A-FRAME FAIRING PLUG PARKING SOCKET/S

CarlH

Our 2007 Swift "Charisma 535"  caravan pre-dates (by 2 years) the  now long-established single 13-pin connection lead and plug.

To suit our towcar this caravan has been "converted" from the original "twin electrics" (2 x 7-pin plugs) to the standard 13-pin plug.

I can't park this plug in either of the parking sockets fixed into the top surface of the A-frame fairing because they are too small.

I would like to blank one of the sockets off (easy) and enlarge the hole in the top of fairing, if necessary, to take a single parking socket for the 13-pin plug. This would not be too difficult a job, though it means removing the fairing (fiddly but straightforward).

However, all my search attempts to find a source for a white fairing-top-mounted parking socket for a 13-pin plug have been unsuccessful.

This socket does not appear to be manufacturer-specific. Swift, for example, will supply a new fairing, but minus the parking socket/s. And they do not seem to list either the smaller one for a 7-pin plug or the now-standard larger one for a 13-pin plug.

I don't want to fit a Maypole-type "pin alignment" parking socket because this means engaging the pins of the plug into corresponding tubes in the parking socket. So this socket could not be mounted up-facing on  the top of the fairing. Water would get into it, at least when the plug was parked in it, so I would have to fit the hitch cover whenever the caravan was parked. The original parking sockets have drain holes, and grip the outside of the plug casing rather than using pin-to-tube engagement.

Does anyone know where I can buy a 13-pin plug parking socket of the type fitted now fitted by caravan manufacturers as OEM?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Why not drill a small hole in the bottom of the green gap and then mount over the top of one of the holes that already exist. If I'm honest my a frame has the sockets to plug the lead into but I never use it, just plug it into the green socket and wrap around the jockey to hold in place.  

I did use the standard plug parking sockets while we had "twin electrics", and found them very convenient.  

So I'm still hoping for advice on where I could buy a 13-pin plug parking socket  to replace one of  the 7-pin ones on the top of my caravan's A-frame fairing.

I don't tend to use the parking sockets and just wrap the cables around the draw bar and let the plug hang down so that it doesn't fill with water, then put a cover over the lot.  No worries!   :)

John.

I stopped using the fairing sockets some time ago since the plugs/pins seemed to get dirty/green algae on them. Now we use a ruck sack liner, put the plug/cable in to it and it then pulls over the hitch/hitchlock keeping everything clean. The open end is held tight against the gaiter with an elastic luggage strap tied in a loop.  https://www. ebay. ie/itm/Cumulus-Waterproof-Dry-Bag-18-Litre-Camping-Sailing-Kayaking-Cycling-/182804451980

If you look in the green Maypole-type "pin alignment" parking socket, you'll see that there is a black sealing ring at the bottom which, when the van's 13 pin plug is fully plugged in to it, makes it watertight.   I converted our previous van to a 13 pin plug and mounted one of these green sockets on the side of the fairing to store the 13 pin plug.   It was out in all weathers for a couple of years without any problems.

3 hours ago, Jiffy176 said:

… my a frame has the sockets to plug the lead into but I never use it, just plug it into the green socket and wrap around the jockey to hold in place.  

+1

John

Hi,

My last caravan was a 2008 Sterling and had twin electrics which I converted to single 13 pin electrics.  I obtained a replacement socket from a Swift dealer who ordered it for me.  Cannot remember how much but not a lot.  Worked very well for about six years before we changed the caravan.

Dave

10 second search brings up this:-

https://www. leisureshopdirect. com/chassis/electric/towing-plugs-and-sockets/13-pin-plug-holder-plastic

Personally I just use the standard green cover and hang the cable over the hitch.

John.

I converted my caravan to 13 pin only over three years ago when I changed cars.  I couldn’t be bothered with all the fuss using converter leads etc.

As for parking the socket, my A frame already had two different sizes receptors so the plug can be parked if required.

1 hour ago, The Coachman said:

As for parking the socket, my A frame already had two different sizes receptors so the plug can be parked if required.

It has been said that using the A-frame holder is the major cause of widespread 13-pin plug misalignment problems.

John

Articles on 13 pin connector problems always indicate that using the “parking” receptacles for housing the 13 pin plug is the most common cause of misalignement issues.

Just wrap mine around the jockey wheel and under the hitch cover.

4 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

Articles on 13 pin connector problems always indicate that using the “parking” receptacles for housing the 13 pin plug is the most common cause of misalignement issues.

Just wrap mine around the jockey wheel and under the hitch cover.

Wot I said :D

John

Just give the 13 pin plug a quick spray with silicon spray, fit the green alignment cap and lay it on the faring under the hitch cover. Never had a problem since I've had 13 pin plugs fitted. Never used the parking sockets, either the old 7 pin or the newer 13 pin type.

On 22/10/2018 at 12:08, Jiffy176 said:

. ... If I'm honest my a frame has the sockets to plug the lead into but I never use it, just plug it into the green socket and wrap around the jockey to hold in place.  

Me too.

I don't know if it helps but when I converted my previous 12n/12s to 13pin I used a large spring steel tool clip bolted to the side of the A frame cover.   A bit make do and mend but effective.   Sorry I don't have a photo.  

Or google Alko 13 pin plug holder.   From about £5 on ebay.  

I just stick the green cap on the end, put it in a plastic bag with some rubber bands round it, hide it under the fairing, and then put the hitch cover on.

Not particularly useful for the OP since he/she is only looking for a parking dock, and probably not really interested in our own peculiar solutions. And even though a £6 solution has already been identified there are still a few members banging on about what they do.

Love it :ph34r:

1 hour ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

I just stick the green cap on the end, put it in a plastic bag with some rubber bands round it, hide it under the fairing, and then put the hitch cover on.

Not particularly useful for the OP since he/she is only looking for a parking dock, and probably not really interested in our own peculiar solutions. And even though a £6 solution has already been identified there are still a few members banging on about what they do.

Love it :ph34r:

Isn't the platic bag and rubber bands superfluous to reqirements as the green cap has a rubber seal making it waterproof?

John

Actually, I was joking and don't use a plastic bag and rubber bands.

However, unless your 13 pin plug is very tightly fitted to its cable then the green cap and rubber seal won't make it waterproof.