Sign in to follow this  
spreadercraig

Charger on 2S4V

Hi all.

I've wired up my 2S4V all apart from the charge wire.

I'm wondering is this a direct charge to the leisure battery?

The unit has a charger fuse on the front at 5amp and an anti surge fuse (0. 3amp).

If I can charge my battery through this when hooked up then happy days!

Here's a  post that I've just found, it may help

• Thanks 1

I've no experience of this unit (assumed to be a Zig 2S4V) but from what I can see from the circuit diagram:

XoBKpM.thumb.png.7709580150271854b959a9ce8a301b77.png

. ..you have three battery related connections:

• Caravan Battery
  • Car Charge
  • Car Battery

The Caravan Battery is obvious. The Car Battery is apparently a connection directly to your car battery so that, in emergencies, you can run the caravan electrics directly off the car battery. The Car Charge line assumes a charge supply (engine running) from your car and connects to both the leisure battery to charge and 'van electrics.

So the short answer to your question is 'Yes, but. ..'

But 1:  you have to consider the albeit unlikely scenario where you are hooked up and engage the starter motor on your car. This will radically drop the car battery voltage and, without external protection, your zig unit output will also be used to start the car, which would undoubtedly blow fuses at best. In charge mode, this protection would normally be handled in the car towing electrics via a voltage sensitive relay that would only connect caravan to car when the engine is running i. e. 14. xV. You will need to make sure this is the case for you. You also need to make sure you're not switched to car mode when you're planning to start the engine. In car mode you also need to take care not to flatten your car battery!

But 2:  most modern systems just outright prevent you from connecting car to caravan battery in any way unless the engine is running and, when connected, disconnects all internal electrics via the habitation relay. I believe this is done to support towing legislation that you should not travel in the 'van whilst towing. You might need to check whether you're allowed to have 'van electrics powered up whilst towing.

Edited by tictag
  • Thanks 1

Ok thanks for your help!

I'm going to avoid the whole can of worms and just get a charger I can plug in when hooked up. I have a solar panel for when I'm not hooked up.

I'll blank off the charger cable and take out the fuses.