Sign in to follow this  
TenStar

Bailey Unicorn Awning Rails

Am I imagining this. ..

Do the Unicorn/AluTec bodies have a different awning bead, will I need to have the awning bead on my Isabella Magnum porch that fits my current van (Senator S6 Indiana) altered to fit the new Cartagena when it arrives?

Hi  Ten Star, yes the Alu Tec bodies do have a different awning rail, but all you have to do is reverse the pads on your fix on 2 bracket pads so that you have a step rather than being level. You most certainly don't have to have the beading changed.

• Like 1

No you do not, although a late as last year I over heard a salesman at the NEC selling another make that you do.   As above reverse the pads.  

• Like 1

Pad reverse = all that is required

Many thanks all, good to know.

Seems I was correct and I will need to have the awning bead replaced.

Attempted to erect our Magnum today, bead goes in so far gets increasingly tight and eventually jams, phoned Isabella and they confirm Bailey did change profile of awning bead, reasonably common issue £108 to change.

I suspect the newer Isabella awnings have the revised profile bead as standard, that I can get the awning in so far suggests the difference in size is relatively small.

Last year I had similar concerns with a new  Dorema full awning on our 2017  Coachman.

A couple with a newish Bailey were struggling too, but with a porch awning.

It was as if the inner bead was pulling the rail pad away from the caravan 

Nobody I contacted in the caravan trade was aware of any profile changes. 

I was assured both by a main dealer and by Dorema that any slight change in rail profile could be accommodated by trying reversed Isabella pads,  or experimenting with different, thicker pads,    None of them worked 100% and 3 of the 5 roof rails came adrift one night.   I solved the problem temporarily by making some tapered spacers out of soft rubber and slipping them between the pads and the caravan wall just below the rail.  I don't have a permanent solution other than having the awning bead altered.

I'd be very interested to know how you measured the difference in order to specify the alteration.  Is it just a matter of saying please add  say 15mm to the depth of the inner beading?

1 hour ago, TenStar said:

Seems I was correct and I will need to have the awning bead replaced.

Attempted to erect our Magnum today, bead goes in so far gets increasingly tight and eventually jams, phoned Isabella and they confirm Bailey did change profile of awning bead, reasonably common issue £108 to change.

I suspect the newer Isabella awnings have the revised profile bead as standard, that I can get the awning in so far suggests the difference in size is relatively small.

We had a S3 Valencia (2015) and didn’t have to change the awning beading.  Used a Kampa and a Walker awning with no problem.  However there was a documented fault on some Unicorns whereby they hadn’t cleared out the awning channel properly.  I seem to remember that you needed a special tool to do it?

mel

In fact, just checked and I read about it here on Caravan Talk and someone and helpfully posted the link to the tool.  Not IT savvy enough to repost it but search “ channel for awning on Bailey Caravans”.  It is in this Bailey Caravans section somewhere.

mel

It’s called an “awning rail spreader tool” and is available on eBay or most dealers

13 hours ago, CJ1149 said:

I'd be very interested to know how you measured the difference in order to specify the alteration.  Is it just a matter of saying please add  say 15mm to the depth of the inner beading?

I'm not in position to measure the awning beads, I'm just going on what I've been told by Isabella. When I phoned and explained they immediately responded with suggestion that the bead on the awning needed to be changed as Bailey had changed profile of the awning bead channel. They also commented that it was a reasonably common issue.

Am going to try another repair Co today as Isabella are quoting a 6 week turnaround.

We’ve got Isabella, Dorema and Kampa awnings and have never had to have the bead changed. Have you tried running the wheel arch cover for example through to check it’s clear? Does your Magnum have a double bead and Fixon  2 pads? The pad changing may not be necessary and has nothing to do with the awning rail just the distance between the beads.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TenStar said:

I'm not in position to measure the awning beads, I'm just going on what I've been told by Isabella. When I phoned and explained they immediately responded with suggestion that the bead on the awning needed to be changed as Bailey had changed profile of the awning bead channel. They also commented that it was a reasonably common issue.

Well at least the issue has now been recognised and you may have a result which is good.

I don't think it's unique to Bailey as it only seems to have arisen since the introduction of the plastic/pvcu  rails.  Comparing aluminium rails to  plastic ones really shows the difference.  It could even be that a slight difference in manufacturing techniques between awning makes and models can no longer be accommodated by the new rails.

Have you tried spraying "Pledge" or a Silicon Spray in the Channel, as it seems strange that you can get it in so far, maybe a stupid response, 

On 25/03/2019 at 19:40, CJ1149 said:

Am going to try another repair Co today as Isabella are quoting a 6 week turnaround.

Awning now consigned to Isabella for replacement of awning bead, taking opportunity to have zip repaired at same time. I'll post again when I get awning back and have tried on van again 

The Canvas Repair people are good. Quick turn round and good price. They collected it and returned it.

When we bought our Pegasus we had the awning extended by them. It fits our U4 Cadiz perfectly and goes on easily.

Our Pegasus had mastic in the awning rail.I carefully removed it with a piece of wood. Current van was fine.

Awning now back from Isabella, took opportunity to have zip repaired at the same time.

Without measuring, just looking the awning bead looked the same so was a bit concerned. Tried fitting to caravan, no problem at all slid in real easy, happy bunny here.

My guess and it is only a guess is that the difference is very small and the newer (presumably) smaller diameter new beading will fit fine in older caravans. I'd further guess that newer awnings all come with the reduced diameter beading. My Magnum is a fee years old.

Whatever, top marks to Isabella even got the awning back much quicker than expected. 

• Like 1