mrsmunch

it cant just be me

Does any one else have trouble with lunar caravans. we have had nothing but problems with them. we have even had a replacement brand new one this august and this new one is faulty. To which court proceeding are now being issued for a refund. I knew lunar had a bad name in the past but it seems they are living up to their name leaky lunars.

• Thanks 1

I think you have been unlucky with your vans and I hope you get things resolved quickly and without further stress.   From what I've read on this forum, all manufacturers have problem vans, but you've been doubly unlucky needing to reject 2 consecutive Lunar vans.   Maybe 3rd time lucky - or will it be another manufacturer?

Just by way of balance, ours is now 17 months old and we've spent 130 happy nights in it so far.   Compared to some, we seem to have been lucky and have a good one.   It's never needed to go back to the dealer and the only warranty work (which was carried out by our AWS engineer at the first service) was changing a faulty RCB and replacing the worktop drop flap which had unstuck edging, both completed without hassle.

Fortunately, I enjoy DIY and although you shouldn't have to,  I tend to keep a close eye on everything and attend to minor defects before they become major problems.   When we picked our new van up, I spent a day rectifying  problems not picked up by the dealer on the PDI because it was much easier and less stressful to do them myself, such as fastening the blown air heating tubes, tightening up a leaking sink waste in the bathroom and rehanging a cupboard door which couldn't open when the carpet was down.

Good luck with your court case and I hope you have more success with your next van.

• Like 2

Our 2017 Clubman is in for 2nd service tommorrow.

Fingers crossed.

Only significant problem with our 2016 Delta was 2 stiff blinds which were replaced under warranty.  (Other blinds have become stiff but there is an excellent fix on the forum).

We think its a brilliant caravan and would recommend Lunar.  Apart from really liking the layout and decor, it has a brilliant 300kg payload.

I, too have a Lunar,and I guess this is the ideal thread to redress the balance and  that our Robinson dealer special Ultima 674 (2017) has been great only needing a replacement RCD completed by a AWS workshop at the first service.

The little rubber door buffers kept falling off but cured myself by glueing them in place.

I have added a fridge fan to assist cooling in warmer climate ala Dometic instructions.

This is my 1st Lunar having been a Bailey fan (last one GT65 Verona) but didn't like their direction regarding outside locker space.

I have a 2017 Lunar Lexon 570.   No problems to date. Went for Lunar as the layout suited us exactly. Previously had numerous Swifts.   As has been said numerous times before problems occur in all the brands, Hope your next van is ok.

• Like 1

Had our 2016 Lexon 560 Ultima from new and not a single issue with it to date, I think you may have just been very unlucky.

• Like 1

Our Lunar is 18+. A couple of minor issues including the Carver heater gas control packing up in week 4 of ownership. Having said that I don't believe Lunar or any other manufacturer is anything like what they were at the turn of the century, and therefore neither are their caravans. It's a lottery . ..

On 03/10/2018 at 16:18, hp100425ev said:

Our 2017 Clubman is in for 2nd service tommorrow.

Fingers crossed.

Second service completed and no issues, damp or otherwise.

Happy.  

Might now keep it another year, because OH is not to keen on soft furnishings in 2019 medel.

15 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

Second service completed and no issues, damp or otherwise.

Happy.  

Might now keep it another year, because OH is not to keen on soft furnishings in 2019 medel.

Did you notice the "go faster stripe" down the centre of the front locker on 2019 clubmans?......:lol:

Takes me back to the 1980's. ....

Edited by charlieboy2608

We had our previous Lunar for 5 years. Only one problem that was attributable to Lunar I think.   Top locker door hinge came adrift first week. In the 600 site nights that we used it the only other problems of note was grill on stove dropping, replacement flush pump, 12 volt fridge cooling apparently not working (never used the setting anyway). I also replaced the pump on the Alde that was located in the wardrobe as it was getting a bit noisy after being near silent for 600 days away. Daft really as I replaced the pump in November last year and by 5th December we had exchanged for a new model.  

• Like 1

. We are the same. .we have a alaria we have had nothing but trouble with it. .it is only 18 months  old. It hss spent more time at campbells than us useing it. .it is now waiting to go back in to have 3 faulty cracked windows done. Grrrrr

Would i recomend luna hell NO

On 10/10/2018 at 06:52, charlieboy2608 said:

Did you notice the "go faster stripe" down the centre of the front locker on 2019 clubmans?......:lol:

Takes me back to the 1980's. ....

Didn’t like that myself.

Salesman said they could remove the stripe if I didn’t want it.

Asked him if he had a sewing machine because OH didn’t like soft furnishings.

Wait until 2020 model I think, but definately another Lunar because no other make does it for us.

Edited by hp100425ev
  • Like 1

On 07/11/2018 at 18:41, hp100425ev said:

Didn’t like that myself.

Salesman said they could remove the stripe if I didn’t want it.

Asked him if he had a sewing machine because OH didn’t like soft furnishings.

