The Coachman

Nice to have a “Handy” neighbour

Previously I always removed my TV when travelling but mid season last year I decided to leave it in place and secure it for transit with bungee type ropes.

Since then I’ve experienced no problems but I wanted a proper type cover to hide the TV when it’s sitting on my driveway.

Step forward my neighbour who was a seamstress before retiring so she offered to make something up for me.

I purchased some material as close to the colour of caravan cushions from Dunelm Mill and today Ann came along with the finished work.

I’m delighted with it as she even put some piping onto the edges making it a proper job, well done Ann, and thanks.

Here’s a photo of the cover attached.

BD2A3C4D-401D-4B9C-8B52-AAED4FAB24AC.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Coachman said:

… I wanted a proper type cover to hide the TV when it’s sitting on my driveway.

Very professional work by your neighbour, TC … but TBH though, it's still pretty obviously a TV under there, don't you think?

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

Very professional work by your neighbour, TC … but TBH though, it's still pretty obviously a TV under there, don't you think?

John

No, it could be a magnetic tea tray being stored vertical. ....

In all honesty it doesnt fool anyone and to be fair, TV's arent that attractive to a thief nowadays, theyre relatively cheap and thus worth nothing if 'hot'

Are the fixings to the van's walls of these mounted TVs strong enough for in transit use, even before adding a bit more mass to them? 

We have never had a van with a wall mounted TV.

I recall looking at one that had a lift-off wedge type mount and assumed therefore it was intended they should be removed in transit, either for structural reasons or to better damp them from vibration.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, JTQ said:

Are the fixings to the van's walls of these mounted TVs strong enough for in transit use, even before adding a bit more mass to them? 

We have never had a van with a wall mounted TV.

I recall looking at one that had a lift-off wedge type mount and assumed therefore it was intended they should be removed in transit, either for structural reasons or to better damp them from vibration.

:goodpost:Although the cover looks really good JTQ makes a very valid point.  

Looks a neat job and should keep the dust off as well. We have a slightly different approach. we carry a TV on all our 120 nights away each year. We too have a cover that I sewed, no piped edges though. Ours is kept on a shelf in a similarly placed cupboard to OP's piccy. Why we carry it for 120 days away I have no idea. It sits in the cupboard all year and is used only on Christmas Eve, Boxing Day and Christmas Day for a total of about 7 hours :rolleyes:

Thanks for your comments, yes I realise you still know it’s a TV, but I just felt it looked much nicer covered up in transit & in storage.

The swivel bracket itself was fitted by myself and it has a large metal plate on the inside of the wooden panel which houses the flue.

I tested it on a few trips to see if it was ok with the TV still mounted with one shorter trip without any bungee restraint and it remained firm in place.

On site its one thing less to faff about with getting it all connected up as the “boss” likes her telly to watch the soaps.  

The swivel mount is great as it frees off the worktop and can be swiveled round to the side dinette position or if “I get the chance “ to watch the telly whilst cooking.

I would be wary of this setup, as the weight of the TV and attendant vibrations are magnified by large amounts when subjected to the inertia created by bouncing up and down in transit. IMHO a better solution would be to store the TV in it's fancy cover under a seat where it is out of sight for better weight distribution and less subject to vibration effects, and  zero stresses and strains on the bracket.

We disguise our TV  as a caravan and so far it's not been nicked. Works for us!

vangif.gif.af502042b906dcb36e318069b5dfa878.gif

I wouldn’t worry too much about the weight, coachman says he has spreader plate and I’ve got a double arm with a 21” iMac and a 21” tv on it which is permanently mounted and shows no signs of pulling the van apart.  

On 21/10/2018 at 12:18, The Coachman said:

Thanks for your comments, yes I realise you still know it’s a TV, but I just felt it looked much nicer covered up in transit & in storage.

Who sees it LOL :lol:

Much easier to have one of these and remove it when in transit https://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/VISION-PLUS-STATUS-QUICK-RELEASE-TV-BRACKET-IDEAL-FOR-CARAVAN-BOAT-MOTORHOME/222526330287?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872. m2749. l2649

putting the TV in a padded storage bag where it's much safer :ph34r:

I used to do the same but it now suits this van to have a freestanding TV.  Like the OP I used bungees for traveling.  The bungees took most of the strain so no problems there.

This year I had a new problem.

Over winter the TV was stored in an Avtex bag on the bed.  On the first outing the screen looked fuzzy from certain angles.  I worked out that this was condensation in the screen itself.  It disappeared after about 3 days of evening use.

In case this might cause harm over time I now store it at home in colder weather.

John