Sign in to follow this  
den123

Hobby 645vip

Hi guys  what’s the good and bad with hobby caravans  thinking of buying one don’t know what to do any help please guys. Do the loose value quick etc.  

Well the professional caravan dwellers like them (the ones that tow with transit pickup and have a load of milk churns, often are tree surgeons). There must be a good reason why they're their preferred choice.

FWIW I'm going to get a Hobby Van next year when I retire, I think the quality is way above anything UK made and the price is very competitive.

• Haha 1

We thought the LMC vans looked good when we was looking round, think they are part of the hymer group.  

AFAIK, the twin axle Hobby 'vans are over 7 mtr body length; making them illegal to tow in UK with a vehicle of less than 3501 kgs Gross Vehicle Weight. Do check for yourself and take no notice of those that say "Oh, you'll be alright". Your insurance will be quite specific in this respect.

hi we are buying a hobby 645 vip tomorrow. have contacted the dealer who says its 22ft long. its a 2015 model,does anybody have the same model,and is it legal to tow in the uk.

Edited by kev odge

15 minutes ago, kev odge said:

hi we are buying a hobby 645 vip tomorrow. have contacted the dealer who says its 22ft long. its a 2015 model,does anybody have the same model,and is it legal to tow in the uk.

Its actually just over the 7 metres and therefore not legal to tow unless the tow vehicle is over 3.5 tonnes eg a large van etc.

Think it will be a nightmare for u getanother make

have u. Checked insurance

• Confused 2

7m excluding A-frame https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/weight-and-width-limits

So I guess that means max external body length of 7m? 

Edit - there's a Hobby PDF that shows various lengths, albeit not for the 645. Can't seem to paste the link here but try Googling "Hobby shipping lengths" and it should be the first hit. Doesn't seem there's many Hobby 'vans that meet this 7m criteria. All "7" series models are >7m.

Edited by Pebble

Shipping length 8323mm  Body length 7154mm according to the catalogue I have here for a 645 of that year.

• Thanks 1

hi everybody thanks for the help. i measured the body today not including the a frame and it was roughly 6.8 mts

ive read that the measurements do not include the a frame. therefore im thinking i should be ok?

my wife loves the van but im obviously wary of staying legal. weve paid alot of money for it so its got to be right.

thanks again everybody, all appreciated.

Please forgive if you have considered the following but.........

Check your towcar has the capacity to tow this caravan. 

Likewise if the max gross TRAIN weight exceeds 3500kg do you have the necessary licence category? 

Like I said I apologise if you have taken the above into account (but not everyone does) 

Andy

12 minutes ago, kev odge said:

hi everybody thanks for the help. i measured the body today not including the a frame and it was roughly 6.8 mts

ive read that the measurements do not include the a frame. therefore im thinking i should be ok?

my wife loves the van but im obviously wary of staying legal. weve paid alot of money for it so its got to be right.

thanks again everybody, all appreciated.

Double check you’ve measured it correctly, the front and rear panels are curved and Hobby themselves state it’s over 7 metres.

your call at the end of the day, just be very careful due to insurance / legal implications.

thanks lads, hard work this,run my own building business and cant sort this out! better check dimensions on the extension im doing. lol.

im going through everything again tomorrow,how do you lads get on? smaller caravans or commercial towing?

Caravans under 7m body length I suspect ;)

23 hours ago, kev odge said:

First Rule - Don't trust a salesman unless it is in writing.

2nd Rule - If it is in writing be sceptical and check for yourself

3rd Rule - Repeat actions within rules 1 and 2

,clever you are,thanks for the help.

EXCUSE ME PLEASE! IM HERE FOR HELPFUL COMMENTS<NOT SARCASTIC REMARKS FROM PEOPLE LIKE YOURSELF. GO ON FACEBOOK OR SOMETHING,glad i m not in the trenches with you!

apologies alan, didnt like the first comment. so unhelpful.

yes thank you i will check again and again.

dont think my friend tony understood what i was actually after. i thank him for his comments but if he doesnt have a hobby caravan and cant advise, why comment like that?

sorry i meant alan in my earlier post!

You asked 'how do you lads get on? smaller caravans or commercial towing?'

I said 'Caravans under 7m body length I suspect'

Just answering your question Kev

tony

as ive said in my earlier posts i need friendly,helpful,advice. what i dont need is sombody telling me to buy a different make.

i want a hobby that is legal. thats why im on this site and not lunar.

Who is Tony? 

16 hours ago, kev odge said:

tony

as ive said in my earlier posts i need friendly,helpful,advice. what i dont need is sombody telling me to buy a different make.

i want a hobby that is legal. thats why im on this site and not lunar.

The 645 VIP version doesn't appear in German brochures as it is a UK only version and doesn't match the German brochure specs. Advertisers of Hobby caravans never quote the body length when it exceeds 7 metres because of the requirements to tow it legally the main one being a tow vehicle that exceeds 3500kg GVW or, in other words, a large van.

Measure the body length yourself from the plastic moulding at the front to the same at the rear.

UK importer,  Ambergate caravans 01773853900 may help  if you have the VIN.

29 minutes ago, beejay said:

UK importer,  Ambergate caravans 01773853900 may help  if you have the VIN.

Thats where I got my brochure from that has the length of the 645 in it.

Its very difficult to measure accurately the body length due to the compound curves on the end panels.