ericfield

Look out Scotland....more coming your way next year!

Exactly!

I do not want Kintyre “discovered”

A few bucket list Must Do s

Book a room at the Crinan hotel.

https://www. crinanhotel. com/

Every room has a sea view to die for!

cheap offers in spring

Take a trip out to the Corryvreckan

https://en. m. wikipedia. org/wiki/Gulf_of_Corryvreckan

See the sea eagles on Mull day ferry from Oban

While you are there Fingals Cave

https://www. nts. org. uk/visit/places/staffa

and Iona

https://en. m. wikipedia. org/wiki/Iona

Thats just a few stunning life changing experiences awaiting in the last wilderness in Europe.

Beats dinging the hire car on scruffy overused Majorca😀

2 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Good call - but don't tell too many.

Don't know what to do next year BG ? Wee Berthy is in winter storage at Machrihanish with the intention on going on a seasonal pitch next year but love ma winter touring and I know I'm going to miss the odd trip to Glencoe between now and March.  It's a fair round trip just to get a way plus they box the vans in to deflect the wind as it can hairy down at Mach in the winter so that could be an issue as well. Maybe come to a wee deal with out stowage next year but that could work out dearer . Hhmm ? Being a miserable penny shy Jock disny help either  ! :unsure: :D 

46 minutes ago, ancell said:

Exactly!

cheap offers in spring

and Iona

Thats just a few stunning life changing experiences awaiting in the last wilderness in Europe.

Mull's got too crowded now, at least in main season.

9 minutes ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

Don't know what to do next year BG ? Wee Berthy is in winter storage at Machrihanish with the intention on going on a seasonal pitch next year but love ma winter touring and I know I'm going to miss the odd trip to Glencoe between now and March.  It's a fair round trip just to get a way plus they box the vans in to deflect the wind as it can hairy down at Mach in the winter so that could be an issue as well. Maybe come to a wee deal with out stowage next year but that could work out dearer . Hhmm ? Being a miserable penny shy Jock disny help either  ! :unsure: :D 

How do you get there Ian?:o  Long way round,  or ferries?

42 minutes ago, ancell said:

Exactly!

cheap offers in spring

and Iona

Oops ! What have I done ?? :mellow: Thing is Ancell the distance puts a lot off the part timers off. I don't mind the hardier tourer plus the area could do with some well needed cash from the Tourist but think about I have kept the biggest secret to myself which could bring all sorts of "Dudes"  Wink . Wink . ... 

Met a lovely German couple that where there for that reason and ended up going up to the Ugadale Hotel to watch Engurland in the World Cup. The chap actually built submarines for the German Navy and his sweetheart was just lovely. They also had a big dog in their camper van that barked in German as "oor wee Robbie" barked in Scottish. Or do they ? Some say they have a universal doggie language as they got on like a house on fire. ..... 

Lovely people plus it was a good laugh in the pub as there was as you can imagine some Engurland supporters in our company. ...;)

GAS .  

5 minutes ago, gravon42 said:

How do you get there Ian?:o  Long way round,  or ferries?

Road I'm afraid .  There is a ferry that runs in the sumer season from Ardrossan but is off more that it is on and only at the week end. Thing is the Graham the road is just beautiful and panoramic passing through some of the best views Scotland has to offer. It's only 130 miles from Glasgow but I would stop off overnight on the road down . Inverary being a must.   This put's a lot of the long distance tourers from the south off as many want to head further north and I don't blame them.

My last visit got talking to a very nice  Australian chap in the pub who turned out had designed the new golf course at Machrihanish and was over to play the course. Was most annoyed he could not land his private jet at the weekend at Mach and had to hire a car from Glasgow Airport where he left his aircraft but turned out he was very glad he did as he found the run down just stunning and thoroughly enjoyed his road trip. Nice down to earth kind a guy, bought him a pint . Did he buy me one back ??? Eh ? Nah !! 

Rumour control has it Donald Trump son was playing golf at Mach earlier in the year but was on a " Need to Know " basis. .... 

GAS . ...:ph34r:

58 minutes ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

We're hoping to go back to Shetland next year for most of July and then on the way home a week each in Moray, Fife and Borders with a trip into Edinburgh for the Tattoo.

I'm also trying to persuade two different groups of keen walkers to do the National Three Peaks 24 Challenge - I've offered to be their dedicated driver, no walking for me!

On 23/10/2018 at 18:53, MalH said:

Couldn't agree more. These people seem able to  find megabucks to buy their outfits but won't cough up a few quid to use them in a responsible manner.

Thats is so true.

8 hours ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

Lovely wee site down in Dunaverty in Southend nr the Mull of Kintyre. you could visit Ancell at Killiegruer or me even at Machrihanish.

Southend ! I remember watching Gannets there and camping with my mother and older brother, Rained in the night and we woke up with a stream running through the tent! Had to sleep in the triumph Herald!!! 53 years ago !:D:D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Mull's got too crowded now, at least in main season.

Used to go to Mull regularly as crew in the many races on the west coast that always had a days racing in Tobermory bay. I suspect the race committees just wanted the night life in the Mishnish!http://themishnish. co. uk/

You can hire a boat for fishing in the harbour fresh mackerel taste to die for.

