IanV8

Repeat Prescription when abroad.

We always buy our Paracetamol & antihistamines from Aldi before we go, Paracetamol are 17p a packet .

8 hours ago, ValA said:

Paracetamol,  Aspirin,  Ibuprofen, etc are so much more expensive over the counter 'over there' than here, where we can buy 16 for 30 pence,  and they cost at least 5 euros 'over there'.  So are anti-histamines at 69p here and 4 or 5 euros over there.   So take 'over the counter' remedies with you, rather than buy them in France or Spain.  

Apaxiban (quoted above) is costed by NICE as follows: Apixaban costs £65. 90 for 2. 5 mg tablets and a 56-tablet pack costs £61. 50 for 5 mg tablets to the NHS. .  My tablets seem to cost the NHS somewhere between £2. 83 and £10. 06 but I paid 6 euros in France.  

I would add Ranitidine to the list.    If you need home treatment for indigestion or reflux, Tesco or Asda has them for less than £1 per packet.    If you need them in Spain, the pharmacist will sell you Zantac at 5 or 6 times UK price.

Interesting to read about the cost of Apixaban.    No wonder some surgeries are reluctant to transfer long-term Warfarin users to the newer drugs.    The average cost to the NHS for a user of Warfarin is just 0. 90p per month.

1 hour ago, Jaydug said:

I would add Ranitidine to the list.    If you need home treatment for indigestion or reflux, Tesco or Asda has them for less than £1 per packet.    If you need them in Spain, the pharmacist will sell you Zantac at 5 or 6 times UK price.

Interesting to read about the cost of Apixaban.    No wonder some surgeries are reluctant to transfer long-term Warfarin users to the newer drugs.    The average cost to the NHS for a user of Warfarin is just 0. 90p per month.

I've found Wilko is cheapest for Ranitidine.

My GP will issue a load of meds, but with separate prescriptions. So when I needed four months worth, he gave me two prescriptions for two months each. I had to collect them of separate days, but I went AFTER the second one was issued, so only one trip to the surgery needed.

16 hours ago, IanV8 said:

We are leaving this Friday for a 6 month trip to Portugal and Spain and as we both have regular prescriptions for medicine I asked the doctor if we could stock up before we went and was told no just order 10 days before you go, so ordered 3 lots of medication but the doctor only approved 1 lot, after a verbal complaint they have issued a second prescription but said we can’t have the third.  

A written complaint to the practice resulted in a reply that if we go away for more than 3 months we have to de register with the practice, register with a practice where we are staying and then re register with our own practice when we return.

Does anybody else have this problem?

Ian

ps if I stop posting you will know we did not get our meds.

I have since found that this is something that has only been introduced recently by someone in government with nothing better to do except to make your life miserable! 

I used to be able to get 8 injections at a time so only needed to visit the clinic to collect once every tow months now I have to visit the clinic every month.   The big issue here is that now I have no back up if an injection fails like what happened a couple of months ago.   Buying them if overseas is not an option due to the very high cost!

So much for trying to make things easier and also environmentally friendly as it now means using the vehicle for an extra "unnecessary" journey!

Edited by Durbanite

3 hours ago, Jaydug said:

The newer anticoagulant drugs, Apixaban, Rivaroxaban, etc are the same overall cost as the regular blood-testing doesn't need to be done, unlike Warfarin, so the actual cost of a patient on Warfarin is the same - that's why many are being switched off Warfarin - of course surgeries are only interested in drug cost, not overall costs.

Take the Prescriptions with you and pay cash over the counter at the Pharmacy. I ran out of one item this year and bought  28 days of supply that covered me until I got back to UK

My doctor issues my repeat subscription for three months only and you have to juggle the dates slightly to cover longer periods being away .

Dave

The OP said he is going away for six months - no UK doctor will issue prescriptions for that length of time. Any traveller away for that length of time will need to get medication from an overseas doctor and/ or a pharmacy in  the country to which he is going, show his EHIC card,  and pay what is required for the prescription drugs supplied, unless a family member can send supplies from home to him.  

Edited by moorgate

10 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

The newer anticoagulant drugs, Apixaban, Rivaroxaban, etc are the same overall cost as the regular blood-testing doesn't need to be done, unlike Warfarin, so the actual cost of a patient on Warfarin is the same - that's why many are being switched off Warfarin - of course surgeries are only interested in drug cost, not overall costs.

Can you elaborate on how the actual cost of Apixaban and Warfarin are the same?    If you look at page 16 of this:-

http://gmmmg. nhs. uk/docs/cost_comparison_charts. pdf

it shows the cost of one month's supply of Apixaban as £53. 20 whilst one month's supply of 3mg of Warfarin is . 37pence.   Monitoring costs add up to 3 minutes of the surgery nurse's time, plus another minute to add the result to the patient record, then £2. 50 for a co-agucheck strip which will probably be much cheaper to NHS.  

Over the course of a year the Apixaban costs £638 and the Warfarin costs £4. 44.   That leaves £633+ for monitoring costs.

2141727228_Anticoagulantdrugsfor28days-1.jpg.bb13ea2cb3e43e62b539fb0ce63b9ff6.jpg 

Be interesting to see what Spanish customs make of all this drug traffic between U>K> and Spain.

