Theft of keyless cars increasing!

I know it is the Daily Wail, but the article does raise some concerns about cars with keyless entry.   From a security point keyless entry is something I would prefer to avoid.   After all how much effort does it take to remove the key from your pocket, click on the fob and then enter your vehicle?  I can see insurance premiums for keyless cars escalating to a very high figure.

• Like 1
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes.   It's called a diligent wife, on hearing my car turn into the drive she unlocks and opens the door, rolls out the red carpet and welcomes me with a fresh cup of coffee and a smile*.  

For goodness sake people! If you like keyless cars, use one. If you prefer cars which use keys, use one. It's called personal choice. What works for you, works. What works for someone else works f

Right, if I ever get one of these keyless cars, Im going to wrap my fob in tinfoil, and then put it in an old baccy tin.  In the house I will put this, ( still in its foil and tin ) into a safe, whic

This article is old news, it was first published in 03/2018.

I wouldn't be without a keyless car.

I have a signal blocking pouch for when the keys are out of my pocket and another pouch where the spare keys live.

It is just so easy to get in and out of the car without fumbling around for keys.

• Like 3

There are a lot more recent articles like this one from Fleet News.   IMHO just as much hassle having to put the keys in a signal blocking pouch which you obviously have to buy as fumbling around for keys.   I only carry one bunch of keys so no need for me to fumble.   LOL!  :D

Out of interest, does anyone have keyless entry for their home?  In order to avoid this fumbling issue.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Alexbee said:

Out of interest, does anyone have keyless entry for their home?  In order to avoid this fumbling issue.

Yes.   It's called a diligent wife, on hearing my car turn into the drive she unlocks and opens the door, rolls out the red carpet and welcomes me with a fresh cup of coffee and a smile*.

*Note.   Some or all of this statement may not be true. ......................

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Talking with a mate earlier this week - neither of us has Comfort Access - but have remote keys.

So we do the fumble bit in the pocket for the "key". Hit the button and get in the car.

But where do you now put the keys???

Nice old cars have a handy receptacle often called the Ignition Switch.

Now, they get thrown in the jumble that is the centre console, to rattle and get buried.

Progress.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, AlwynMike said:

Talking with a mate earlier this week - neither of us has Comfort Access - but have remote keys.

So we do the fumble bit in the pocket for the "key". Hit the button and get in the car.

But where do you now put the keys???

Nice old cars have a handy receptacle often called the Ignition Switch.

Now, they get thrown in the jumble that is the centre console, to rattle and get buried.

Progress.

Agree 100%.  I have quite a few keys on my key ring and having those in my pocket on a long journey can become uncomfortable.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

asThere are a lot more recent articles like this one from Fleet News.   IMHO just as much hassle having to put the keys in a signal blocking pouch which you obviously have to buy as fumbling around for keys.   I only carry one bunch of keys so no need for me to fumble.   LOL!  :D

I never fumble for the fob it is only in the signal blocking pouch in my house. The fob is in my pocket when I am using the car.

It really makes life easier, to have keyless entry.

Same is a "Kick Open Tailgate" with three ways to close the gate, life is much easier.

Edited by Tradewinds

When I ordered my car the dealer asked me whether I'd like to specify keyless entry. I said no for the very reason mentioned and left it with a remote key. I have so many keys on my key ring that I can't sit down with them in my pocket anyway so the car key makes little difference.

I have a Hilux  no keys just a transponder, only works if Iam stood next to the doors, as for a blocking pouch, I suggested this on the Hilux forum a year or so back, just wrap them in a bit of "Baco" foil,:D other brands are available. Its cheap dosnt weigh anything, use in our pocket, in case of roaming scanners, and when at home.  

23 minutes ago, nosnibora said:

I have a Hilux  no keys just a transponder, only works if Iam stood next to the doors, as for a blocking pouch, I suggested this on the Hilux forum a year or so back, just wrap them in a bit of "Baco" foil,:D other brands are available. Its cheap dosnt weigh anything, use in our pocket, in case of roaming scanners, and when at home.  

And for those who find “ fumbling “ for keys an issue, id think carrying wads of cooking foil and wrapping, unwrapping at every journey an even bigger problem, so they should get all  their  trouser/jacket/skirt/ manbag/handbag  pockets foil lined perhaps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our old car had keyless entry and start - the key sat in my wallet which meant the RFID code was scrambled (if you have more than one source in the same space they can’t be read) - and my wallet would either be in the jacket pocket when working or in another pocket when not working - the only issue I ever had was using my A2 and almost ripping the door handle off expecting it to open without the key. The rest of my keys would either be in a pocket or when in the car if just put them on the centre console.

