ericfield

Look out Scotland....more coming your way next year!

I have news for the doomsters.

Scotland will continue to be THE last wilderness in Europe!

Just visit the wilds of Torridon and watch the satellites zoom across the vast black heavens or get yourself to Rannoch Moor-it’s empty majestic and vast.

Take a trip up the north west A835 perhaps you might see a dozen vehicles as you travel that empty cleared interior of 200 years ago.

Or go down Kintyre or along the A98 dropping off at gems like Crovie Pennan and Gardenstown.

The tourists stick to Lonely Planet etc honey pot locations and leave us knowledgeable Scots to enjoy our stunning beautiful country.

Another example Edinburgh fortunately only consists of The Royal Mile and Princes Street for the majority of tourists.

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more. These people seem able to  find megabucks to buy their outfits but won't cough up a few quid to use them in a responsible manner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Isn't this the same issue that Spain and Morocco ( and maybe other places ) had  so that now motorhomes are " moved on " and the "no overnight parking  signs" have appeared. Good thing too.

The Scottish Tourist Board doesn't seem to have promoted things in a balanced way - the NC500 is creating a boom in vehicular traffic and motorhome hire but there's little or no increase in accommodation or camp sites.

I'm just glad I saw the Highlands and Islands before the masses got there.

• Like 1

I'm very much looking forward to touring beautiful Scotland next year towing our Coachman with an Alltrack Passat.  I'll be staying on proper caravan sites and I'll be paying my way and buying a few bottled souvenirs to aid the economy.  Can't wait!   :)

John.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Leedslad said:

I'm very much looking forward to touring beautiful Scotland next year towing our Coachman with an Alltrack Passat.  I'll be staying on proper caravan sites and I'll be paying my way and buying a few bottled souvenirs to aid the economy.  Can't wait!   :)

John.  

Which parts are you planning to visit?

If you can avoid the honeypots, there is still plenty of beauty and grandeur as that doesn't change.

We spent 3 weeks based near Tain in 2017, there seemed to be motorhomes abandoned  parked all over the place. One layby near Ullapool looked like a traveller site, a tiny village was inundated at around 7pm with them looking for somewhere to "camp" overnight. We even saw one parked in a passing place on a single track road! The owner of the site we were on told us that he would not take bookings for them for less than 4 nights as all they wanted to do was use the showers, fill their fresh water tank and empty their waste tanks, his policy seemed to work as none came onto the site while we were there. By the way I have nothing against motorhomers in general, just the ones who are irresponsible in their quest for a "cheap" holiday. Waiting patiently for replies.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Flat_at
I have fat fingers which sometimes do as they please
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Leedslad said:

John.  

Don’t forget to turn left at Gretna.  The south west has so much to explore as well as “up north”

I can recommend Garlieston for a start to your tour.

IMHO experienced MH owners are fairly responsible in that they drive at a decent speed and park at the sites. The main problem today is the numpties who hire these vans and have no experience of etty ketty in relation to anything to do with mobile accommodation or other road users.

Can we call them the "effluent" society.

Maybe we caravanners ought to start wild camping then we could get all the caravan sites to shut and that will take the unemployment total sky high seems to me that a lot of these motorhomers are just plain selfish and do not want to put there hands in there pockets but will be the first to complain if it all goes tits up , maybe the cl/cs owners should start charging motorhomes not using there sites for use of the facilities the one's we have spoken too do not seem to earn a lot out of there site anyway so could be more income for them and as for those that shop at supermarkets, when the local shops close down you will be the first to moan and I speak from experience as we live in a village where this has happened not brought on by us though   can't beat local produce .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Coachman said:

Don’t forget to turn left at Gretna.  The south west has so much to explore as well as “up north”

I can recommend Garlieston for a start to your tour.

👍

An unspoilt location nice pub in the village serving good traditional meals or fish&chips on site at the weekend-tip get your order in early they sell out!

Make sure you have a full gas bottle for the Easter weekend as the EHU tend to give up due to everyone using the electric for heating!

Make sure you visit the Mulberry Harbour remains.

Getting back to heavily (over)used honey pots in the highlands just go somewhere else in the vastness north of Perth.

We have spent 8-12 weeks caravanning/camping every year in our native Scotland for 50 years-still not bored with our magnificent scenery eg a mere 1 hour drive for us-The Trossachs.

9 minutes ago, ancell said:

👍

An unspoilt location nice pub in the village serving good traditional meals or fish&chips on site at the weekend-tip get your order in early they sell out!

Make sure you have a full gas bottle for the Easter weekend as the EHU tend to give up due to everyone using the electric for heating!

Make sure you visit the Mulberry Harbour remains.

Getting back to heavily (over)used honey pots in the highlands just go somewhere else in the vastness north of Perth.

We have spent 8-12 weeks caravanning/camping every year in our native Scotland for 50 years-still not bored with our magnificent scenery eg a mere 1 hour drive for us-The Trossachs.

At the risk of preaching to the converted, there's still issues north of Perth - Skye gets more visitors than accomodation and the NC500 has its issues. There are a number of other scenic/tourist routes, eg The Snow Roads and The Borders 500 which should spread the load a bit.

