Sign in to follow this  
Durbanite

Faulty regulator

On 29th Sept parked up the caravan in storage yard.   On 10th Oct we got a notification from Phantom Tracker that battery was low.   On visiting caravan we found we had left the 12v switch on so switched it off.   Yesterday we went to the caravan to find that the battery was completely flat.

I checked the graph for charging that is available on the Phantom website and it showed that the battery charging was working perfectly until about 10th Oct.   One can see the peaks and the lows indicating charging okay.   However from 10th Oct it continued downward but as we had assumed the error was with the 12v switch being on, we never checked again until yesterday.

I also noticed that the green light on the 12v Truma solar panel regulator was no longer on indicating that the regulator was no longer functioning.   I am assuming the green light indicates the voltage coming into the regulator and not the voltage going out.   If this is correct it seems that the solar panel regulator has gone faulty with the result the battery which is less than a year old maybe knackered permanently.   Luckily if the regulator is faulty I should hopefully be able to claim for new battery.

I, and at least one other, have posted a similar problem in the Bailey section.

I have yet to follow up but it would seem. .

Leaving the 12v switch on causes battery drain which the panel is unable to compensate.

When the battery voltage drops too low the solar regulator goes to sleep wit no lights showing.

Recharging the battery (hopefully) restarts the solar charger.

As my caravan is in storage I will be removing the battery for charging next week (after verifying there is a voltage output from the panel into the regulator) and will give an update on the Bailey thread.

Solar panels only work while the sun is out . In the winter months and the sun is low they can drop to 5% .

What was the weather like on the 10 th Oct .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

2 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Solar panels only work while the sun is out . In the winter months and the sun is low they can drop to 5% .

What was the weather like on the 10 th Oct .

Dave

I think they call them solar panels as they only work when the sun is out?  LOL! :D  I did say I had left the 12v on, but I would think that the solar panel should have been able to re-charge a battery that was down to 10. 5v otherwise what would people do if going off grid?  Looking at the graph it showed a steady decline from 10th Oct and we have had some very sunny days in Worcestershire since.   Seems strange that if it drops down to 10. 5v the system will shut down.

On a previous caravan we had a 120w panel and the controller definitely charged the battery even if it had dropped down to 9v.   It was not a Truma controller.

Same happened to me 

goosed the battery as it fell to 3v 

Luckily had spare battery so swapped it straight away. Solar panel working well again 

I have updated my post on the Bailey thread with diagnostic details.

Essentially looks likely to be a faulty solar panel.

Clive