The Passat has keyless start but not entry, it doesn’t ruin my day but keyless works better.

If I could be bothered to make my house keyless I would!

We  had 3 cars earlier this year. One i have to unlock with a key inserted in to the door handle. One has a fob & i have to press the button to open the doors. The other has keyless entry but i still have to press a small button on the door handle to unlock the car. 1st is a pain in the rear. 2nd is not quite such a pain, but with both i do need to do an amount of fumbling in pockets.  3rd one was by far the easier to get in to. Unless you were stood within less than half a metre of the door it would not unlock. You couldn't be by the passenger door & unlock the driver door. When at home. we keep the keys in a cabinet draw in the centre of our house.

Thefts of these cars will be on the increase as more manufacturers adopt the technology. I remember years ago when central locking became the norm & when key fobs became the norm we had the same stories about each of those.

Figures - especially percentages - can be deceiving. If 4 cars were stolen last year &6 this year it will get reported as a 50% increase in reported thefts until you examine the figures in a bit more detail.   

We have a wire - less alarm system in our house, in fact we have 2. They are called Rosy & Lilly - our two yappy dogs who warn us of any approaching mammal, bird, insect, piece of litter, person moving within our house who actually lives there, darkness, sunrise. ............... in fact anything you can think of they will yap at:angry:

Edited by Woodie106

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

The answer to all this is the good old tobacco tin - just keep your keys in one or something like it if it really bothers you. How about one of these https://www. amazon. co. uk/Silver-Blank-Storage-Bushcraft-Survival/dp/B00I3GO7NO/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_201_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZE1HR74P2M1H6R7VJ1M3 or a cough pastille tin (if you still get them in tins)

I really cant see the point of wrapping them in Baco foil or similar

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

We had keyless entry on the last car. You had to put your hand right in the door handle before it unlocked but it worked so long as the key was in your pocket. There was a slot in the dash to store the card key if you wanted that. It was a great system, which I actually valued the keyless locking aspect of more (hands full of toddlers or shopping it was much easier to lock the car).  We dug a special vault in the cellar to store the key in.   

The BMW just has buttons on the fob.   

• Haha 1

Perhaps the next step up will be fingerprint or eye scanning!!

Nissan X trail Dci 150 Sport - Bailey Ranger 520 /4

6 hours ago, Woodie106 said:

We  had 3 cars earlier this year. One i have to unlock with a key inserted in to the door handle. One has a fob & i have to press the button to open the doors. The other has keyless entry but i still have to press a small button on the door handle to unlock the car.

We're in a similar position:-

Car 1 - Traditional system. Use key in door, then again in ignition switch to start. 

Car 2 - Unlock / lock from key fob, then key in ignition to start.

Car 3 - Keyless (if fob in pocket) just pull door handle to open. Press start button dashboard to start engine.

(the key fob is also coded like our previous cars to preset seat position, adjust mirrors and set radio preferences etc.)

While many of the automated features such as the electric tailgate operation or the electrically controlled parking brake are seen by some as progress, I cannot help feeling that some changes are just there for change sake.

Like GPS the remote fob(s) is(are) always stored out of range of the parked car in a secure and screened location when at home.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

1 hour ago, icepuffin said:

Perhaps the next step up will be fingerprint or eye scanning!!

Mercedes trialled eye scanning but decided against introducing it - somebody stealing your keys to take your car is one thing. ..

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Durbanite said:

I know it is the Daily Wail, but the article does raise some concerns about cars with keyless entry.   From a security point keyless entry is something I would prefer to avoid.   After all how much effort does it take to remove the key from your pocket, click on the fob and then enter your vehicle?  I can see insurance premiums for keyless cars escalating to a very high figure.

As its an extra on the Tiguan how will that affect insurance?

26 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

Probably not at all, but why not ask your insurer? They might have a better idea than us.

1 hour ago, xtrailman said:

So are many other factory fitted options on many cars - heated seats, panoramic sun roofs and leather, do you tell your insurer about those?

• Like 1

The Tiguan is a low cost car for insurance due to the acc and auto braking system. It is judged as less likely to have an accident.

The acc and auto braking is standard on many VW cars.  

As a keyless entry car can be driven away without the key fob onboard surely once the system noticed there was no key fob within the vehicle, a message could be flashed onto the dashboard warning the driver of what was about to happen whilst sounding the car alarm . Then a short time later the engine shut down and as many keyless entry cars have electric parking brakes, once below a certain speed this could be automatically applied, effectively immobilising the vehicle.

This also makes interesting reading Link

Gordon

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.