15 hours ago, Flat_at said:

We spent 3 weeks based near Tain in 2017, there seemed to be motorhomes abandoned  parked all over the place. One layby near Ullapool looked like a traveller site, a tiny village was inundated at around 7pm with them looking for somewhere to "camp" overnight. We even saw one parked in a passing place on a single track road! The owner of the site we were on told us that he would not take bookings for them for less than 4 nights as all they wanted to do was use the showers, fill their fresh water tank and empty their waste tanks, his policy seemed to work as none came onto the site while we were there. By the way I have nothing against motorhomers in general, just the ones who are irresponsible in their quest for a "cheap" holiday. Waiting patiently for replies.  :rolleyes:

Obviously site owners are quite entitled to make minimum stay requirements, but these people will dump their waste somewhere.   I have seen it on beaches, brooks, waste land, hedges and so on.   The Highland Council needs to make provision like the French do where waste can be dumped for a fee and fresh water taken on.   Otherwise the locals will suffer increasing problems.   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rovinmad said:

Obviously site owners are quite entitled to make minimum stay requirements, but these people will dump their waste somewhere.   I have seen it on beaches, brooks, waste land, hedges and so on.   The Highland Council needs to make provision like the French do where waste can be dumped for a fee and fresh water taken on.   Otherwise the locals will suffer increasing problems.   

They do on some of the Islands - rubbish disposal, fresh water, toilets and showers at a number of ferry slipways.

17 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

The Scottish Tourist Board doesn't seem to have promoted things in a balanced way - the NC500 is creating a boom in vehicular traffic and motorhome hire but there's little or no increase in accommodation or camp sites.

The local councils plans to close many public toilets will no doubt make matters worse for the expected further increase in the number of tourists. If you want a common sense and logical approach to any problem do not rely on politicians. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

I was on the "race track " a few months ago for 6 weeks and the locals and shop owners are very unhappy with the traffic which I witnessed myself of high powered cars driving through 30 mph high streets at 60 mph . My thoughts was it needs speed cameras and the revenue should be used to pay for the maintenance of the roads as it is clear the roads are wearing out with the NC500 being such an attraction to the motorhome and high power vehicle hire and high volume of traffic .

The last I read was there was calls for motorhomes to only stay 2 nights as the main beauty stops cause so much traffic and over crowd parking . Skye IMO will need visting visas as the tourists numbers cause policing issues .

Dave

NC 500 indeed, give a road or route a stupid name and watch the sheeple flock to it. :angry:

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

They do on some of the Islands - rubbish disposal, fresh water, toilets and showers at a number of ferry slipways.

True, I've seen some.   But from what I've heard there's no provision for the NC500.   Just giving it a name like that makes it sound like a race and will attract your Hooray Henry types who don't give a toss about problems they leave behind.

• Like 1

Went to the Highlands way back at end of June 1993.   Camped on Loch Ness (the north side).  Fantastic place and the scenery is to die for.   I've visited a lot of Europe and the west coast of the USA including the Grand Canyon, Death Valley and other deserts, and I've always said that the Highlands of Scotland are the most scenic place on the planet (although would love to see the Himalayas).  I'm looking at going back next year and go in mid-May, and staying in area before getting to Fort William area

7 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

At the risk of preaching to the converted, there's still issues north of Perth - Skye gets more visitors than accomodation and the NC500 has its issues. There are a number of other scenic/tourist routes, eg The Snow Roads and The Borders 500 which should spread the load a bit.

A cracking winter drive is up to Loch Tay via the A85 drive half way along the north shore the north over the mountain pass into 18 mile long glorious Glen Lyon.

Clad in its blanket of winter snow Ben Lawers is stunning in the low winter sun.

Watch out for the road conditions the pass can be treacherous 4x4s have a definite advantage.

Lanark Valley looks gorgeous just now in its autumn leaf plumage plenty of excellent places to eat down there.

Do not forget The Bruce cafe in Lanark.

Regarding the Highland Honey Pots they will go the way of other world tourist destinations and be run by and populated by

1 hotel owners

2 tourists

Just like my beloved mature student haunts in Edinburgh-The Grassmarket-The Royal Mile Marchmont flats Surgeons Hall  my old folk singing haunts now selling martini s and sushi instead of pies bridies and beer.

23 hours ago, Blackhart said:

Also if you look at the motorhome forums you will see advice to get their fuel in Inverness at the big supermarkets and to stock up with groceries there to avoid the high price they would have to pay locally around the route - as we do every day!

We love to have visitors up here, but we want them to put a little back into the local economy, isn't that reasonable?

I could not agree more, I think we all have a social duty to support local shops & services when visiting an area and not just deposit waste. No flack from me.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, PaulR said:

I could not agree more, I think we all have a social duty to support local shops & services when visiting an area and not just deposit waste. No flack from me.

Parallel with what we found in France. .......25 motorhomes had taken over a public car park and once a week a  motorhome went out to Quimper to get a weeks provisions for all. ..they bought nothing from the local butchers,bakers and cafe.

geoff

Edited by shipbroker

Their loss Geoff, every bit as much as the local traders.

Jim