Presumably OP is on free precriptions

21 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

Can you elaborate on how the actual cost of Apixaban and Warfarin are the same?    If you look at page 16 of this:-

http://gmmmg. nhs. uk/docs/cost_comparison_charts. pdf

it shows the cost of one month's supply of Apixaban as £53. 20 whilst one month's supply of 3mg of Warfarin is . 37pence.   Monitoring costs add up to 3 minutes of the surgery nurse's time, plus another minute to add the result to the patient record, then £2. 50 for a co-agucheck strip which will probably be much cheaper to NHS.  

Over the course of a year the Apixaban costs £638 and the Warfarin costs £4. 44.   That leaves £633+ for monitoring costs.

2141727228_Anticoagulantdrugsfor28days-1.jpg.bb13ea2cb3e43e62b539fb0ce63b9ff6.jpg 

The NICE study into Rivaroxaban (Xarelto) published in 2012, based on costs in 2009/2010, gives an annual total cost for Warfarin of £663 in the first year and £525 in subsequent years - costs have increased since then - https://www. nice. org. uk/guidance/ta256/documents/atrial-fibrillation-stroke-prevention-rivaroxaban-final-appraisal-determination-document2

19 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

The NICE study into Rivaroxaban (Xarelto) published in 2012, based on costs in 2009/2010, gives an annual total cost for Warfarin of £663 in the first year and £525 in subsequent years - costs have increased since then - https://www. nice. org. uk/guidance/ta256/documents/atrial-fibrillation-stroke-prevention-rivaroxaban-final-appraisal-determination-document2

Yes - I notice from the document that the Warfarin monitoring estimates are figures suggested by Bayer.   Well they would want to show them as high as possible.   As I showed previously, the annual cost of my Warfarin treatment is:-

£4. 44 for 12 months supply, plus the cost of 8 three minute visits to the nurse - I actually do 3 of the eight tests myself and I only email her the result.

On free prescriptions, over 65 and live in Scotland but not worried about costs.

Will be ordering online in 16 weeks time and getting our daughter to collect and post and also trying to get them in Spain. We are on a C&CC Rally so they will know which doctors and pharmacies speak English and are helpful. Any extra we acquire will be used on the summer trip.

Ian

I read recently on TripAdvisor of one particular pharmacist in Spain was ripping visitors off with prices so I guess it might be wise to know price of your particular medicine and if there is a standard dispensing charge.  

Here my pharmacy charged me £14 on top of a private prescription medicine price.

I would remember if you buy drugs abroad that you have to be careful bringing prescription drugs into the country also out if over three months supply .

https://www. gov. uk/travelling-controlled-drugs

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Dave,

the page you linked to seems to be only concerned with medication that contains a 'controlled substance' and to check with the doctor.

I've followed this thread with interest as we plan to be away for a week short of 4 months this winter. I have made an appointment to see our GP about 10 days before we go in case we can't take enough with us, and will ask about the controlled substance thing at the same time.

Jim

Digoxin Tablets

Has anyone experience of purchasing Digoxin Tablets in Spain, and

were they able to buy them and what did they cost?

Thank you.

24 minutes ago, conquest said:

Has anyone experience of purchasing Digoxin Tablets in Spain, an

I haven't, but if you have a prescription request, show it at the Farmacia and you'll get similar - maybe different name.    They shouldn't be too expensive.    In the UK, the NHS pays around £1. 50 for 28 tablets.

Thanks Jaydug for the info.

Hi there

re meds availability in portugal

i bought certain meds over the counter with no proof

of any script etc. Depends what you take but my hypertension and statins

were cheaper than in the uk and also bought in Spain and France no questions 

but couldnt get painkillers without a docs script.

it seems to depend on what you need.

my doc in uk gave me 3 months supply.

i believe you can pay a small sum to visit a local doc

with your prescription and they may fill it for you

€ 25. /€50 dependant of area and type of practice I guess.

friends have had dental in both Spain and Portugal and said how much cheaper

it was than in the uk.

hope this is helpful.

If we have to visit our doctor in France it costs €23. 50 plus the cost of tablets, but you get much more time, and a much more thorough consultation than we've had on most visits to a GP in this country, with some 'standard' tests seeming to be the norm at every visit.

9 hours ago, Mike ingham said:

Hi there

re meds availability in portugal

i bought certain meds over the counter with no proof

of any script etc. Depends what you take but my hypertension and statins

were cheaper than in the uk and also bought in Spain and France no questions 

but couldnt get painkillers without a docs script.

it seems to depend on what you need.

my doc in uk gave me 3 months supply.

i believe you can pay a small sum to visit a local doc

with your prescription and they may fill it for you

€ 25. /€50 dependant of area and type of practice I guess.

friends have had dental in both Spain and Portugal and said how much cheaper

it was than in the uk.

hope this is helpful.

A number of medications are cheaper retail than the £8. 80 prescription charge in England - good chemists will tell you that and allow you to buy them over the counter, but if they're Prescription Only Medication (POM), they must be on your prescription.

On 15/10/2018 at 17:38, BroGoat said:

We have a doctor who will only give us two months supply at a time.

Just to reopen this old topic from last year.

Having spent the last week in hospital being treated for a massive stomach bleed brought about by seven years use  of Warfarin , I am now on a completely new list of meds.       I will be looking for a four months supply of Omeprazole and Apixaban to take away with me.

However to the point - In preparation for my forthcoming stay in Spain, I have in my cupboard several months supply of Warfarin which are no longer required.   If anyone is in need of extra supplies to take away with them, they are available.    Blue 3mg and brown 1mg tablets.    Let me know by PM.   

Edited by Jaydug