Aerial advice

Got coachman Amara had 10 years from new just starting to tow. Found last couple of times struggled to get tv reception and on out last visit none despite caravan site reception bing good.  

The van van is fitted with a vision status 530 analogue/digital that is no longer made. Can someone advise 

should I replace would this improve and if so what should we go for? 

Thank you

Edited by Primerablack11

Thanks joanie.  

The box was switch on. The tv just flashed no signal. Should I retune the tv regsrdless

Please dont one think I’m stupid!! 

Retune first. ..aerial always the same for analogue/digital. ...is it one that can be turned on its side. ...i. e go from horizontal to vertical polarity?? . ..some transmissions require a change. Or is it fixed.

geoff

• Like 1

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

If you get one of these, all doubts can be banished and set up is easy.

Most Avtex TVs lock at about 72dBuV on the scale.

It's £25 but money well spent. Useful at home of course too.

image.png.49ee1b138b49ac2583092e3049a16497.png

. .....still feel like that some days. :) But not when D4 is hooked up to Commodore.

6 minutes ago, Primerablack11 said:

Thanks joanie.  

The box was switch on. The tv just flashed no signal. Should I retune the tv regsrdless

Primerablack, no-one here's going to think you're stupid!

You will definitely need to retune every time you tow to a new location.

Not sure if that type of aerial is directional or omnidirectional, ie is it 'pointy' or 'flying saucer' shaped.

If it's directional, then you need look at other aerials in the area, especially fixed ones on local houses to get an idea of where the local mast is. And also take note if they are horizontal or vertical.

If there's no other aerials visible locally, then use this TV mast finder and enter the postcode of the site and tick 'detailed view', then use a compass to point at the neartest aerial, and align H or V as appropriate.

If it's omnidirectional there's nothing you can do about alignment, but they do say that these type have been pretty good since the switchover to digital TV (flipping usless previous to that!).

Good luck, John.

PS, assuming you've been on a seasonal pitch over the last 10 years, what reception have you had previously?

And this is the Teleco Teleplus X2 which we find excellent.

image.png.a88347ff26d4d1d606175544f867259d.png

. .....still feel like that some days. :) But not when D4 is hooked up to Commodore.

As said,

you will definitely need to retune every time you tow to a new location,  good advice however its quite often forgotten :blush:

• Like 1

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

1 hour ago, shipbroker said:

Retune first. ..aerial always the same for analogue/digital. ...is it one that can be turned on its side. ...i. e go from horizontal to vertical polarity?? . ..some transmissions require a change. Or is it fixed.

geoff

The status 530 aerial is a "directional" type aerial (as opposed to the old "omnidirectional" type).

It can be set to either Vertical or Horizontal polarity as required,

It also has a pair of horizontal "pull out" type antenna normally for radio reception although I never ever had cause to used them all the time I had the caravan.

Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

2 hours ago, Primerablack11 said:

Found last couple of times struggled to get tv reception and on out last visit none despite caravan site reception bing good.  

The van van is fitted with a vision status 530 analogue/digital that is no longer made. Can someone advise 

should I replace would this improve and if so what should we go for? 

Don't waste your money replacing the 530 it's still one of the best you can have!

On arrival at a new site, always check the direction of the wardens aerial and any nearby houses and note if the stickyout bits are vertical or horizontal.

Having set up yours as near to that as possible, you may be lucky and get a picture.   If nothing at all, don't panic, carry out a re-tune and all should be well!

Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

I second all that Vin Blanc has said.   Keep the 530 it's a good one.

Be aware that the amplifier box on these can fail (mine did on the last caravan).  Red light still showed good but no useful RF signals out!

By-passing the box may give good enough reception from the 530 log on its own on many sites (it did for me).

Manual tuning and watching the TV's built in metering is what I do, as I plan my visits and use the UK spectrum planners' tool in <detailed view> mode to get aerial pointing direction, polarity and frequencies.   http://www. digitaluk. co. uk/postcodechecker/ 

Putting in a part of the site name or 'caravan' often gets a more accurate prediction than postcode alone.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

19 hours ago, Primerablack11 said:

Thanks joanie.  

So how have you got on, any luck yet?  Even if you are only going 30 miles up the road to a new site, you still have to re-tune your TV .

Happy Days

1 hour ago, joanie said:

Even if you are only going 30 miles up the road to a new site, you still have to re-tune your TV .

Indeed, if I put TV on in my garden it gets BBC Yorkshire TV,if I go to nearest site about a mile away it picks up BBC NorthEast instead.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Thanks for all your help!! 

We've had the caravan at a pitch and store site which has ticked all the boxes!

We we are just realising life’s too short not to venture. .... 

We’ll try next time we are away

thx

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joanie said:

So how have you got on, any luck yet?  Even if you are only going 30 miles up the road to a new site, you still have to re-tune your TV .

Not necessarily so Joanie (and Shipbroker).  I get my signal from the Rowridge transmitter on the I. O. W.

If I were to travel 20 or 30 miles in any direction I would still more than likely receive the signal from the Rowridge transmitter so would therefore stand an excellent chance of picking up the signal without having to re-tune.

Always worth a try before re-tuning!

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

As already said the Status 530 is a good aerial, however I have had the "box" fail and needed to replace that. I replaced it with a Fringe unit.

If in a good signal area and knowing the aerial is pointing about in the right direction, and after a retune for that location's signals, you still can't lock onto any channels try this.

Forget connecting onto the "box" but couple the TV direct to the aerial. That might mean taking an extension coax lead.

If in that good signal area the system should work without the "box"; if it does without the box, but not with it then like mine your box has most likely gone kaput. And I know I was not the only one with a Status box failure, hence replacing it with the Fringe unit.

I use a mobile phone app called "Aerial Aligner" that gives an indication of the direction of surrounding transmitters and whether they are horizontal or vertical polarised. It may be of help to you.

Regards Dave

Volvo XC70 AWD & Lunar Clubman SB

http://wandering. me. uk/

1 minute ago, DaveMiller said:

I use a mobile phone app called "Aerial Aligner" that gives an indication of the direction of surrounding transmitters and whether they are horizontal or vertical polarised. It may be of help to you.

Excellent App Dave  

Les

14 minutes ago, DaveMiller said:

Same here.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

11 hours ago, Les Medes said:

If all fails get yourself an Avtex Twig Aerial ;)

Then you are guaranteed to get no signal.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2022 Buccaneer Cruiser registered in 2023.

On 22/10/2018 at 09:53, IanV8 said:

Then you are guaranteed to get no signal.

Ian

Best Aerial I have had in over 40 years of caravanning. when we change vans the Twig is coming with us and to be fitted on the new van, that's how good it is

Les

3 hours ago, Les Medes said:

Best Aerial I have had in over 40 years of caravanning. when we change vans the Twig is coming with us and to be fitted on the new van, that's how good it is

The exception that proves the rule?  Maybe just good, strong signals at all the sites you have been to with it?  If it were as good as you say, they would be fitted on many more caravans today than they are.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

I had the twig on my last coachman, absolute rubbish, constant pixilation problems and loss of signal. Brilliant for the radio.

Dealer gave me a good deal and fitted a status, end of tv reception problems.

Even Avtex have stopped making/supplying them.