Sign in to follow this  
colonel

Towing

:DWell, I'm back towing again. I've just had a year driving a VW, t5 camper, just me and my Westie but, due to left ankle problems, I'm back towing with an automatic car. On the plus side, I do appreciate the room and the comfort of my caravan but do miss the spontaneity of taking off just because I felt like it with no idea where I was going. Oh well, you can't have everything!

• Like 1

And you can't still do that now?

We keep 'the basics' stocked in the van and if the mood takes us it is just a matter of loading the fresh/perishable food and the wine/beer and off we go.

With our long trips round Europe we just book the out going crossing and take it from there with just a rough idea of route. But we do tend to do that between May and early July when sites do not need advance booking.

1 hour ago, The road toad said:

We keep 'the basics' stocked in the van and if the mood takes us it is just a matter of loading the fresh/perishable food .

Yes - me too!    Bedding, clothes, towels, pots and pans and cutlery all stay in the van.    Only fridge stuff to load and I'm ready.

Same here.   All basics already in the van.   When we've got back from a trip, just take out the bedding, towels and dirty clothes, wash and iron them and back in the caravan they go, ready for our next outing.   Only thing to load is food and stuff for the cat:D

We unexpectedly had the chance to go away for a month and it took three hours from hubby telling me to get on the road. In that time we had told our son and daughter, asked a friend to keep an eye on the house, had lunch, booked two sites and cancelled the milk as well as loading the fridge and packed clothes for a month.

If I am planning to go and it is just fridge and clothes I can be ready in half an hour.

I`d often call the Mrs Friday lunchtime and shall we go away, pop into Tesco on the way home, few clothes in a bag, hitch up and go. Its one of the best feelings

t5 sums it up, "its one of the best feelings".     A question, do they not do an automatic t5 type van?

I ordered an automatic a few years back, about the only van available at the time as an auto.

Fairly sure you can still get them as an auto.

Whereas you can buy a T5 automatic, it is not cheap. It would have meant me partexing my van plus another £20k, not cheap, especially on a pension. Selling my camper nearly paid for my car and van.

Some things can make frequent moves easier with a caravan, the mover and a drill to raise and lower the steadies are one. A suitable sized water container and a pitch near tap and drain if possible for short stays, its only the Brits who seem to have this facination with water,  never seen continentals towing around aquarolls.

5 minutes ago, compact said:

never seen continentals towing around aquarolls.

No!   They go back and forth several times each day with a watering can - crazy!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the caravan it was never that spontanious for us as we had to plan to the thing out of the storage yard before even thinking about loading up etc. But, when we had our motorhome we would often leave it parked outside the house and would just jump in & take off when the mood took us.

13 hours ago, t5van said:

I`d often call the Mrs Friday

Why do you call your Mrs Friday :blink:

11 hours ago, compact said:

Some things can make frequent moves easier with a caravan, the mover and a drill to raise and lower the steadies are one. A suitable sized water container and a pitch near tap and drain if possible for short stays, its only the Brits who seem to have this facination with water,  never seen continentals towing around aquarolls.

The biggest deterrent to a quick getaway for me, when I did such things, would have been if I had not stored at home.  

33 minutes ago, Easy T said:

The biggest deterrent to a quick getaway for me, when I did such things, would have been if I had not stored at home.  

Ours is in storage so it’s a pain to do as a last-minute thing especially as we both work full time so it’s not a case of one of us getting it all ready then going when the other gets home.

We keep ours in storage and although only 10 minutes from home, we remove most items from it when we leave it each time.

That said if we suddenly decided take off it would probably be a 3 hour job to sort out the house and everything else we would have to do.

12 hours ago, Woodie106 said:

With the caravan it was never that spontanious for us as we had to plan to the thing out of the storage yard before even thinking about loading up etc. But, when we had our motorhome we would often leave it parked outside the house and would just jump in & take off when the mood took us.

Why do you call your Mrs Friday :blink:

Its payday, so i get my treat, she has a clean Pinnie on when i get home.

Sign in to follow this