daveat92

Cars and vans parked in caravan bays in motorway services

Why is it some folks in cars and vans feel it's OK to park in the caravan bays on motorway service stations?

Yesterday I headed for the caravan bays area to find at least half the bays blocked by cars and vans. The nearby car and vans bays had loads of room, but I couldn't use them due the difficulty of manoeuvring in and out.

Greer!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

Why is it some folks in cars and vans feel it's OK to park in the caravan bays

Me! Me! Me!   They don't give a toss about anyone else.

• Like 3

At Wetherby there is someone who comes along and asks them to move.

geoff

• Like 1

And sometimes caravan park in the hgv parking leaving no where for them to go to. Yes life sucks.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Sometimes the signs are awful! Frequently no indication of whether something like a transit should be with cars or HGVs.

At Gloucester Services the other day the Caravan parking was full (and I mean FULL) of Motorhomes … I had to continue through the services and back onto the M5.   This is despite the signs clearly stating that the parking is for 'Caravans'.

image.thumb.png.b9fbbce81135b0222c91d334f21d3868.png

Whilst looking on StreetView for the above pic, I also spotted the Caravan parking area on the Northbound side …

image.png.581f73aea14f19e348019d59e9857cb4.png

… say no more !

John

They just drive in without looking at the sign which sometimes is obscured or none existent. but hey ho that the way it is no stress.

Is there a separate parking area for motorhomes as well there at Gloucester ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

At Gloucester Services the other day the Caravan parking was full (and I mean FULL) of Motorhomes … I had to continue through the services and back onto the M5.   This is despite the signs clearly stating that the parking is for 'Caravans'.

Whilst looking on StreetView for the above pic, I also spotted the Caravan parking area on the Northbound side …

… say no more !

John

So where did it say MH parking area is because the sign only shows caravans and where would a motorhome or RV park possibly towing a car ?  Majority Services I have seen don't clearly mark where the designated areas and bays are . A few times I have parked in empty coach bays as the services are full .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Ive stopped at Donnington North services quite a few times, has about 8 dedicated caravan bays, often there are Lorries  & car transporters & also cars in the bay's. I find it really annoying. Coach bays say 'Coaches Only' if you park in one of them you're likely to get a ticket.  

Come on service stations, get your parking sorted out!!

I guess legally the signs mean nothing as it is a private business not a public owned space.

• Like 2

Some seem to think caravans should park in the HGV area bays due to their length which is stupid to expect families with young children should be passing between moving heavy lorries . Then you find if you try and get fuel then you are herded into the fuel station lorry section with the fast delivery pumps with the large nozzles that don't fit cars which means driving on. Caravans and motorhomes are totally ignored at some services but it is getting better with new services catering for us .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

On the few times I have looked at the caravan parking bays, I find they are not big enough.

Now we head straight for the HGV parking.

Cliff

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cliff&Jackie said:

On the few times I have looked at the caravan parking bays, I find they are not big enough.

Cliff

A bit selfish, hgv drivers legally have to stop your just out on a jolly and you could be stopping an hgv getting their legal break in .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

… say no more !

John

Without a separate parking area for motorhomes, they're just motor caravans - where else should they park?

The "caravan parking" should also be used by vehicles with trailers!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Cliff&Jackie said:

I wouldn't because a ) it's marked for HGVs, b ) it usually stinks, and c ) you've often passed the entrance on your way to the caravan area and can't get back (as is the case at Gloucester southbound).

John

• Like 1

Motorhomes have always used caravan bays at services here and all over the continent, where else are they supposed to go?  I have always accepted it as the norm.

At Gloucester it is not possible to go back into the hgv, but you can try the car park, if there is a lot of room towards the back I put it across 4 parking places.  

Clackets lane is is a good example of people doing that as the caravan parking is totally inadequate.

John

• Like 1

I stopped at Moto Tamworth on the way home from N. Wales. .. the only place to park there was in the lorry park which was very busy (weekday lunch time) - plenty of spaces between the lorries though.  

I drove round twice looking for designated caravan parking before deciding the limited signage did indeed indicate the lorry park.  There was a small handful of other car/trailer outfits parked amongst the artics.  

The only 'dodgy' parking I saw there was in the 'Buses/Coaches Only' area And watching a Morrison's artic reverse across our front and into the bay next to us was an interesting moment but had did it in a single manoeuvre.  Made some of my shenanigans with the caravan look comical in comparison.

23 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Without a separate parking area for motorhomes, they're just motor caravans - where else should they park?

The "caravan parking" should also be used by vehicles with trailers!

Exactly. Sub 3500kg vehicles towing trailers (cars pulling boats, vans with trailers etc) plus motorhomes are uncatered for. UK motorway services parking for anything that isn’t a car or a HGV is a poorly signed  and laid out lottery.

I'm not sure that either the public at large or the motorway service signs writers at particularly aware or bothered about the difference between caravans and motor homes.

Indeed even the name of the well known club conflates the names ;) 

The quality and readability of signs in the services areas (where they are displayed) is dreadful, is it Moto that have the green triangle on their signs ? they are dreadful! 

Edited by jetA1

I don’t think the service areas have to provide specific parking for caravans or motorhomes. I thought they only had to provide a rest area free of charge for a fixed time when they get permission to build and run these services.

1 hour ago, Hairyspinner said:

Ive stopped at Donnington North services quite a few times, has about 8 dedicated caravan bays, often there are Lorries  & car transporters & also cars in the bay's. I find it really annoying. Coach bays say 'Coaches Only' if you park in one of them you're likely to get a ticket.  

Come on service stations, get your parking sorted out!!

Correction they cannot issue you with a "ticket".  All they can do is issue you with an invoice inviting you to give them some money.   :)

I wonder what % of people who stop at the services just use the toilets etc but don’t spend any money ? 

3 minutes ago, Odd days said:

I wonder what % of people who stop at the services just use the toilets etc but don’t spend any money ? 

We are in that percentage as avoid spending money in services due to high costs of goods.   However generally we use the toilet in the caravan anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Odd days said:

Quite a lot but under the terms and conditions of motorway services operation, they are fully entitled to do just that. ..

Under the terms of their leases, motorway services must provide free short-term parking (2 hours), free 24-hour toilet facilities, and adequate provision for the sale of food and fuel 24 hours a day.