

I again told him I had already provided this info with the signed agreement, but he still wanted to do the checks so I gave him the info.   He did it while we were on the phone he came back with 79. 8% (I got it to 80% when I did it my way:D) Again, He said if the results came back where the car was not OK to tow, they would not sell it

4) He asked for the Px CRiS reg number to check for any outstanding finance/Insurance write-off,.

I again said this info is with the signed agreement, he said OK thanks.

5) He then said when we collect the van we will have a 10% voucher to spend in the shop .

6) Can I ask how you will be paying?

I said Bankers Draft.

He then wished me well with our new van and that we enjoy it.

Has any one else been asked these questions????

Well, on one hand it’s encouraging that the dealer is considering the safety of your outfit (and that you have the licence to drive it), but basically it’s none of their business! I’m not sure how I would feel if asked these questions. That aside, bet you can’t wait for Wednesday!

Glen.

I've always paid by cash, cheque or phone transfer, but in todays world I prefer the backup of a finance company or a credit card :mellow:

Justin Case

13 hours ago, Glen and Les said:

Well, on one hand it’s encouraging that the dealer is considering the safety of your outfit (and that you have the licence to drive it), but basically it’s none of their business! I’m not sure how I would feel if asked these questions. That aside, bet you can’t wait for Wednesday!

Glen.

It's good to see a dealership taking a duty of care responsibility for it's sales and I'm of the opinion it is their business. There are often criticisms of sales staff who allow customers to drive away with their new purchase attached to a totally inappropriate tow car and who never enquire about driving licence status. Whilst they are naturally trying to protect the company reputation, they are at the same time providing at least some small amount of protection to the public as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul_B said:

I've always paid by cash, cheque or phone transfer, but in todays world I prefer the backup of a finance company or a credit card :mellow:

Justin Case

The dealer unfortunately does not accept credit card payment for final payments, nor cash over £5000, I have always paid for high value goods by debit card, but they no longer accept this method of payment, they said if I pay by cheque they want 4 days clearance, If I pay by BACS they want 72 hours clearance,  I have never paid for items of high value before I have seen it so as a Bankers Draft is immediate clearance, I have said I will pay them by this method.   They will not have my money until I have accepted the van. . :)

13 hours ago, Glen and Les said:

Glen.

The dealer is the same one where I bought my present van from so they already had my details on record, suppose its easier to do the checks again. . 

Yes we are looking forward to it but will be sad to see ours go as it has been great but things are beginning to happen that we thought as the Px was excellent and too good to miss we were daft not too.   And hope it gives us many good trouble free years, as I said previously, it will be our last van, due to my health problems. . 

Paul

• Like 1

I must admit that if a dealer refused to take a deposit using a CC or to pay off the balance, we would walk away like we did recently with a motor vehicle.   IMHO they know that if they mess up you can use S75 against them and they would lose.  

If they had nothing to worry about, then they should be quite happy to take a deposit paid by CC.   As for 72 hours for BACs never heard of that sort of delay.   If the transfer is under £10k it is normally immediately.   Over £10k is 24 hours.   Like others, some of those questions are of no concern to the dealer.  

However hope you enjoy your new caravan and have many happy holidays away in it.   :D

• Like 1

BACS payments do take 3 days to clear through the system (anything happening quicker is a bonus).  As do card terminal payments even (usually taking days to actually debit from my accounts). https://gocardless. com/guides/posts/bacs-payments/

Faster Payments are usually instant (but may be up to 2 hours).  Different banks have different limits though: HSBC is £25k via internet banking, Nationwide only £10k for example. With FPs I always send a £1 'part payment' and check the supplier has received it before sending the rest.

CHAPS is an alternative fast same day (usually) way to pay (it costs a fee, though) - but so do Bankers Drafts I think?

https://gocardless. com/guides/posts/bacs-payments/

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

I must admit that if a dealer refused to take a deposit using a CC or to pay off the balance, we would walk away like we did recently with a motor vehicle.   IMHO they know that if they mess up you can use S75 against them and they would lose.  

If they had nothing to worry about, then they should be quite happy to take a deposit paid by CC.   As for 72 hours for BACs never heard of that sort of delay.   If the transfer is under £10k it is normally immediately.   Over £10k is 24 hours.   Like others, some of those questions are of no concern to the dealer.  

However hope you enjoy your new caravan and have many happy holidays away in it.   :D

I would imagine this is due to the new ruling where the x% card fee is now unable to be passed onto the consumer. Not sure why Debit card is an issue mind you? wonder if they have dodgy card processors?

Its becoming normal in my experience now for dealers to accept a small deposit on a CC but not the balance.

Cash is also expensive and risky and I understand the dealers reluctance to accept large chunks of cash too.

BACS has always been a 2 day clearing system, CHAPS is guaranteed same day. Faster electronic bank payments are usually same day but they are never guaranteed and usually of limited value (i. e. £25k with HSBC).

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

I did pay the deposit by CC at the show. I didn't read the "Needs and Demands" form :rolleyes: given with the purchase pack, (you would not believe some of the questions that need completing one asks if you are of sound mind :lol: I had to think about that one for ages) as we had bought from them 3 years ago, so assumed they still took DC as I always thought this was guaranteed payment just the same as BACs.   They said it was down to excessive costs they pay to the CC Co, But as I am having a BD I will have to pay £20 :blush: So the customer ends up paying now. .

I think they are making sure they are covering their own back regarding the other questions, Due to the amount of claims people make instead of accepting they are as much responsible to make sure they are legal to drive/tow.  

Thanks for your wishes, we too hope we enjoy it for many years

Paul

We were hoping to be proud owners of a 2019   VIP 520/4 but had to pull out of the deal when we found out that in their wisdom Coachman have reduced the bunks size to 6. 0 Ft from our current 2014 VIP 520/4, so, no use to us  as I am  6'2"  We have given up on making the bed up into a double that would overcome the problem but we both have health issues and struggle handling the cushions.

We do not want to change to a fixed bed as we feel that there is a lot more wasted space, that is a personal preference, I know that Coachman's biggest sellers in their range are fixed beds .  

It should also be borne in mind that financial institutions and other organisations that handle substantial financial transactions have strict legal obligations under money laundering legislation and, depending on their self-protection policies, may have to impose payment method restrictions on customers.

• Like 1