Sign in to follow this  
Cliff&Jackie

Wind up torch

We have kept a wind up torch in the caravan for a few years (always ready when taking the dog out for a last wee and changing the gas etc).

It has worked well until recently when the winding handle broke - it is only plastic.

Can anyone recommend a more substantial one please?

Thanks

Cliff

Why not buy a small LED torch?  We paid about £5 for one from The Range about 2 - 3 years ago and the batteries are still okay.   The one in the car is nearly 5 years old and still has the same battery.

Is there any real need these days to replace a wind up torch with another, we have not since ours failed?

I say this as some of the modern LEDs give such good and extended performance from a couple of AA batteries that IMO the battery life issue that largely motivated the "wind up era", has past.

Edit: the same point raised by "Durbanite".

I would suggest if you go this route to seek out a torch with the yellow block as opposed to the "glass" bead type LEDs, in my experience these are leagues better.

Edited by JTQ

As said you can buy small LED torch for a pound . I bought 5 not so long ago and have them scattered around in the wife's hand bag and home and caravan . We also keep a couple of LED head torches which allow you to have free hands .

I found the wind up torches don't last .

Dave

Thanks for the replies.

I take your points about batteries but at SOME point they will fail and leave you in the dark.

If a wind up goes out, you stop for a few seconds and wind again.

In these days of not throwing things away (and batteries have a lot of nasties), a wind up is more

environmentally friendly.

Cliff 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cliff&Jackie said:

Thanks for the replies.

I take your points about batteries but at SOME point they will fail and leave you in the dark.

In these days of not throwing things away (and batteries have a lot of nasties), a wind up is more

Cliff 

The wind up torches have batteries and are made out of plastic but the LED torches are aluminium . Swings and roundabouts ?

Dave

Had a wind-up. What a wind-up! Two minutes frantic effort for about 30 seconds pale glow. Wretched thing didn't even maintain a charge so every time I wanted to use it, I had to wind it up. Maybe I just had a naff one.

Now I have two LED torches one of which is 600 lumen (think car headlight). both of which are on rechargeable AA's. With a back-up set of batteries, charged and waiting, I'm never left in the dark.  If one goes dim I can use the other one until I sort it out. OK, more than a couple of quid initial investment, but worth it. (IMO)

I've got a wind up torch in the caravan. I bought it in Aldi or Lidl, (can't remember which). It's complete with a radio, (not used). When we go to the caravan at the start of the season, April or May for us, it's still holding a charge from the previous year. Great piece of kit in an emergency. We also have a large battery torch and an LED headband to leave hands free when the toilet cassette needs changing after dark, (always).

I bought my caravan through an executor and it came complete with everything. .. :o  In one of the drawers was a windup torch.       It's made by Nauticalia and has an aluminium and rubber body with an LED behind a thick lens.     Even after my nine years of ownership it still works well.

IMG_20181010_134745_BURST002.jpg.d57fca6bc05e633c99ac4f0c722e4cfa.jpg

5 hours ago, Cliff&Jackie said:

Thanks for the replies.

Cliff 

Take your point but batteries are easily replaced in minutes and the torch is working again whilst a broken winder requires a whole new torch which isn't environmentally friendly as it too contains nasties.  Batteries are recyclable.

As said buy a couple of LED torches for £1 each and no issues.   :D

I was given a wind up torch.  

After lots of winding the light only stayed for a very few seconds.  I chucked it, waste of time.

As everyone says - you cant beat the led torches.

10 hours ago, Cliff&Jackie said:

Thanks for the replies.

Cliff 

I get what you are saying! But it amuses me when you say "when the batteries go your in the dark". You are here asking about a replacement wind up, simply because the winder handle broke. The batteries can be replaced, but the winder handle not🤔

I have a new wind up, in its blister, never used. It's yours free, if you want it, just pm me to sort things out?

Edited by David P

I was so pleased with my first wind up torch from Wilkinson that I bought another, identical one for the car.  

The first works well and holds it's charge. The second is rough when winding and doesn't hold charge for long.  

I also have an led lamp and it still uses the same batteries it came with 4yrs ago.  

Sign in to follow this