EE started their 5G trial at Canary Wharf a few days ago and have indicated that the system will start being made available to the general public sometime next year (don't hold your breath). Verizon are doing similar tests in the US.

Unlike 4G, which can use the existing antenna infrastructure, 5G will require a completely new infrastructure.  

Over the coming years its likely that 5G will be the" must have" for those of us that like the freedom a MiFi offers when out and about.

37 minutes ago, nilrem77 said:

Over the coming years its likely that 5G will be the" must have" for those of us that like the freedom a MiFi offers when out and about. 

Didn't they say that about 4G

Didn't they say that about 3G

hey its groundhog day

Bailey Pageant Bretagne Series 6 - LR Discovery Td5 Auto

Still struggle to get 4g unless in a large town round here .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Since I upgraded to 4G I have been pleasantly surprised at how many campsites I get a reasonable reception, Clumber Park excepted! So will I need a new phone to receive a 5G signal or will current mobiles universally accept it when Networks make it available? 

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

. ...your clear as mud answer. ..

Where 5G implies new forms of wireless (e. g. LoRa, millimetre wireless) then of course the phone in your pocket now can't work that way, and never will do, since it doesn't have the hardware built-in. However, 5G implies a new type of core network that probably will be used to support existing cellular devices, but this will be via existing 3G/LTE/WiFi radio.

There may never be a "5G smartphone", as such, because 5G may be more important in application areas that are not yet well-served, for example the Internet of Things, Intelligent Transport Systems, wireless backhaul and application areas not yet conceived using millimetre wireless.

So the answer is emphatically no, and paradoxically yes.

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

10 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

Still struggle to get 4g unless in a large town round here .

Dave

We are still struggling to get 2 or 3g?

2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4  PHEV and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

Interesting. .. We were in Hartington, Derbyshire today and went into the Farm Shop Cafe, they had 5G WiFi, I connected my 4G Samsung S5 Smartphone straight to their system without any problems :excl:

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

It’s not just EE doing trials, all operators are doing so. It won’t make a blind bit of a difference to you at the mo as there aren’t any devices commercially available to run it yet!

As Sam says, IOT etc will be a big driver, and the architecture of it is only being set currently.

ref the claim of 5g WiFi, I suggest that’s just a name. ..it’s not available yet! (I could rename my router to call it 5g if I wanted!)

5 hours ago, milkymarsh said:

It’s not just EE doing trials, all operators are doing so

EE  are the only provider in the UK conducting a 'live' trial of 5G today . I believe the other operators are conducting 'Lab' trials though I am sure this will change in the very near future.

https://5g. co. uk/news/ee-5g-canary-wharf-trial/4538/

Edited by nilrem77
16 minutes ago, nilrem77 said:

EE  are the only provider in the UK conducting a 'live' trial of 5G today . I believe the other operators are conducting 'Lab' trials though I am sure this will change in the very near future.

https://5g. co. uk/news/ee-5g-canary-wharf-trial/4538/

Trust me, I can confirm that’s not the case. I work on telecoms infrastructure. Just can’t say any more than that. ...

Thanks for the insight. I wonder how long it will be before 5G is an affordable option for internet use when caravanning.

I need good internet as I have to support our business while on holiday and spend a lot of time making sure that I have acceptable internet on the sites I visit. I don't like using the CMC offerings for a variety of reasons.

Edited by nilrem77
22 minutes ago, nilrem77 said:

Thanks for the insight. I wonder how long it will be before 5G is an affordable option for internet use when caravanning.

I need good internet as I have to support our business while on holiday and spend a lot of time making sure that I have acceptable internet on the sites I visit. I don't like using the CMC offerings for a variety of reasons.

Think it will be a while as initially it will be cities and large towns etc. Importantly, there is a lot of spectrum migration going on at the moment where operators are converting their old school 2g network to 4g. Reason for this is that 4g gives a better experience and with the lower 2g frequencies the signal travels further. It’s no longer the ‘roll out new frequencies’, there is a lot of work on refarming existing techs and I see no reason for this to stop as it gives a better customer experience, improved data speeds (which everyone wants), and frees up the spectrum for other uses etc.

Thats about all I can say without saying other items I’m not allowed to say. ...

11 minutes ago, milkymarsh said:

Think it will be a while as initially it will be cities and large towns etc. Importantly, there is a lot of spectrum migration going on at the moment where operators are converting their old school 2g network to 4g. Reason for this is that 4g gives a better experience and with the lower 2g frequencies the signal travels further. It’s no longer the ‘roll out new frequencies’, there is a lot of work on refarming existing techs and I see no reason for this to stop as it gives a better customer experience, improved data speeds (which everyone wants), and frees up the spectrum for other uses etc.

Thats about all I can say without saying other items I’m not allowed to say . ..

Just go to the members' list; select all and pm us!;)

Edited by SamD

10 hours ago, kiaboy said:

Interesting. .. We were in Hartington, Derbyshire today and went into the Farm Shop Cafe, they had 5G WiFi, I connected my 4G Samsung S5 Smartphone straight to their system without any problems :excl:

Most home routers allows you to use both 2. 4GHz or 5GHz wireless coverage. It's not the same as a 5G phone network.

There are lots of problems with 5G though, most of which they won't tell you about.

For those who have heard of the Tech Journalist John C Dvorak, he was fired by PC Mag recently for writing an article that was anti 5G. They fired him and replaced the article with a pro 5G article, presumably because one of their biggest advertisers is a phone company.

http://www. investmentwatchblog. com/pc-magazine-deletes-article-about-problems-with-5g-and-fires-its-author-john-c-dvorak-from-the-no-agenda-show-podcast/

1 hour ago, milkymarsh said:

Thats about all I can say without saying other items I’m not allowed to say. ...

I thought that SMS only works on 2G ?

Bailey Pageant Bretagne Series 6 - LR Discovery Td5 Auto

Must work on 3G as well else 3 would be up the creek!

ISTR that 5G has been available as a technology in S. Korea for some years? There again most homes in S. Korea have gigabit fibre direct connections.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

2 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

Must work on 3G as well else 3 would be up the creek!

ISTR that 5G has been available as a technology in S. Korea for some years? There again most homes in S. Korea have gigabit fibre direct connections.

Forbes in Feb this year:

5G, a mobile connection that promises data processing speeds 100 times faster than its predecessor, fourth-generation LTE -- and it’s expected to become widespread in developed countries including South Korea starting next year.

Doesn't mean you are wrong though.

1 hour ago, AndyPoole said:

I thought that SMS only works on 2G ?

It used to be, but not now. Multi platform networks now in use.

ref speeds, I’ve readily seen 4. 5g speeds at around 250mb/s. Full fat 5g will be even better, once the operators confirm strategy