Wait until 2020 model I think, but definately another Lunar because no other make does it for us.

Lunar will fit upholstery from another model if you don't like the standard offering. We bought a new Clubman this year but specified the Lexon upholstery which we preferred.

22 hours ago, robhar said:

Lunar will fit upholstery from another model if you don't like the standard offering. We bought a new Clubman this year but specified the Lexon upholstery which we preferred.

Snap! We are on our third Lunar since coming back to caravans from motorhomes and have had a couple of minor issues on the second van, the latest had to have a new awning light strip and so far so good.

We have had a Robinsons dealer special and never had any problems with it from the day we picked it up to the day that we sold it, only sold it as we wanted a larger van with longer sofas.

• Like 1

My Lunar is  in Robinson’s at the moment having its last service before its warranty runs out, there have been plenty of problems with it but I suspect that most vans are the same, Lunar build quality on my van is perfectly ok its been mainly the ancillary equipment that is fitted on every van that has caused my problems . The only worry I have with the latest Lunars like mine are the skylight roof lights  , I wonder if they have any trouble with leaks due to the large size of the aperture, my mate had one of the early ones & it sagged causing water to collect at the base of the opening which eventually ran into the van . I notice that the latest van has a strengthened roof to accommodate an air con unit but wonder if that helps to prevent the sagging . I would have no problem buying another Lunar if the sagging has been cured, maybe some new owners on here could advise me .

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stevew1 said:

My Lunar is  in Robinson’s at the moment having its last service before its warranty runs out, there have been plenty of problems with it but I suspect that most vans are the same, Lunar build quality on my van is perfectly ok its been mainly the ancillary equipment that is fitted on every van that has caused my problems . The only worry I have with the latest Lunars like mine are the skylight roof lights  , I wonder if they have any trouble with leaks due to the large size of the aperture, my mate had one of the early ones & it sagged causing water to collect at the base of the opening which eventually ran into the van . I notice that the latest van has a strengthened roof to accommodate an air con unit but wonder if that helps to prevent the sagging . I would have no problem buying another Lunar if the sagging has been cured, maybe some new owners on here could advise me .

Regarding the sagging around the skylight large opening.

On my 2017 Ultima 674 I've had no such worries so far but regularly look down from our bedroom window and/or enter the van at least twice a week.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, stevew1 said:

We are on our second Lunar with the skylight roof and have`nt had any issues, the current van is a Clubman with the larger version and has been owned for nine months and travelled around 4000`. Our van is parked on a slightly sloping drive back down to the offside and all rain drains off more a less straight away (use a drip strip). I have to admit would not be keen to see a large amount of snow build up on roof otherwise don`t have any particular concerns.  

• Thanks 1

I have a 2012 Clubman and it has had water ingress problems at every service from new. We have spent 850+ nights in it and Its done 37000 miles,  apart from the ingress issues been comfortable  and towed well. I wouldnt buy another

I had a 2012 Clubman ES, probably did 20,000 plus miles in it over 5 years and 600 nights away with no problems from the caravan itself. I won't have a swift due to a similar experience to David. Sadly it seems to be the luck of the draw.

1 hour ago, Easy T said:

I had a 2012 Clubman ES, probably did 20,000 plus miles in it over 5 years and 600 nights away with no problems from the caravan itself. I won't have a swift due to a similar experience to David. Sadly it seems to be the luck of the draw.

We have Swift on the blacklist too Alan, I am disappointed to have to add the Lunar, we have lived comfortably in it for 4 months a year for 7 years and if the body integrity had been right I wouldn't part with it now, new caravans are such a faff once one has become used to the old one and of course there is the expense. I realise the likes of us were never at the back of the manufacturers minds when they designed these things, they expect 3 weeks a year and a few hundred miles and spec accordingly. I have this year started spending money on it new battery, brake linings hitch damper (unnecessarily) and if I were to keep it it needs tyres  a resealing job around the front windows  and I suspect  floor delamination . I should have bit the bullet 12 months ago.   A manufacturer only gets one chance with us and it wouldnt be Lunar.

When we bought our first Lunar we were intending to buy a Bailey initially. However the seating was so much less comfortable in the Bailey and as, like you, we are away for 4 months of the year that was important.  

P. S. you spelled my name right :) 👍

1 hour ago, Easy T said:

When we bought our first Lunar we were intending to buy a Bailey initially. However the seating was so much less comfortable in the Bailey and as, like you, we are away for 4 months of the year that was important.  

P. S. you spelled my name right :) 👍

I believe EasyT that the Bailey seating is foam whereas Lunar has sprung cushions. ...

I think that is correct Charlie for the main seating but no longer for the dinette seats. We replaced our 2012 Lunar Clubman ES with a 2018 model in December last year after visiting the NEC to try the competition. After using the 2012 model for 600 nights away over 5 years the seating had retained its shape and comfort. We use the front seats as two 6'4'' x 25'' single beds and so the seating was doubly important