There is a Spanish treasure ship in the bay-somewhere-not found yet.

A great day out.

Buy an all inclusive ticket for the Oban ferry Oban-Mull-Fingalls Cave-Iona all in one day!

10. 30am ferry from Oban to Craignish bus down to Fionnphort-sea eagles regularly soar the cliffs right beside the road 2. 3 metre wing span.

Fishing boat to Fingalls cave it’s always a 10 foot swell when I’ve been-avoid bacon for breakfast-definitely not for the faint hearted.

On to Iona the most painted and photographed beach in the UK?

Great wee cafe on the way to the beach

https://visitmullandiona. co. uk/listings/the-marble-quarry/

Back to Fionnphort by proper ferry back to Craignure  by bus then back on the Oban ferry

I had the privilege in doing it in an ex tank busting fully aerobatic helicopter.

But that’s another story typical of the west coast and its wonderful people.

4 hours ago, ianfish said:

Southend ! I remember watching Gannets there and camping with my mother and older brother, Rained in the night and we woke up with a stream running through the tent! Had to sleep in the triumph Herald!!! 53 years ago !:D:D

I used to visit HMS Fulmar aka Royal Naval Air Station Lossiemouth in then 1960s where I was able watch Gannets flying in and out of Lossie. Couldn't find that species in my Observer's Book of UK birds. Probably because they were made by Fairey Aviation. ;):rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Dunavarty beach on my last cycle ride down to Southend. ....

20180706_132031.jpg

Mr. Ancel, re your link to Iona marble quarry. I have tried to visit this quarry several times but can't find a boat /man to take me. Walking for me is a no no.   Thought about asking the local farmer to hire me his tractor but he might have refused lest I got stuck in the bog (which I can't understand isn't drained ).

Why should I be so interested in this quarry? Well, apart from a general interest in quarries (from my dad), I did B&B for a night in Fionnphort. I read a book in the B&B on the history of the quarry. Low & behold, as your post states, the work was so arduous that they had to get Men from FIFE to staff it !!!!!!

There is also remains of a Red Granite quarry just up from Fionnphort. On my last visit, I could see the old rails & hutches used to take rock to waiting ships---right opposite an island where they say St. Columba dumped all his burds who wouldn't do what they were told---Aye, that was before the Snowflake generation took over.

Also in this quarry was an old  navvy, complete with a Gardner diesel engine---obviously the showmen didn't know it was there.

Obviously owned by people who know the price of everything but the value of nothing !!!!

15 hours ago, blondchaser said:

Mr. Ancel, re your link to Iona marble quarry. I have tried to visit this quarry several times but can't find a boat /man to take me. Walking for me is a no no.   Thought about asking the local farmer to hire me his tractor but he might have refused lest I got stuck in the bog (which I can't understand isn't drained ).

Why should I be so interested in this quarry? Well, apart from a general interest in quarries (from my dad), I did B&B for a night in Fionnphort. I read a book in the B&B on the history of the quarry. Low & behold, as your post states, the work was so arduous that they had to get Men from FIFE to staff it !!!!!!

There is also remains of a Red Granite quarry just up from Fionnphort. On my last visit, I could see the old rails & hutches used to take rock to waiting ships---right opposite an island where they say St. Columba dumped all his burds who wouldn't do what they were told---Aye, that was before the Snowflake generation took over.

Also in this quarry was an old  navvy, complete with a Gardner diesel engine---obviously the showmen didn't know it was there.

Obviously owned by people who know the price of everything but the value of nothing !!!!

Fascinating post blondchaser will do some research just dashing to the airport.

Thank goodness bluebadge holders do nt pay airport parking fees-well I never have😀

10 minutes ago, ancell said:

Fascinating post blondchaser will do some research just dashing to the airport.

Thank goodness bluebadge holders do nt pay airport parking fees-well I never have😀

Picked Wee Bro from Edinburgh Airport . . Through the barrier parked the car picked Bro up back in the car and back to the barrier . Lucky if I was 8 minutes. £7 Squid !!! Not a bad money maker. ... 

GAS . ..

What's needed urgently is for the Scottish Tourist office to produce thousands of leaflets to warn those who cross the border from the south about the hazards of the "Wee Beasties" and the "Ticks" from sheep and deer. Oh not forgetting the nests of "Adders".  That combined with singing the praises of Cornwall and Devon should greatly reduce the influx of tourists from down south.   Leaving Scotland for the serious  outdoor sports enthusiasts and of course, for the Scots themselves to enjoy. .

3 hours ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

Picked Wee Bro from Edinburgh Airport . . Through the barrier parked the car picked Bro up back in the car and back to the barrier . Lucky if I was 8 minutes. £7 Squid !!! Not a bad money maker. ... 

GAS . ..

Long stay-short stay-drop off-they are all the same to me I just approach the exit barrier press the intercom state “blue badge holder” open sesame!

Except today!

Only one barrier working at the drop off so I paid £2.

The £2 missed the basket and rolled under the car😀