Sign in to follow this  
RaCo

Last Caravan

Hello all.

Have just joined Caravan Talk after finding a fabulous post by Kiaboy (dated 4th Feb 2016) showing how to re-tension the large blind for the panoramic window on a Coachman VIP (2013/14 model). This was so helpful that I thought I'd delve further into the Caravan Talk forums, archives & community.

I recently upgraded from a 2003 Bailey Pageant Monarch (which has served me well) to a Coachman VIP 460 (2013 model). It will likely be my last caravan as I'm now just over 60 and am hoping it will do me for the next 10 years.

Look forward to chatting and learning from you.

RaCo 

:welcome: to Caravan Talk RaCo.

John

• Like 1

Is ther a reason why you envisage giving up caravanning at around 70.

I  know many caravanners who are turned 70, and some in their 80’s.

70th birthday for me next year, but no intention of giving up.

• Like 1

One rally we were on there were two couples under 70 and about 10 over,including two aged 88 and 92,

You will know when to pack in without putting an age on it.

geoff

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hp100425ev said:

I became 70 in 2000 and looking at my logbook, 2002 and 2003 were our busiest caravanning years.    Then, for instance, we did southern Spain around the middle of January, down to Rome and Pompeii during the summer, then back again to southern Spain in November.      Now I do much less.    Last year I settled for just 140 night away. ..:blink:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just turned 70 and bought a new Swift Conqueror 560 last year.

Last summer did the Caledonian Canal with LeBoat my crew were The Wife 72 with 30% right lung missing-me neuron disease no balance cannot walk without stick little muscle strength female age 65 artificial leg 94 year old female with vascular dementia and two able bodied 65 year olds.

It blew up in Loch Ness force 6 gusting 7 to gale with very tricky berthing in the only safe anchoridge Urquart Castle coped no problem-unlike the all male naval officer crew who ran their boat aground next to us-they were sober at the time😀

Just back from a 700 mile each way drive to our 10 day LeBoat hire on the Britanny canals equally decrepit crew had a great time and great weather.

Cannot see why we cannot caravan for another 10 years plus.

• Like 1

Packing in at 70??

I am 70 and only STARTED a few years ago !!

• Like 1

Packing in at 70 or come to that "planning" to do so at any age 5 let alone 10 years on, is IMO totally the wrong take on life.

To get the best out of this one off existence needs a much more positive stance. If we had planned to give up when we came 70 then a lot of our years would have been far emptier than they had been. Then I am sure the boredom, lethargy and our chairs would have taken us "off".

I suspect it is true that we will know come the time to give up, hopefully that's is still a few more years away.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RaCo said:

I recently upgraded from a 2003 Bailey Pageant Monarch (which has served me well) to a Coachman VIP 460 (2013 model). It will likely be my last caravan as I'm now just over 60 and am hoping it will do me for the next 10 years.

RaCo 

Famous last words ref caravan.   Life only starts at seventy so why are you planning to give it all up at 70?  :D

• Thanks 1

We are both 70, we started with caravans in 1974  & still enjoy our caravan holidays, but thinking about going to a Motor Home for 2019, hope to still carry on a lot longer yet.

P1020267.JPG

• Thanks 1

People are as old as they feel. Their physical and mental status is what it is. Some of us are younger than others and grateful to be so. I suspect some people are actually going to be active longer than they anticipate.  

• Like 1

At the risk of repeating the previous posts I am over 70 and have no intention of stopping until I have to. Realistically though the van I ordered this week will probably be the last. This year we have done 122 nights 7000 miles and 11 countries

• Like 2

My parents are in their 70s. This year they had to cancel their annual jaunt to the south of France while dad waited on a diagnosis. He still works full time as he's a farmer.

That diagnosis is now with us and it is not good. In the meantime they are making as many trips as they can (mostly within 60 miles but I suspect they will get to the Cotswolds too) and the caravan is having its busiest Autumn ever.

• Like 1

On 18/10/2018 at 18:15, RaCo said:

Hello all.

RaCo 

:welcome:don't write yourself off yet, who knows what the next 10 years will bring. If things get a bit tricky we improvise and we're always thankful for those on site and on this forum who give us tips on making things easier.    Looking around on site I would say that 60 is the new 40, well that's what it looks like to me :D

• Thanks 1

On 18/10/2018 at 19:32, hp100425ev said:

Hi HP100425ev (strange name?).  Thanks for your question. I too know many caravanners >70. If I'm still fit and well at 70 then I'll continue, but genetics in our family suggest the male side rarely sees 80. Hope I can buck the trend. ;)

Thanks @ancell.   Sounds like you have enjoyed your later years to the fullest, and with good company. There's hope for me yet! Maybe I had better revise my expectations . . . and be more positive in my outlook.

32 minutes ago, RaCo said:

Hi HP100425ev (strange name?).  Thanks for your question. I too know many caravanners >70. If I'm still fit and well at 70 then I'll continue, but genetics in our family suggest the male side rarely sees 80. Hope I can buck the trend. ;)

Thanks @ancell.   Sounds like you have enjoyed your later years to the fullest, and with good company. There's hope for me yet! Maybe I had better revise my expectations . . . and be more positive in my outlook.

My father in law died of a massive heart attack age 60 two weeks before his planned retirement.

The cause was a genetic weakness-his father died age 60.

His younger brother lived in dread of the same thing happening to him for 20 years until we went for a two week holiday to my winter haunt Gomera Valle Gran Rey.

He had such a good time he has never looked back.

Heard a report of him bowling round his neighbourhood in Edinburgh on his electric wheelchair trying to obtain a bottle of his favourite whisky-age 96!

We are on our third caravan since  we bought " the one which will last us out ". Knocking close to 80 but it's still not a major problem. Thank goodness for movers, Aldi heating and fully serviced pitches though 😀😀

• Like 1