Sign in to follow this  
P&L Caravan Services

Mobile servicing Lancashire and the northwest

Hi, I'm offering services and repairs in the northwest. 10 years in the industry working for dealers and now it's time to head out on my own.

Single axle caravan service £180.   

Twins £200.

Safety inspection, gas system and running gear £100.

Call outs charged at a £40 start fee dependable on location.

All work carried out to a high standard on your drive,storage yard or on the go.  

Call 07398613031 leave a message if I'm unavailable and I'll call back

Thanks Phil 

Are you part of the Approved Workshop scheme so that warranties are maintained?

Not currently no 

I am fully qualified and update with all certs 

That could be a problem !!

46 minutes ago, Brecon said:

That could be a problem !!

There are lots of caravans out there that are outside of warranty that need servicing or maintenance. 

I guess it it depends which direction the OP sees his business going. 

Thanks for the comments,

I'm obviously starting small once I'm fully established I will be getting approved but it makes no sense to do so at the moment

As stated I am fully qualified all my certs and infill courses I've been in the trade for 10 years and come  from a solid engineering background before that 

10 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

There are lots of caravans out there that are outside of warranty that need servicing or maintenance.  

I guess it it depends which direction the OP sees his business going.  

Yeah, but being an approved workshop engineer has an advantage if there is any dispute to the quality of the work done you can always contact the approved workshop for guidance.

The problem with not being AWS is that any work done on a caravan still within warranty will invalidate the warranty as only three types of people can maintain the warranty.

The selling dealer, a manufacturers approved workshop or a AWS member.

It matters not that you have all the certs like C&G Caravan Engineering, ACoPS (or even better Gas Safe), both LV and ELV Electrical certs and all the approvals from the likes of Truma, Thetford etc, or what your past background is.

I would be surprised if anyone with an “in warranty” caravan having service or repairs done by a non approved facility.

The other question is whether they are a sole trader or a limited company and whether they have insurance in place.   Either way I wish the OP the best of luck and hope they make a success of their new business.   Every one has to start somewhere and it is the first 12 months that are the most important.   :D

Thanks for the well wishes 

23 hours ago, Brecon said:

It matters not that you have all the certs like C&G Caravan Engineering, ACoPS (or even better Gas Safe), both LV and ELV Electrical certs and all the approvals from the likes of Truma, Thetford etc, or what your past background is.

It really does as a requirement for AWS is that you have all up to date certs. 

But I'm not here to argue.

The hope was join the forum offering support and advice from a fully qualified time served tech with countless facts figures and hand on real world experience to promote myself and build up a solid foundation for my business.

Yes there are things that will require addressing such as the AWS and I will sort that at a later date.

Thanks for the well wishes 

6 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

The other question is whether they are a sole trader or a limited company and whether they have insurance in place.   Either way I wish the OP the best of luck and hope they make a success of their new business.   Every one has to start somewhere and it is the first 12 months that are the most important.   :D

Well put,  but let's not forget how things have evolved in the car world, post warranty period, there are now thousands of busy independents, many marque specific, who owners flock to.

Why? because they give a good service, in many cases ' understand ' the cars more than dealer technicians. and don't charge eye-watering prices, with many instances of the ' independent ' solving problems the dealer couldn't get to grips with.

I would think that the number of warranty valid caravans on the road is infinitesimal compared to those out of warranty, so should provide a good pool for such as P&L.

As an aside, how many complaints are  there seen on CT about unsatisfactory warranty claim work by Dealer and AWS workshops, many requiring multiple visits to either, some even requiring legal action to be threatened or taken to require a remedy ? These seen on CT will obviously be the tip of the iceberg with many owners not venting their spleen on the internet.

I was always taught that it's no use trying to solve a problem, until you understand the problem.

In other words, it's pointless to keep throwing parts on to a vehicle,  ( which main dealers still do ) till eventually the problem is corrected,

I am not trying to be negative in any way and I hope that you build a good business and do well, but having been there, done it and got the T shirt I was trying to point out just what a hard time it is, and also very expensive in terms of time and money to get well established.

You have a rather large hill to climb and in recent times there have been many who have thought the same as you and have been on the course with the company of whom I am sure you are aware of who turn people with no prior knowledge of what a caravan even looks like into fully fledged "engineers" in 5 days !

You have the huge advantage of having been in the business for a long time and actually know what you are doing.

Looking quickly at the location you are in you have around 50 other people vying for your work.

Edited by Brecon

Sign in to follow this